Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive broke the right side exhaust stud 1st cylinder from left .i want to bridge press a steel plate block/plate under the left side of the next cylinder on that broke stud ..anyone thing it'll work or ideas about unrecoverable broke stud ..
The next cylinder left bolt will double up for the broken right bolt before it..or any experience ideas

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
The right answer is pull the head and replace that stud. Or possibly remove what remains, and replace while the head is still on the engine. The threads of a steel stud, screwed into an aluminum block are almost certainly heavily corroded and that's what caused the binding which led to the breakage. Heat, water, and dirt along with dissimilar metals is a nearly certain recipe for this.

Soak the threads of the broken stud with penetrating oil and give it some time to work for you. While that's going on, investigate how much of the remaining stud you can either grip, or flatten out so you can counter bore the shaft of the stud. If you can get a dimple in the metal, you should be able to drill out some of the stud, hopefully enough to use a left hand threaded bit to drill/back out the remains of the stud.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent all day yesterday with bosh drill and extraction bits and couldn't get it out .maybe a mechanic can I can't. I don't really want to pay a garage as I i ride light and don't put load on headers coming loose easy .

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
It's more than likely caught on the crystals that form during corrosion..... if you can get a punch to rest on the stud, and can rap that a bunch of times with a lightweight hammer to shock the part, that vibration would break up some of that crud. That's what makes impact wrenches so effective at removing stubborn bolts or nuts. The hammering while twisting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts