Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone able to explain to me why kawa state that the new zx6r has a max power output of 137ps (135bhp ish)? appreciate that will be measured at the crank but when dyno readouts are around 105ish seems like a bit too much of a power loss to me...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well its not like a car, you don't have the tires essentially directly connected to the engine by a driveshaft. Instead, you're using a chain.

That's my best guess at least.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Parasitic loss.

It takes power to turn your crank and your input shaft and your gears and your output shaft and your front sprocket and your rear sprocket and your wheel and tire.

Keep in mind that this power, turned into motion, has to overcome inertia/momentum, friction, viscosity, etc.

Edit --

See?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Most stock dyno readouts I see are around 115 at the rear wheel I can see 125 to 135 at the crank being reasonable. Kawi may also be counting ram air gains at who knows what speed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
anyone able to explain to me why kawa state that the new zx6r has a max power output of 137ps (135bhp ish)? appreciate that will be measured at the crank but when dyno readouts are around 105ish seems like a bit too much of a power loss to me...
All bikes are like that. At crank, they measure out alot more but at rear wheel, most bikes lose about 10-15% depending on the bike, engine, and CCs. The difference in cars are roughly 20%. With that said, a local Wisconsinite has a 2013 ZX6R that has dyno'd 135hp.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its also going to depend on the elevation where you live if you get your bike tested as well. A bike at sea level will put HP on the dino than one at say 12,000 feet. The same bike riding down the coast in California will feel different going up Pikes Peak in Colorado.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Its also going to depend on the elevation where you live if you get your bike tested as well. A bike at sea level will put HP on the dino than one at say 12,000 feet. The same bike riding down the coast in California will feel different going up Pikes Peak in Colorado.
Which is exactly why dynos are set to compensate for this.

The factory always quotes crank HP numbers because they are significantly higher. With SAE5 smoothing (the industry standard) a new ZX6R will see 110-113 at the rear wheel bone stock. 115-118 is pretty common after the usual mods (exhaust, fuel management).

Each dyno reads differently of course, and there have been reports of superbike builds reaching 140hp but that is after thousands of dollars of engine work.

So, if someone is claiming 135 rwhp they are either using no correction on the dyno (lots of people do this because they feel it makes up for their small penis size with larger, misleading numbers), have a superbike build, or are just generally full of shee and it.

110 bone stock is still considerably more powerful than a bone stock R6, GSXR600, or CBR600. The ZX6R is in fact the most powerful middleweight production bike at this time, regardless of what any of the inflated factory propaganda claims.

You can throw whatever wildly unsubstantiated dyno numbers you like. At the end of the day when I roll on the throttle on the straights, I leave the other manufacturers bikes behind, and that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which is exactly why dynos are set to compensate for this.

The factory always quotes crank HP numbers because they are significantly higher. With SAE5 smoothing (the industry standard) a new ZX6R will see 110-113 at the rear wheel bone stock. 115-118 is pretty common after the usual mods (exhaust, fuel management).

Each dyno reads differently of course, and there have been reports of superbike builds reaching 140hp but that is after thousands of dollars of engine work.

So, if someone is claiming 135 rwhp they are either using no correction on the dyno (lots of people do this because they feel it makes up for their small penis size with larger, misleading numbers), have a superbike build, or are just generally full of shee and it.

110 bone stock is still considerably more powerful than a bone stock R6, GSXR600, or CBR600. The ZX6R is in fact the most powerful middleweight production bike at this time, regardless of what any of the inflated factory propaganda claims.

You can throw whatever wildly unsubstantiated dyno numbers you like. At the end of the day when I roll on the throttle on the straights, I leave the other manufacturers bikes behind, and that is good enough for me.
yea baby!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts