Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2002 zx6r with 24k on the clock for $1800 on Saturday. It rides good and runs pretty decent but there are no fairings on it besides the one around the headlights and the tail piece. I want to pick up a set of fairings for it but am unsure of the best place to buy them from. I have a posting on the WTB forum on here and I also saw some sets on ebay for a decent price but they want 200 dollars for shipping! Where do you all reccomend I go?

·
Registered
972 Posts
As 40 said, Ebay. You should be able to get an entire set for around $300-$500

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Yup, try to get the remaining pieces you need on ebay or craigslist or somewhere like that and get everything painted (or paint it yourself :bigthumb). You shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to get the parts you still need, but you'll probably be dropping $150-$250 for them plus the cost of painting everything.

If you try to buy and entire set, you'll be out a lot more. The nose and tail fairings on their own can cost almost as much as the rest of the kit if they are in good condition...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok rookie question here. Just so I know what to search for, what pieces do I need still? Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up buying a set of unpainted fairings on ebay for $225. I called a local body shop and they wanted freakin $1000 to paint them and the tank just black!!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Ended up buying a set of unpainted fairings on ebay for $225. I called a local body shop and they wanted freakin $1000 to paint them and the tank just black!!!
You get what you pay for

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually might attempt squirting them myself. I have some experience painting wheels and the likes, so it might turn out ok if I take my time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I actually might attempt squirting them myself. I have some experience painting wheels and the likes, so it might turn out ok if I take my time.
If they are blank plastics it might be pretty easy to get them painted since you probably wont need to do any sanding except for the tank. I just completed a paint project on my bike but I had lots of sanding to do.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I stripped and painted my old '06 tank. Even used bondo to fill 2 dents. It was my first time using bondo and the first time using rattle cans in an effort to get a glossy finish. The tank came out great, so if I can do it anyone can.

Used aircraft paint remover and everything eventually just fell off.

Bondo... This was interesting, but sanding and shaping was a PIA. It took two applications.

primer...

Paint, clear, a ton of wet sanding and some meguires polish.

completed tank.

It was very time consuming and took me a few days to complete and I was pretty happy with the results for that being my first time. It wasn't exactly perfect, but it worked for me at the time. I wouldn't do it again though, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts