Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever swapped the front froks on a 1999 ZX6R with a newer year.

I am looking at swapping to 2005 front forks and would like to know what is involved.

Can I use the 99 triple tree or do I need the 05?

Is there a better front end to swap to then a 2005?

I want to upgrade the brake system from axial mout to radial mount for better control.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ive been doing tons of research on it. you will need the stem from the 99 if the stem from the 05 is different (you would need to punch the 05 stem out and press the 99 stem in from the bottom triple, yes you need the triple tree from the 05). you would need a 05 front wheel, axle, and spacers, only unless the axle and spacers from the 99 fit on the forks (doubt it, or you can make your own spacers). same clipons and brake system as the 05.

·
Registered
649 Posts
dead on

ive done this on mine he's correct you also need a custom spacer made , for where the 99 stem comes up into the 05 upper triple.any machine shop can make it foir you for like 50 -75 dollars

Ive been doing tons of research on it. you will need the stem from the 99 if the stem from the 05 is different (you would need to punch the 05 stem out and press the 99 stem in from the bottom triple, yes you need the triple tree from the 05). you would need a 05 front wheel, axle, and spacers, only unless the axle and spacers from the 99 fit on the forks (doubt it, or you can make your own spacers). same clipons and brake system as the 05.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I found getting the front end off the zx12 was an easy swap most mostly just bolts on but now have moved on tho the zx10 front that was a bit more tricky as I kept the zx12 yokes and had to get some shims made to fit the forks and spacers for the wheel

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
i read that the older frames arent meant for the stiffer springs the newer forks have, it would put too much stress on the frame. i doubt this is true right? also zx6chris did the zx10 forks use a different axle size? how did you get around that if it was a different size? i really want to swap some zx10r forks on to mine but the axle difference could make it or break it since i would be running 2 different rims and i dont want that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts