Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm up at CVR for a last couple of track days before the heat get's too much (100+ F out there just now). I did 100 miles yesterday without incident and today was up at around 35 to 40 miles, 4 laps into a session going Counter Clock Wise coming on to the front straight away (if you know the track it's a right/left kink through 1 and 2 and full throttle to turn 17). Right at the start/finish line, just about to click to 4th, inches from the side of the track complete engine power down, whipped in the clutch and coasted down the side of the track. I believe I still had electrical power as I remember seeing the big 3 gear indicator on the screen. With the marshals help I got the bike back into pit lane. First stab of the starter and it turns over but does not start, all sorts of flashing on the display at the bottom right.

Leave the bike for a minute or so while I talk to the marshal. 2nd stab at the starter and it spins up. Did a couple of laps off the paddock, temp gauge showing 210. Left the bike idling, fan kicked in around 212-214 as expected. Back out on track with one eye on the temp gauge, slower corners temp goes up, straight aways, temp comes down (206 to 212 in 100+ air temp).

Couple of theories have been suggested #1 electrical fault either to the fuel pump or ignition (remember don't think I ever lost power to the dash - all mileage numbers for the weekend are still in place). The battery terminals are super tight (I wired up battery tender cables and replaced the battery 4 weeks ago - left the ignition on through lockdown, Dho). I have had a fuel pump connector go bad on an older (2004) bike but this is a 2019.

#2 Fuel starvation, potentially caused by a kinked breather hose (don't recall if the tank was moved during the fitment of the track bodywork). It's been fine for 2400 track miles, although this is the first time it's been in this level of air temp and being black isn't going to help, so it might have been a vapor lock.

Bike is going into the shop in the morning (long past due for a service) so they will check out these various theories (and remove the breather hoses!!).

Interested in any other theories members might have.

MikeC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Quick update now the bike is in the shop, no error codes recorded. And now they have had a look everything seems to be in order (no loose wires, no kinked breathers). ¯\(ツ)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts