Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm brand new to the site. I just returned home from service in the usmc and have finally gotten my M license and am very eager to get a bike for the season. I have been riding a relative's Honda f3 to get comfortable and after a short while, started going crazy looking for bikes. Just a short background for everybody reading.

After following up on several craigslist ads and seeing that a lot of ads are misleading, I have now put a refundable deposit on a 2004 zx6r at a very reputable dealership in my area....but it has just under 40,000 miles.

I have done tons of research, as well as getting opinions from many motorcycle enthusiasts I know, and the opinions seem very mixed, so my next step is getting opinions from fellow zx6r owners. Let me say first that I know, with proper maintenance and respect, that they can go well over 40k. The shop does a twice over look on their bikes once they are purchased, they supposedly look up and down and make sure nothing is wrong. They are asking $3999.

Just looking insightful opinions on this mileage, things I should look for on the bike, etc etc. Just trying to do the right thing for my first bike.

Thank you all that give your time to read and answer my question.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's too expensive for that bike.

Have you tried craigslist?

·
Registered
101 Posts
After following up on several craigslist ads and seeing that a lot of ads are misleading, I have now put a refundable deposit on a 2004 zx6r at a very reputable dealership in my area....but it has just under 40,000 miles.
That's too expensive for that bike.

Have you tried craigslist?
:coocoo

Anyways, too much and don't buy from a stealership IMO. :O

My advice would be patient. I know when I had my 250 for a while and got to the point where I wanted to upgrade, all I wanted was a new bike. I almost went out and bought the first bike I came across. After a little time and luck, I found a really good bike for a great deal from a local bike mechanic.

Look for a local shop and inquire with them. Sometimes they buy a decent bike from a insurance or repo company, clean em up, and sell em. Otherwise, keep skowering craigslist, cycletrader, and what not.

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it." - Arnold H Glasow

PS. Thank you for your service :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I got my 2006 for 3800 with 12k miles.

4g plus tax is wayy too much for a sportbike with such milage.

you'd need to redo EVERYTHING!

Valve Clearance Adjustment
brake lines
brake pads
clean out brake calipers/pistons and put in new Seals
rebuild forks with new seals and fresh oil
swap out rear shock for something with only a quarter of the milage
wheel bearings
tires
chain
front and rear sprocket
steering stem bearings
coolant change
oil and filter change
air filter change (clean K&N with their cleaning kit)
spark plugs

that's roughly 2500 in parts if you made smart choices with shopping

that would also be around 30hrs in labour with a private bike shop who knows what he's doing. or you better know bike mechanic yourself but all that would take me 3 months besides working my day job.

this is all just maintenance without much fancy bling stuff or performance parts.

That is the basics IF the bike got no electrical or fuel system issues.

Stay away from that bike. it's no deal whatsoever. Especially not for your first bike.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm fine with high mileage bikes FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

Listen to Eileen (ilean2much) about that parts list and everything you'd need to do.

Put it this way, I bought my 05 with 4950 on the bike for $3950. You can find much much better deals than that, my friend. And as always, haggle on the price. Everybody is negotiable no matter what they say.

And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Not high mileage at all. Drop that thought. Just pass and don't buy froma dealer. They probably have him 1500 ,pass

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with the "be patient with craigslist" crowd on this one- shopped around at dealerships and CL for a few months before getting my 05 with 17000 miles for just over 3 grand from a CL private sale. The mileage to cost ratio you're looking at is pretty steep-

·
Registered
14,211 Posts
Hi everybody. I'm brand new to the site. I just returned home from service in the usmc and have finally gotten my M license and am very eager to get a bike for the season. I have been riding a relative's Honda f3 to get comfortable and after a short while, started going crazy looking for bikes. Just a short background for everybody reading.

I have done tons of research, as well as getting opinions from many motorcycle enthusiasts I know, and the opinions seem very mixed, so my next step is getting opinions from fellow zx6r owners. Let me say first that I know, with proper maintenance and respect, that they can go well over 40k. The shop does a twice over look on their bikes once they are purchased, they supposedly look up and down and make sure nothing is wrong. They are asking $3999.

Just looking insightful opinions on this mileage, things I should look for on the bike, etc etc. Just trying to do the right thing for my first bike.

Thank you all that give your time to read and answer my question.
1st, thank you for your service.

2nd...... this is probably not the right bike for you, unless you are mechanically inclined and can beat the bejeezuz out of them on the price.

FWIW, I have no issue with the mileage, if it were a one owner bike. 5K/yr? that's just enough to make sure nothing is gummed up. My 2009 has 28K miles on it and runs like a scalded cat. It had 12 on it when I bought it in 2012. -- I've had to replace the stator, the regulator/rectifier, and feed it tires. I got lucky in that I was the third owner, rather than the 6th or 7th.

It's obvious the first owner kept the bike very nearly stock, and at least started out keeping excellent records. The guy I bought it from only put 2K miles on it and flipped it to me at a profit. I bought it because there were very, very few modifications, and it was exceptionally clean -- no dings or scrapes, no fluids leaking, everything on the bike worked.

This is not a common situation..... a dealership buys low and sells high. They will pummel you on price, because you are an easy mark and have never bought a bike before. In reality, private sales will do the same thing, with no warranty or legal recourse if you get hosed. You have less options on service plans, etc., as well.

If you want to pursue that bike at that price, I would suggest you get the dealership to do ALL of the routine maintenance as part of the deal at no additional cost. New chain and sprockets, new tires, new brake pads, service (swap out) all fluids and filters. ADJUST THE VALVES. Download the service manual for that bike from this site.... look at the maintenance schedule, and price out what all of the work you can assume has not been done will cost. You need a new battery, too...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, thank you for your service, my fellow brother. My contract with the Army still has 4 years left on it. :p

If you want to pursue that bike at that price, I would suggest you get the dealership to do ALL of the routine maintenance as part of the deal at no additional cost. New chain and sprockets, new tires, new brake pads, service (swap out) all fluids and filters. ADJUST THE VALVES. Download the service manual for that bike from this site.... look at the maintenance schedule, and price out what all of the work you can assume has not been done will cost. You need a new battery, too...
I agree 100% with this. Make the dealership cover all the routine maintenance on it. They simply want too much for the amount of miles on it, but with maintenance thrown in, it helps out a lot price wise.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Like everyone else, that is too much money for that bike, unless;

If you had service records that documented all work back several years
It came with new tires (or newish)
fresh tune up service including all the fluids(or atleast done in the past 5k) the chain/sprockets are relatively new (under 10k for sure, preferably much less)
The bike would have to be in excellent physical condition too and no leaks (forks, oil,shock etc),
battery be relatively new (atleast less than 2 years old)
Clean title, no salvage title
And a test ride proved the transmission to shift smoothly and all the gears work well, the clutch lever puls nicely (like a freshly lubed cable and pivot bushing would make it), the brakes stop well, it accelerates hard

I bet if they have no documentation on any service history and from an appearance standpoint it looks good (obviously look at brake pads, chain/sprockets, tires, brake fluid color, oil in the window is at the correct level and looks clean etc as part of your physical inspection) you could buy that for $3000 or less, even from the dealer.

If they can provide documentation of doing the valve adjustment, and some other service history it may be worth closer to the asking price but even in a perfect case scenario I think 4k is too much for a 10 year old 40k bike.

Locally here most bikes (600 sportbikes)of that age (03-06)are under 20k and sell in the low 3000-3500 range when they are in excellent shape, the rougher ones are in the 2500 range
You get to the 07-09/10 models with mileages in the teens and dealers ask around 5k-6k, but often they sell for less than 5k, sometimes close to 4.5k

I know you say you have exhuasted Craigslist, but I have found many deals to be had and nearly always have been able to buy for hundreds, sometimes more than a thousand less than what they ask for simply by nitpicking the bike to death and then throwing my cash offer on the seat as a take it or good bye.
Be patient and keep searching unless you really think that bike is in excellent condition and meets some of the outlined criteria, even then negotiate the price down.
Not that I believe KBB or NADA to a T but ;

Your Street: Sport Value

2004 Kawasaki ZX636-B2 Ninja ZX-6R

Suggested Retail Value

Excellent Condition$3,555----------Note the excellent condition

when purchasing from a dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everybody, thank you for your insight. Since I have the deposit already on it, I'm going to at least go in there and try to see if they can provide documentation on service, see how many owners it had, etc. the dealership offers warranties, I'll see if they'll throw something my way no charge. This dealer is hard to haggle with, but perhaps with credible opinions from you all, I'll have the ammunition to work out a deal to even out the negatives with this asking price.

My cousin is pretty mechanically inclined and I will bring him along for his insight as well.

I'll keep combing craigslist, but while this bike is still "mine" under deposit, I may as well try haggling.

So it looks like my checklist so far is:
-get service documentation
-previous owner history
-my own/cousin's inspection of bike in the showroom
-assuming the above gets done to satisfaction, then,
-persuade to include warranty
-allow test ride to check breaks, acceleration, transmission.
-persuade to include some routine service
-get proof of new, or close to new, tires, breaks, fluids
-possibly a price drop if some of the above cannot be fulfilled

Am I missing anything?

I appreciate all of the advice and input so far. It is opening my eyes more than they were.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'd say even with all that stuff done, I still wouldn't pay more than $3,250 or a little more. Warranty won't be long if you even get them to throw it on top, plus you'll still need to replace a lot of parts on the bike with those miles, and for that price after all that you'd be better off finding one with low miles honestly.

Number one priority, don't rush into this sale. I've done it before and it leads to no good. If the bike has problems they're almost guaranteed not to show up on the test ride but in the first month of owning it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts