Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So after a few weeks of sorting and repairs, my 2009 Kawasaki is finally street-legal and on the road. The bike had 400 miles on the odometer when I first fired her up and she still has less than 500. But I didn't break in the engine like the manual recommends. I tried until my buddies decided to go on a group ride. lol.

After riding it for a few days, I can report back that the bike is a screamer for a middleweight. I used to ride a CBR1000RR and although this bike isn't as fast on the top end, it's still pretty quick. I had no trouble keeping up with a Gixxer 750 and 1000 on some backroads. I lost them in the corners, because the bike feels almost like a 250 when you start leaning over.

The bike does have some issues though. The ergonomics aren't very comfy. And the bike is VERY twitchy at 9/10ths. The twitchiness was so bad that I thought I was gonna lose it at one point, and pulled back on the throttle. I understand that 600s have lighter front ends, so that may have something to do with it.

My literbike was rock-steady at all-out speeds, even when cornering. But it also had a built-in electronic steering damper and wider tires. I guess I'll have to fiddle with the suspension on my new bike, like i did with my previous bike. Despite the issues, I still had fun riding and am glad I downgraded. I wanted a 600 for riding curvy backroads, and this should work nicely.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice bike.

I just downgraded from to a 600 after being liter bikes for years. It takes a little bit to get used to the different power the 600 makes compared to a liter bike. You'll get used to it be happy about your decision after you adjust your front end and put a 190 rear tire on it.

Reactions: drbyers

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The only twitchyness I ever feel is if I hit gravel mid-knee drag. Could be that the guy before you played with the suspension, or there may be a fork issue? Never heard of a 600 being twitchy in a corner, since you should be able to lean further on the 6 than the 1000 you had.

·
Super Moderator
12,508 Posts
What tires and pressures are you running. I have conti's and they twitch like a mofo. I am sure some of that is holding too tight on the bars, but some I am blaming on the tires.
Ey3

The above is especially true if I run the "recommended pressure"

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I have conti's too. Not horrible but don't feel super grounded till the warm up. I have like, 5mm chicken strips but I'm running 10mm wider than stock :laugh

·
Super Moderator
12,508 Posts
I have conti's too. Not horrible but don't feel super grounded till the warm up. I have like, 5mm chicken strips but I'm running 10mm wider than stock :laugh
I never really do what I would call pushing it on the street, but cold and overfilled they do move more than I would like. Lower pressure causes them to warm up faster. Once warm I don't think I've ever had any real issues.
Ey3

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm running 34/36 or 34/38 for tire pressure front and rear.

All I know is that there is definite twitchiness when riding high speed curves. I't unsettling. I'm gonna try to play with the suspension settings and tire pressure this weekend before I end up in a ditch.

I would compare the twitchiness to the very first stages of the classic "death wobble" right before you crash. I was riding above 120 mph when trying to weight the inside pedal while leaning into a wide curve. I never had the problem with my CBR1000RR.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention that I still have the original Bridgestone Battlaxes on the bike. They were basically brand new and NO they didn't have any cracking or dry rot. That's the first thing I inspected on the bike.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the bike dropped? The rear wheel could be misaligned, or one or both wheels could be unbalanced.
Yeah, the bike was dropped now that i think about it. It's basically show room floor new still though, and my bike mechanic buddy put on a new chain, so I know the rear is not out of alignment. I probably just need to sort out the suspension.

I guess I better head to cyclegear and get a spanner wrench...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'd still check the rear alignment for shits and giggles. You can put it on stand and in neutral, spin the rear and keep a straight edged ruler across the tire (zip tie it too your upper fairing if need be. Watch the center line closely on the tire, and see if it deviates from the center you found on the ruler.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Also check that your fork angle from the frame is the EXACT same as the andle in the manual from both sides. These little checks can save you from a devastating crash.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I forgot to mention that I still have the original Bridgestone Battlaxes on the bike. They were basically brand new and NO they didn't have any cracking or dry rot. That's the first thing I inspected on the bike.
The stock tires suck absolute donkey dick. I changed mine out after 800 or so miles, they would constantly slide out, and feel very unstable.

Also the pressures you're running are way high for me. I stick to 31/32 street 29/28 track. Wears on the tires quicker, but much more confidence inspiring knowing you have more contact patch on the ground. Mind you, those pressures work great for me, maybe not so much for you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The stock tires suck absolute donkey dick. I changed mine out after 800 or so miles, they would constantly slide out, and feel very unstable.

Also the pressures you're running are way high for me. I stick to 31/32 street 29/28 track. Wears on the tires quicker, but much more confidence inspiring knowing you have more contact patch on the ground. Mind you, those pressures work great for me, maybe not so much for you.
I disagree. A warmed up bt016 is not a bad street tire even cranked over with 31/32 in em. Remember your on the street. Id check you werent death gripping your bars.

·
Super Moderator
12,508 Posts
I disagree. A warmed up bt016 is not a bad street tire even cranked over with 31/32 in em. Remember your on the street. Id check you werent death gripping your bars.
This too tight on the bars transfers the natural searching of the front end to the rear and makes small twitches seem way worse.
Ey3

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No death grip. I used to employ the death grip when I first started riding my liter bike out of sheer terror. The ZX6r feels like a bicycle in comparison, until the shakes come along.

I lean into turns instead of relying on arm-wrestling the handlebars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts