Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start the process of removing most of the old fairing and rebuilding it for my Zx6R 2005 after a lady decided to pull out on me at a roundabout and I slammed into the side of her. Luckily I managed to turn away from the car a bit and stayed on my feet without dropping it.

Anyway the damage didn't look too bad at first glance but then the insurance company took it and quoted a rebuild cost of £5500 therefore writing the bike off. They offered me £3400 and they'd take the bike or £2400 and I get the bike back. I kept the bike obviously.

I haven't actually got it back yet as I'm out of the country but the list of things to replace is a long one. I don't think I need to replace half of it though. They wanted to replace every part that had a scuff mark which was just not neccesary.

Couple of things I probably do need to replace are the headlamps and the fairing stay bracket. Are these easy enough to do? I have done a fair bit of maintenance before on it so am reasonably comfortable with doing it all myself.

Also I do have to throw a whole new fairing on it for the front and side panels at least as they got a good bashing. Any tips on this with regards to OEM, after market or just general installation advice?

Would really appreciate any advice anyone can give.

By the way just thought I'd say I'm in the UK.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
All of that is really simple to replace. If it were me in that situation I'd replace the damaged fairing pieces with OEM as the colors will match. If you want to go the cheaper route you can find Chinese fairings all over eBay to replace them all. The color of the Chinese fairings might be close to the oem color but it will never be exact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips.

Thats good to know. I've had most of the fairing off before when doing other stuff but never the front cowl unit around the headlamp.

And what about the fairing stay bracket and headlamp? Worth going OEM? I think I can pick up the bracket for about $40 and the headlamp for about $200.

Still not 100% I need to replace the headlamp until I see it but it did get a good knock.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Sure, for $40 going oem won't be a bad idea. The aftermarket brackets can be had for a little less if you're wanting to save some money. Just be sure there aren't any tabs broken off or cracks in the housing and you should be good as well. Any scuffs to the lenses can more than likely be sanded and polished out.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
So the bike is written off for £5500. That's what they owe you to replace the bike.
Then they offer you £3400, (that's 2100 less then the bike was valued at)
If you want the bike back £2400 so in reality you get the bike and £1000.

Tell them to stick it, you will take the £5500. Or if they want to keep it simple take the £3400 and bike call it even. Man I really hate insurance companies.
Let them know the next stop will be a lawyer, your back, neck and leg is starting to really hurt. Not to mention the nightmares trouble sleeping and can't focus at work. (lost wages)
You might be needing counselling for PTSD.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So the bike is written off for £5500. That's what they owe you to replace the bike.
Then they offer you £3400, (that's 2100 less then the bike was valued at)
Re-read the OP. Nowhere does it say the sum insured, or market value, was £5500. £5500 was the repair quote.

Now whether £3400 is a fair market value or not is another kettle of fish entirely. Since bike condition and the UK bike market are unfamiliar to me I'll leave that well alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct.

The repair quote was crazy because they quoted to replace every part of bodywork on the bike that definitely didn't need replacing just so they wouldn't have to repair it themselves. They wanted to write it off and just get rid of it.

The bike is probably worth slightly less than £3400, had a look on ebay and the ones going for that are mint condition and very low mileage due so I thought that was fair.

I do believe what I need to repair it will cost far less than £2400 as I can do the work myself so its just replacing the parts that actually need replacing so that was a no brainer for me.

The fairing bracket would actually be $90 OEM and $40 aftermarket. Obviously there is a risk its not as good a quality but hard to weigh up. Guess there is only $50 in it.

Will probably have more questions once I get home and look over it properly. Hopefully it comes back in the same condition I gave it to them but thanks for your help so far everyone.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're alright. Would probably go with OEM light and maybe the after-market full cover-set. I don't think the tank is included, so if you get green to match your tank, it may not match properly. What I would do is either have the tank vinyl/decal wrapped, or painted with the cover-set to match. Can't say much about the fit/finish/quality, need those that use such fairings to voice out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Auctmarts were easy to deal with and while not OEM quality, good enough that I have been considering unloading my OEM bodywork that just had tipover damage. I sent them a paint chip to match the paint and its close enough if anything. But for $400 shipped with a custom paint job im not complaining.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I repaired my 06 a while ago. The aftermarket fairing stay is fine. Make sure your ram air duct is not cracked. I had a tab break on that where the fairing stay connected.

I also got aftermarket headlights for $200 instead of OEM for $500. They work, but they were wired incorrectly. I had to pull the wires from the plug and replace the pins in the order that matched the factory wiring harness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, thanks for the help all. Will definitely check on the air duct as well.

I think on reflection I'll have to go with Auctmart. Enough people seem to have used them without any major issues and its only $459 at the moment for the full kit with everything thrown in with it.

ABS and iFairings looked good too but with far less reviews and actually costing a bit more it's difficult to choose them over Auctmart.

As for the headlight and fairing stay I really need to see it first to make a decision if they actually needs replacing. Hoping not.

Once I get it all sorted I'll upload some photos.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have a look at my thread - if you can find a friendly plastic welder there's a couple of hours of work, tops, in welding the fairings back together. I am lucky in that I have a mate who works with plastics for a living.

Then you just have the body work to do, if you do it yourself it is cheap (materials are next to nix), but there is literally hours and hours of sanding/filling/sanding to do, so getting it done at a shop gets uneconomic very quick.

Ed: If the fairing stay is ABS plastic that might even be able to be welded up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
On ebay there are unpainted 05 kits for 200$ shipped that work well. They are actually white gloss plastic, so a few quid for a rattle can or two for the tank and you will be set.

Installing fairings isnt bad, but you have to play with them a bit at times, and since they are thinner and not 100% you may get a bit of rattle. Id suggest using a ratchet or thandle allens and not the tiny key ones, especially for the tank cover. ( You can use an oil jug or some wood to hold up the tank makes it a lot easier.)

Also depending on garage space, as you remove a piece set each bolt etc in a baggie or container next to it. Then match up the new fairings and you have everything you need right there. For the front fairings, its easiest to install the nose, upper sides, then the bottom belly ones (imo) instead of working bottom up.

In the future, i'd suggest learning to paint and basic bondo fixes. I feel a lot better now knowing if i get a scratch or drop it I can have it fixed quickly for little cost and perfect paint match. Plus, it feels good to call something your own (even if its not as perfect as original or professional).

Also, whenever you get a new bike buy two aftermarket fairings and sell the OEM ones. That way you can have a backup set for same cost :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Auctmarts were easy to deal with and while not OEM quality, good enough that I have been considering unloading my OEM bodywork that just had tipover damage. I sent them a paint chip to match the paint and its close enough if anything. But for $400 shipped with a custom paint job im not complaining.
thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts