Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I did my first Motorcycle commute.

Was running late though when I hit Edinburgh City Centre. (Classic Mcdonalds stop and thinking i can get anywhere in 10 mins on a bike)

So I just John Rambo'd it if you like.

Went around people in traffic even on single lane roads even going up the inside #fuckit. I guess I was like a Pizza Delivery guy.... Was slow moving so didn't actually you know do anything too dangerous I think..

So I was wondering what's the etiquette for it?

Do you guys play it safe or do you "enjoy the perks" to a motorcycle?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Personally, I see no point in commuting on a bike unless you are going to take advantage of the fact that you can lane split.

That being said, do it at a controlled pace and be very alert. You can never be too careful.
Do you lane split up in NY? I mean obviously not now, but have you?

I've lane split a few times but I'm always looking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I play it safe, splitting traffic is not legal where I live and I don't consider it to be very safe. I prefer to leave a few minutes early. Also, I hate riding in traffic. My bikes are for enjoyment, I rarely get into traffic with them.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
I sometimes split if I'm say second or third in line at a light, and no pigs around. I use the rule of if I would not put my car in a spot I won't put my bike in it.
Ey3

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can't imagine not lane splitting.. Must be a rush knowin it's illegal lol. I like to play it safe most the times depending on the situations and current mood but I do enjoy the perks of having a motorcycle (lane splitting, passing people, riding faster than I should) like they said just be alert and cautious at all times expectin the worst

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Personally, I see no point in commuting on a bike unless you are going to take advantage of the fact that you can lane split.

That being said, do it at a controlled pace and be very alert. You can never be too careful.
Are you guys allowed to lane split in NY?

It's not allowed in AZ. I cheat a bit sometimes but only during bumper to bumper. I'll sometimes use the bicycle lane (at a red light only) to get a jump on part of my commute that is single lane and no passing zones for like 6 miles and it's mostly populated by ancient rich people going well under the speed limit in their Bently's

·
Registered
715 Posts
Are you guys allowed to lane split in NY?

It's not allowed in AZ. I cheat a bit sometimes but only during bumper to bumper. I'll sometimes use the bicycle lane (at a red light only) to get a jump on part of my commute that is single lane and no passing zones for like 6 miles and it's mostly populated by ancient rich people going well under the speed limit in their Bently's
This is the only time I've "lane-split". I use the bike lane to get a bit ahead sometimes but not all that often.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I take advantage all the time. I always go to the front of traffic lights and I park in the spots close to stores with the lines marked on them.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Yes, I lane split in NY. I lane split wherever I ride if there is traffic, but I always do it in a fairly controlled manner.

I commuted from Manhattan to Stamford CT every day for close to 3 years and lane split to and from work each and every day.

And no, it is NOT legal in NY, but the only place it is legal is Cali.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just remember to cover the brake.

Lane splitting/filtering was one of the (small) reasons I got a bike. My commute time when from anywhere between 25 min and 1.5 hours. The bike is 14 min. regardless of traffic. Such a perk to get more of your life back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I play it safe, splitting traffic is not legal where I live and I don't consider it to be very safe. I prefer to leave a few minutes early. Also, I hate riding in traffic. My bikes are for enjoyment, I rarely get into traffic with them.
In my opinion, splitting lanes in traffic is much safer then not. I wouldn't even ride on the interstate during rush hour traffic if i couldn't lane split for fear of having a 4000 lb piece of metal shoved up my ass from a texting driver.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I do it mainly in DC, sometimes in MD if traffic is bad. As far as etiquette, I try to show cagers a good example of lane splitting, but I have no illusions that most of them don't like seeing me do it. It bugs them, and they would rather I be stuck beside them burning up, so fuck them. I get by any which way I can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts