Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time I went down was on Friday on my 2007 zx6r. Was going around a corner and ended up lowsiding. Wasn't cornering hard at all, and it felt as if it just came out from underneath me. Didn't even know it was happening, so I didn't grab the brake or panic at all. Was just countersteering, leaning, looking through the corner, and it just slid out. Ended up braking my scapula, but my gear pretty much saved me from some serious damage. The bike and myself landed in a ditch a couple hundred feet down the road, inches from being on a tree.

Anyways, the bike was surprisingly okay. The right side took all the damage. The rear brake bracket (rearset?) had broken, and I replaced it before. The fairings are obviously scratched to all hell, but I'm lucky to walk away from an accident like that considering I landed in a ditch. The only question I have is inside where the turn signal is housed, the panel holding it together broke off on the opposite side. So whatever is holding my turn signal is place pretty much broke off. The signal still works, but it isnt being held on. I tried looking but can't find the part # so I can order it. Would you guys happen to know what is it? Thanks in advance guys:O

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sorry to hear man, good thing you are ok. I'm not really understanding what you mean about your turn signal tho. Also I see that you are from NJ, you guys must be experience the same chilly weather we are in Michigan. Do you think it was just cold tires on cold pavement that caused it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear man, good thing you are ok. I'm not really understanding what you mean about your turn signal tho. Also I see that you are from NJ, you guys must be experience the same chilly weather we are in Michigan. Do you think it was just cold tires on cold pavement that caused it?
I actually just found the part. On the diagram from 2007 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600P7F) Cowling Lowers (P7F) | Babbitts Kawasaki Parts House , its #55028Q. The piece literally just broke off and its causing my signal to just hang as well. Yeah NJ has been having some pretty chilly weather. I had been riding for 30 minutes before that, so it could have been that to be honest.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I actually just found the part. On the diagram from 2007 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600P7F) Cowling Lowers (P7F) | Babbitts Kawasaki Parts House , its #55028Q. The piece literally just broke off and its causing my signal to just hang as well. Yeah NJ has been having some pretty chilly weather. I had been riding for 30 minutes before that, so it could have been that to be honest.
yea but just casual riding in this type of weather isn't going to heat your tires up enough for maximum grip. Even on warm 80 degree days, I take it easy on my tires for at least half hour or more until I start pushing it. Cold pavement will suck the heat from your tires too, plus you have to factor wind chill.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'd say 30mins is enough time for tires to warm up enough to have enough traction even in cold weather, assuming you're not pushing through corners very fast. Was it day/night? Maybe something oil or debris that you didn't see in time..?

either way, cool that no major injury and that you found the part you need.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably some junk in the road... did your suspension feel overly hard that day?
Not at all, had been riding the day before that as well. Decided to go for a quick ride and 40 minutes into it I went down. I went back the next day and check the road. Im thinking it was possible oil / debris

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have no reason to doubt you, but try really hard to not write off braking, body position, speed, etc as factors for the crash. The absolute best thing you can do is to try and learn from something you did wrong, this is a great way to gain experience and skill.

Again, not saying you're wrong (I obviously am in no position to say that), just asking to to really reflect and think about how you were loading the tire, and under what conditions you were loading the tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no reason to doubt you, but try really hard to not write off braking, body position, speed, etc as factors for the crash. The absolute best thing you can do is to try and learn from something you did wrong, this is a great way to gain experience and skill.

Again, not saying you're wrong (I obviously am in no position to say that), just asking to to really reflect and think about how you were loading the tire, and under what conditions you were loading the tire.
I agree with you 100%. I'm sure as a new rider I am did not have the perfect body position, etc. But I am taking this as a learning lesson and now know what I need to do differently next time. Just waiting on my shoulder to heal back up before I hop back on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That suck man, I just took mine out today and its 32 degrees outside. I take my corners with as little lean as possible just in case the cold trys to do me in. I'm sure you hit something slick on the road, live and ya learn I guess. Not sure about the part your trying to find, call your closest dealer and talk to someone from parts. They will guild you in the right direction and then just order the part off Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki ATV Parts up to 40% Off to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
What tires were you running and what pressure were they just before you went out for your ride? I've found you can push fairly hard in cold weather but you do have to work your way up to it. It doesn't really matter how "long" you ride but how "hard" you ride. That is running 30 minutes of straights with little acceleration/braking does nothing to warm up tires. So on cold days when you get into the twisties you want to start easy and gradually get more agressive. I've found I can get pretty agressive if I work up to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts