Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not a professional rider but I'd like to share my thoughts with the forum, from a "normal rider's" point of view, on my first impressions of my Red 2007 ZX-6R. I'll try to make it brief, but informative. Enjoy.

When I first saw this bike on the showroom floor I really liked the body style. I sat on it and realized that not only is it a really nice looking bike, but it is rather comfortable as well. I sat on the '07 Yamaha R6 and the '07 Honda 600 RR and the Ninja overall had the best riding posture, seat cushion and windscreen height (although still a bit low for street riding). And no, I didn't even consider a Gixxer, so I did not bother sitting on it.

So I bought it. When I turned the key for the first time I was disappointed at the sound that came from the exhaust. Oh well, I'll have to get an aftermarket can sooner than later. When I put it in gear and rolled on the throttle the bike felt extremely tamed. So I took the back road home to free it up a bit. I quickly realized that the "sweetspot" on the powerband of this bike is up top starting at around 8500 RPMs. It doesn't have very much low end torque. However, once the torque kicks in the acceleration is very smooth and powerful.

Out in the twisties is where this bike earns major points. The Bridgestone BT015's are great tires, but you could probably slap some plastic tires on this bike and still tear up the twisties. This bike rolls into corners effortlessly. It took me no time to roll to the edge of the sidewall on both sides of my rear tire. I can't wait for my first track day on this thing.

This bike is very comfortable as a commuter as well. Again, with the handlebar positioning and seat cushion being great I can ride all day on the Ninja. The positive neutral switch is great in stop and go traffic. Oh, the project beam headlights are bright as hell. At night I only ride my low beam and the width and distance it covers is very good.

I could go on about other things on the bike but overall, I think the 2007 ZX-6R is a nice package. Below are some of my likes and dislikes.

Dislikes:
very little low end torque
I wish it came with a black lower fairing
exhaust note doesn't scream "I'm a super sport"

great body styling
sporty, but comfortable riding posture

Must haves:
Power Commander
aftermarket exhaust
fender eliminator
a sticker or two to break up the solid color scheme

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great review, Hood!

I was curious to know what other 07 owner's thought as well. I guess I'll check back in later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The bike is great in the twisties and especially at track days.

Yes low end is lacking but a -1 & +2 should solve that.

The bike is even sicker with DOT race rubber on it. Front end feel is just incredible for OEM suspension. Brakes are good out of the box. The clutch is outstanding especially when banging down several gears going into corners. The tranny is very smooth and fuel injection is precise.

The horrible noise the top end makes kind of bums me out and getting the filter off for the first oil change was not fun.

Other than that it's an outstanding handling bike that was clearly designed for the track day type rider.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep - I agree with your review - and I pretty much did all the things you mentioend, as well as I'm putting on my -1 front sprocket tomorrow!! I also found that after dyno tuning the bike, the raspy noises on the top end definately started sounding better!

Enjoy it!! The bike gets smoother and more fun with time..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey mbonadia, does that LED taillight light up dim during normal riding? I don't care about it being lit in the daytime but at night I'd like to know I can be seen from behind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah - the LED is pretty bright - esp. at night. I was surprised!! I still think the stock taillight is brighter though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, thanks :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts