Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying, i am not overly inclined, mechanically so this may sound like a dumb question but here goes.. if i have an exhaust leak back closer to the end of the exhaust system, specifically by the muffler/pre-muffler, how bad is it? for context, on my 2014 zx6r i recently replaced the stock muffler with an aftermarket slip on. after getting everything installed i noticed the most minimal (and i mean MINIMAL, i dk that i can overstate this lol) pinhole exhaust leak where the new mid pipe slips into the pre-muffler section of the exhaust. the exact location of the leak seems to be on the pre-muffler, RIGHT below the clamp that holds the mid-pipe in place, in one of the pre exhisting slits in the pre-muffler. given the fact that it was so faint that i had to hold paper over it to even confirm that what i felt with my hand, was an exhaust leak, how important/necessary is it to fix/seal this? i don't know if this is a "if it doesnt bother you it doesnt matter"..or a "if you dont fix it something bad will happen or get worse". the most common theme seems to that an exhaust leak could equate to a loss of power(among other things). if there is, i don't notice it and i guess i'm just wondering if it's far enough back in the exhaust system that it truly wouldn't even matter/make a difference. it's a 2014 but i got it with next to no mileage on it at the start of this year. there's barely 2k on the gauge so as far as i'm concerned it's a new bike and i want to keep things in good working order, but if this is more of a preference thing over a necessity thing, i don't feel the need to fix it. Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You wont likely have lost any power with a very small leak. Other than a more annoying exhaust note, it's nothing that will cause damage. Try and see if you can't clamp it down better or something.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Most exhaust have an intentional very small hole in the metal at the lowest point. That's to let the condensate drip out. Burning fuel creates a small amount of water....some the hydrogen in the hydrocarbons chemically bonds with some of that oxygen during combustion, and when you pass warm exhaust over a cold muffler, it tends to precipitate out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What RJ said. It is intentional to prohibit water to accumulate in the exhaust.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Most exhaust have an intentional very small hole in the metal at the lowest point. That's to let the condensate drip out. Burning fuel creates a small amount of water....some the hydrogen in the hydrocarbons chemically bonds with some of that oxygen during combustion, and when you pass warm exhaust over a cold muffler, it tends to precipitate out.
Yup. Also, with the upward tilted muffler, rain will get in there if/when the bike is parked outside during a downpour. So the hole also lets that all drain out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input all. I'll start double checking that everything is as tight as it should be and go from there. I was kinda thinking it was intentional too, and then i though that the top side at like 45 degrees would be an odd spot for an intentional hole lol, so i came here for some opinions. After some more research and the feedback from you all, I'm thinkin i may just use a tiny bit of sealant if need be and call it a day(if i even do anything at all)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts