Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 07 ZX6r early this year in february and it was running great until a few weeks back the FI code 56 started showing up. I checked the repair manual and code was for Radiator Fan Relay open or short.

Of course this resulted in my radiator fan not kicking in when my coolant temp went pas 212-214 deg F. So I have stopped riding my bike and I started diagnosing the issue setp by step as follows:
1) Checked the radiator fan and it runs fine when I feed 13V DC to its terminal - so no issue with radiator fan for sure
2) Removed the relay box and checked the Radiator Fan relay using 13V DC connection and made sure the relay closes fine (i could hear the click and the resistance drops from infinity to 1ohm) - so the radiator fan relay also seems to working fine.
3) Check the ECU for Power and Ground - this is the setp where I am stuck at.

Since getting to the ECU requires lot of steps, I wonder if there is a easy way to verify that my frame ground on my motorcycle is connected fine.

Can anyone help me finding the frame ground to make sure that my ECU ground is working fine. Apart from the radiator fan not working, everything else works fine and my bike runs totally fine until it cololant temp reaches around 220 deg F. Of course I stop riding once it gets close to 220 deg F or jump my radiator fan to cool the engine down before I start riding again.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
If your chassis ground was bad you'd have a lot more issues. You've done a good job so far of diagnosing the problem. Have you checked continuity of all the wires in the system? You've proven that the fan works and the relay works, so now you need to find where the signal is being lost.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would first start by swapping out the relay, simple $5 "known good part" will save you the uneasy feeling that maybe your relay IS the problem. I've seen plenty of relays with a very audible "click" that don't actually make contact.

After that, you need to make sure that the two independent sides of the relay are receiving and sending power. Start with the bike cold, and feed power to the terminal that runs to the fan. When the fan turns on, you know that the circuit from that point forward is intact and functional. Then run the bike and let it warm up to the point that the ECU should turn the fan on. Check to see that the ECU is trying to switch the relay. I'm not sure if it adds power or closes ground, but a wiring diagram will solve that riddle pretty easily. Check to make sure that the ECU is switching the relay by testing at the relay, this ensures that the wiring between the two is intact and functional. You'll find a problem at one of three places: the ECU side, the fan side, or the relay.

ALso, remember to clear the light after every supposed fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.