Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Had the opportunity to help a guy out this weekend and did a valve adjustment inspection, smog block-off plates, iridium spark plugs, a K&N airbox filter and a new chain. It was refreshing to see how refined and easy the bike was to work on as compared to mine. Did the entire job in one day (all valve clearances were within spec). Below are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
The hardest part for me checking clearance on the valve train is getting to the rear valves, and replacing the valve cover so it seats correctly. Lots of crap in the way at the front right corner.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hardest part for me checking clearance on the valve train is getting to the rear valves, and replacing the valve cover so it seats correctly. Lots of crap in the way at the front right corner.
I can confirm that for sure; tighter than my bike and it's much harder to view the timing marks. I will say though, easiest disassembly I've done in a while. Makes me reeeaaally want this as my next bike.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Overall I have been pretty happy with mine. Nearly 60K miles of living with it since ‘12; it’s better with a fresh shock on the back than at any point before that. Did you get a chance to ride that one after you worked on it?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overall I have been pretty happy with mine. Nearly 60K miles of living with it since ‘12; it’s better with a fresh shock on the back than at any point before that. Did you get a chance to ride that one after you worked on it?
I did not, I'm not a big fan of riding other people's bikes personally - just a me thing I guess.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I hear a high-end rear shock is everything...

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
The fork is IMHO stiffly sprung for the street. I have the preload backed out almost entirely to get it as soft as possible and it works well enough that I have not had to change springs.

There is indeed a substantial improvement with an aftermarket rear shock, particularly compared to a high mileage OEM shock. Good dampingis hard to beat.

when the chassis is stable (no bobbing or rocking fire-aft) the steering becomes razor sharp. Not quicker, just vastly more consistent and predictable.

Definitely a good upgrade

1 - 8 of 8 Posts