Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, silly question and wanted to know if any of you have noticed this and/or have a solution for it. I have had my zx for 3 yrs now since new and have sort of had this since day one but, notice more when it is very hot weather wise in TX 100+. When riding, especially at 75+ MPH, there is extreme heat flowing out from the front on both sides pointing literally about 2-3 inches above my ankles. I normally wear tennis or lace up shoes with anklet type socks but, have also tried above ankle leather boots but, this heat actually gives me a level 1 burn like a sunburn.

The bike runs just fine, engine temp rarely gets above 212, typically around 196 or so, fans kick in, all is well but, this is starting to get very annoying and I really do not want to wear shin high riding boots in this damn heat.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
So why don't you wear motorcycle boots? They protect your ankles in case of a fall and will keep you cool.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? If so has the heat-shield been removed?

I've never experienced what you say but I always wear proper protective gear which insulates my ankles/feet/legs.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
2017 ZX6R KRT, 2019 GTI
130 Posts
When I ride in my underwear I feel the same thing. Its not too bad once you get used to it but all the heat does get dumped out right at the legs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you are tired of the heat get a BMW F800GT - it dumps the hot air on your inner thighs. :) That bike would cook me at 80mph and above 90F. I wear all the gear all the time and for the last year have been wearing a Dianese airbag vest under my jacket. I just sweat! I'll take the sweat any day over the pain and agonyI experienced getting over a shattered kneecap, concussion and bruised foot from a 15MPH scooter crash with no gear. I don't do track days but have always worn track boots and overpants.

Lots of fully faired touring bikes have heat issues. I never noticed it on my 2014 ZX6R and it saw lots of mid 90 temps. My Yamaha Tracer GT doesn't put out any heat that I've noticed, June of 2020 rode 200 miles in Kansas and Nebraska with temperature at 106F, that was after 250 miles in the morning when it was warming up.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
The heat is dumped out of the fairing so you have cool air around the air box, so you get more power. when you are in motion, the flow is lateral. Front to back, from the high pressure in front of the radiator, to the much lower pressure on the trailing edges of the side panels. That change in pressure helps pull air through the radiator.

If you don't want to get the burns on your legs, start wearing mesh riding gear along with a proper set of boots. 'Proper' is a fairly wide definition, IMHO. I ride all year in a pair of SWAT boots. Steel toed, insulated mesh sides, zipper entry. Not as protective as true motorcycle boots, but they are a really good 'wear all day in comfort' solution for me.

My typical commuting outfit is a pair of dress slacks, a long sleeve shirt (with a tee shirt underneath), and CE2 armored mesh gear over the top of that. FF helmet, gauntlet motorcycle gloves, ear plugs, eye protection are all in the mix. I can do 100F high humidity days in that set up, and the only point that gets wet is the undergarments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So why don't you wear motorcycle boots? They protect your ankles in case of a fall and will keep you cool.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? If so has the heat-shield been removed?

I've never experienced what you say but I always wear proper protective gear which insulates my ankles/feet/legs.
Mainly 2 reasons I don't wear motorcycle boots.. 1) Haven't found a pair I like that doesn't feel restrictive i.e. around the ankles or feel like I am wearing snows shoes or don't feel they keep my feet cool. 2) I commute 50 miles one way and already have enough stuff in my back pack such as lunch, laptop, etc and trying to fit in a pair of shoes, not gonna happen and will not put bags on a sport bike. I hate to say it to but, I am also an older rider at 54 but, no way in hell I am riding anything but a sport bike, if I have to go non-sport or trike, my riding days are over. :)

If you or anyone has suggestions on a good pair of boots, please share. Also, I have never had this issue on any of my previous bikes, it is just this one. For the other question that asks did I replace the exhaust. Yes, but, the heat-shield is intact and this was a problem prior to that being replaced which was done due to the OEM exhaust having a valve that is basically welded in, that kept sticking and mixing the fuel and O2 wrong and setting off check engine errors. It was more expensive to have the OEM put back on with the risk if this re-occurring, plus the new exhaust and commander kit looks/sounds much better.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
I’m 61, commute 37 miles one way and have to wear business casual at work. The steel toed SWAT boots are as comfortable as a pair of high top sneakers. Great insoles, breathable, and infinitely adjustable because of the laces. Once laced correctly, the side zippers make them very quick on/off. All day comfortable no matter what the temperature is.

I use a tank bag rather than a backpack, because I crashed in 2006 with a backpack which resulted in a class a shoulder separation of my right shoulder and three broken ribs…. all of which broke along my spine. My guess is the laptop changed the way my body would have rotated when I hit the ground and concentrated the force. The breaks were either in line with the edge of the laptop, or the inner edge of my shoulder blade.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Alpinestars makes a few ridding shoes that feel like regular high top basket ball shoes. I believe they are called the faster 3's. I had their very first iteration of them and they were awesome. I upgraded to the SMX 1R's also a high top shoe but definitely stiffer and offers more protection then the faster line which makes them a little more uncomfortable for all day wearing off the bike but its bareable.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm almost 68 and don't commute at all :) However I do take long motorcycles trips. I rode my ZX6R to my last day of work when I retired 5 years ago - I was only 63 :) I've always worn boots, I worked in an office where we wore dress shirts and ties and a sport coat or suit. I kept a sport coat and a pair of dress shoes in my office and would change shoes when I got there. I'm currently wearing SIDI boots which are comfortable on the bike and not too bad for walking around. My last pair I actually wore the soles out. If you have to wear work boots that is one thing but I wore dressy loafers. I always had a tank bag as a backpack was bulky and confining. There are some nice small tail bags which would work as well. I have used magnetic and a GIVI click on tank bag. Either one is easy to take off and carry into work.

My BMW F800GT had a fake plastic tank. For the first couple of trips I taped magnets to the bottom to hold a magnetic tank bag on. Worked well until it didn't! On a two lane road as I was passing a pickup pulling a trailer in gusty conditions the tank bag blew off! I caught it with my forearm and kept it in place until I could finish the pass and then find a good spot to pull off and get it refastened. A couple of the magnets had come loose!

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
IDGAF where I am going on the bike I would never ride withotu proper foot and ankle protection!

but complaining of too much heat on your ankles then telling everyone you wear below the ankle bone socks and shoes............. zero fucks given
Wear real motorcycling protective or atleast wear something above the ankle bones to pretend you have some ankle protection- either one would atleast eliminate your whining about some heat blownig on your bare skin.......

·
Registered
344 Posts
There will be a time when you will regret not using motorcycle boots.

Get over it...buy and wear the boots

I have been riding more than 20yrs...

The 1 time I'm not wearing my boots (I swear to gawd)...Someone pulls into my lane when I'm about a car length in front of them and I hit them at about 15-20MPH. I braked and turned enough to slamed into door parrarell...

I was wearing above ankle leather soccer shoes/boots with heavy padding and support at the ankles ...

I did not break my ankle... but my ankle slammed so hard into that cars door..

I had a blood blister the size of my palm on my ankle.

ALL of the skin died and it took about a 1 and 1/2 - 2 months for it to heal...basically the skin needed to grow back. it really effing sucked.

I can not believe how lucky I was..and every single doctor or nurse I came across could not believe it either..

..this is because every time they see crashes when people are not wearing motorcycle boots...IT ALWAYS MUCH WORSE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IDGAF where I am going on the bike I would never ride withotu proper foot and ankle protection!

but complaining of too much heat on your ankles then telling everyone you wear below the ankle bone socks and shoes............. zero fucks given
Where real motorcycling protective or atleast wear something above the ankle bones to pretend you have some ankle protection- either one would atleast eliminate your whining about some hea tblownig on your bare skin.......
Riverszzr, for one, you do not need to be an A-hole when someone is asking a simple question. I wasn't "whining" about some heat, I asked if anyone else had experienced anything similar on this bike. I too have been riding for 35+ years, have had numerous sport bikes but, never had this type of issue where the heat is probably 120-150 degrees blowing on my ankles. Typically my pants actually go down to and over the tongue on my shoes and the heat is blowing through the pants or on occasion yes blowing direct on my ankles.

For the others that post more positive and helpful tips, thank you very much including Visk636, I will definitely take a look at the Alpines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts