Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride of the year on the ZX6R. Went over the hill (Wairarapa) to The Glad and found a friend! Yep...two 6R's!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Gorgeous day by the river...

Sky Plant Furniture Table Cloud

Just a short stroll...

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Which was looking pretty low! Still a few jetboats (another Kiwi invention!) out there using it...

Sky Cloud Plant Flower Natural landscape

Interesting company...

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Had to stop and get a picture of the awesome Bruce McLaren go-kart (complete with aerodynamic wing - yep, another Kiwi invention lol).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Sky

Gladstone is such an awesome area. The local farmers have a competition to out-do each other with their Scare-crow designs.

Had a lovely ride back in 32 degree C weather...heaven.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Supposed to get up to 29*f today, and while all the secondary roads are still covered in snow and ice, I am going to try and test ride a 2005 R6 so I can get it the fuck out of here today.......... sadly no sunshine at all to go with the warmest temp in weeks

only about 3 blocks of shit roads to navigate slowly to get to the highway system

• Wow
Reactions: Sanctuary

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with the R6! I think you guys are mental riding in those temps. I ride year-long but we're lucky to see snow here. Worst we see is a few days with black ice.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
The roads get better sooner, the longer you cannot ride......
Good luck with the R6! I think you guys are mental riding in those temps. I ride year-long but we're lucky to see snow here. Worst we see is a few days with black ice.
Sometimes it is neccesity, and it seamed to only get up to 26* and without the benefit of sunshine either it was very cold moving along at 55mph, then stop and remain frozen (no sunshine warming black leather)...test ride ended up being shortened significantly to only about 2 miles after about a 10 minute idle session while I got on gear and skated out of the parking lot and down the side road to get to main roads- where I still occassionally had to stear clear of the compacted hard ice shelf in part of the lane

But yes......... I have no doubt we will still see a 40* day or close to this month, and if the snow has been at bay for a substantially long enough time by then that the roads are drenched in brine I usually take my own bike out for a few hours just to get some seat time and alone quiet time and throttle therapy, usually end up spendning more time getting ready to go and ready to put it back away than any actual ride. I like to get out and ride atleast one day a month in winter if at all possible even when less than ideal and less than enjoyable--hell I went all the way down to Texas a few winters just to ride a couple days when we sat below zero for a couple weeks straight.. Sometimes the "need" to ride outweighs the suck of riding

case in point, that R6....yesterday.......... 8 minutes total of seat time, more than 10 minutes to depart, and more than an hour to wash and dry it upon return. it was more than 2 hours from the time it was wheeled out to the time it was wheeled back into a spot to wait on the owner to pick it up...all for just a 2 mile test ride........

sucks to ride in this shit..... and the cold is not always the worst part and cleaning off salt and yuk is a major part of the suck

• Wow
Reactions: Sanctuary
1 - 6 of 6 Posts