Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say that hypothetically, while doing a valve adjustment, you take off the camshafts and camchain tensioner and then spin the crank shafts an unknown amount of times until you land at TDC #1,4. How would you know if you're on the compression stroke of 1 or the compression stroke of 4? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does not matter, 1/4 is at top dead center the same time. It is clearly marked on the side of the timing rotor where to line the crankshaft up with the timing marks.
The only thing that matters is how you put in the camshafts, they have to be timed as the manual states, then you will have the correct timing and stroke accordingly.
The pistons just go up and down, while the camshafts pushes the valves open at the point they are supposed to.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's very helpful and a huge relief.

Is it a wasted spark system? I guess my fear was that I might be 180 degrees off, so the spark plugs would fire on the exhaust instead of compression strokes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. That's very helpful and a huge relief.

Is it a wasted spark system? I guess my fear was that I might be 180 degrees off, so the spark plugs would fire on the exhaust instead of compression strokes.
If you mount the camshafts wrong you can still be 180 off, but if you check the manual carefully it states exactly how the in/exhaust marks shall be, and the pictures show for reference, I used the bolt pattern on the camshaft sprockets to confirm, as they can't be mounted wrong (assymetrical)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts