Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -
first & foremost, I'd like to introduce myself as a noob, a noob who has just as much crashing experience as he does riding exp... :drool

anywho... i'm lookin for help troubleshootin my problems...:dowhat

I removed the front fairings on my zx6r because they were practically falling off when I bought the bike. this means that the stock air intake system is not being used, however the ducts that pass the air through the frame remain in use.

The cross sectional area of the ducts and original intake mouth appear to be about the same, so I never 'foresaw' any issues with removing the front air-intake structure. The other part that is not hooked up as it was is an air hose that was connected to two (one on each side) pipes that stuck forward within the intake manifold that had ~1cm diameter. The hose goes to a device that appears to be some kind of a pump, I'm guessing some sort of pressure generator for fuel system or something... but what I dont understand is how not having-it-installed with the little plastic pipes (with same diameter) can cause an issue.

I cant actually say that this is the culprit of my issue, but I might as well explain the issue- at around ~6k rpm the bike acts unstable, like it's about to stall... the tone of the exhaust changes dramatically, and the bike starts doing the harlem shake, all of this starting in an instant, it doesnt seem to come slowly, it just goes from riding beautifully smooth to shaking and sounding like a giant weedwhacker...

unfortunately, after my last crash i broke my coolant reservoir and frameslider and dont have the dough at the moment because of the expensive helmet I bought. so I'm not very smart trying to figure out which one of the things wrong with the bike, caused the 6k-stutter without being able to ride the bike, but I'm just asking you guys here if you might have experience with air intake based issues... or fuel issues brought on by intake mods...

any info or suggestions greatly appreciated-
thanks
-pat

·
Registered
900 Posts
Although the apertures may be the same size, due to the lack of fairing the air is not being guided/forced into either ram-air or other tubing, the lack of positive pressurised air could be the problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
on kwaks you need to keep the ram air system for the bike to run properly, that small pipe running to the front is probably the most important bit and it will cause exactly the problems you describe (the pressure in this pipe is used by the carbs, i just cant remember exactly how at the mo). you can modify your airbox in order to get round this but unless you plan to have it permantly as a streetfighter i wouldnt recommend it, basically you just need to get the top fairing and ram air system back on and the bike will run fine again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I sorta spent all my money on the bike itself when I bought it, and the front fairing is banged up/missing screws and stuff... so I'd be willing to put the elbow grease in to modify or fabricate (somethin cheap, obviously haha) something to take care of that little hose in the front and keep the "streetfighter" look- should the pressure at this hose be higher or lower than that of the main air ducts? ima take a good gander through the manual I downloaded... all 330 pages!
thanks for the advice guys!
-pat

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't have any front fairings on my bike BUT i do have those two small hoses hooked up
As they come out between the triple area I have them "T" 'd together so the air is shooting straight into both of them. with out them hooked up my carbs couldn't handle anything over 50MPH without going for a shit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts