Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 636. I gave it its second oil change at 1400 mi. with Castrol R4. I started to here the engine get a little noisy and it would tick at times and go away. I took it to the dealer and they told me that all 636's are noisy that it was normal and to put thicker oil in it. So I did I put Repsol 4T 10w50 in it but the noise is still there. Has anyone encountered this or are 636's just noisy???:confused

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's most likely the cam chain tensioner. Putting thicker oil in it won't correct the problem if that's what it is.

My has '05 about 15,000 miles on it and it's been ticking for most of it's life. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only really good solution is to put in a manual cam chain tensioner. Since the OEM replacement will likely wear out quickly again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This noise is permanent or stops after few minutes of engine start?
If it stops I think that noise comes from the cam chain. You don't have to worry about it...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had the same prob with mine, I switched from 4t to the shell rotella T 15w40. The noise disappeared, and the thicker oil didnt affect performace or fuel economy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts