Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get my first bike. I'm 5'10 190lbs, and thinking a 600 would fit my first bike needs best. I found a couple zx6rs on Craigslist. First is a 2011 zx6r, don't know the miles, asking $6500. Second is a very clean looking white 06 zx6r with 27000, one owner, along $4000. I can't decide which is a better deal. Looking for opinions on the bikes and on me being a new rider. thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
As long as either bike has been taken care of either one would be good. Of course make sure you ask the basic questions. Clean title or not, has the bike ever been down, any mods done to it, did he/she do his/her own maintenance or by a certified shop, stuff like that.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The 09-12 gen's are very much track oriented.

The 03-04 and 05-06 are very much street oriented.

It really depends on what you want to do and which one you like better.

Advice as a new rider?
If you're set on starting on a 600, just take it easy. Wear all your gear everytime you ride, learn your machine, be vigilant of your surroundings, always have a plan and a backup plan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
600s do have a lot of get up and go so just take it easy, mine had two bad cylinders when i first got it and it still pulled the front wheel on me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 5 ft 8 about 150 and got a 600 as my first bike. No need to get anything higher and no need for anything small. I love it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can get an 05-06 cheaper than that with that many miles.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend starting on a 600. A lot of people don't learn the necessary skills to properly ride at the street or track and just gave up or get scared of the bike. It's your first bike, not your last bike. With all the new 300cc models you can get a great deal if you intend to keep the bike, plus no worries since its under warranty. I started on a ninja 300 and even did track days with it stock, then bought a 2014 zx6r and I am constantly learning new techniques on both. Skills and trusting your bike are worth more than what you ride.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend starting on a 600. A lot of people don't learn the necessary skills to properly ride at the street or track and just gave up or get scared of the bike. It's your first bike, not your last bike. With all the new 300cc models you can get a great deal if you intend to keep the bike, plus no worries since its under warranty. I started on a ninja 300 and even did track days with it stock, then bought a 2014 zx6r and I am constantly learning new techniques on both. Skills and trusting your bike are worth more than what you ride.
This isn't bad advice. On the other hand, some people bore quickly and a small bike ends up being a waste... I was lucky enough to start on a freebie Suzuki 80, so my first street bike was a 750 cruiser, before I decided I like sport and got a zx6r.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My first bike was a 600 .. I'm 6 feet tall 190 lbs . Perfect bike for me .. all be it it was a 1998 zx6r . But since then all I've had was zx6r machines ... in all honesty it is a perfect bike to learn on AS LONG as you respect the throttle and the rules of the road ! .

Take it slow at first to gain all of your basic skills !

Good luck with your find . If I was you I'd go with the newer bike (depending on miles) It's only 2500 more . In my eyes youre getting a semi new bike !

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My first street bike was an 02 ZX6R and it worked out fine. But I had had previous experience. My prior bike was a 250 YZFP (dirt). If you have a few years of experience you should be Ok. Just be aware at all times, make a conscious effort to always pay attention to your use of the throttle. You control how fast you go... And take a few rides either in a huge parking lot or down some quiet residential street before you take to main streets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts