Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a ride with a mate on Sat and we popped into a suzuki dealership, as i pulled up I noticed a new ZX10R. The guy was on his way out and he popped over and we started chatting. He asked if I had any problems with the bike running a little rough after it had started and if I got any hesitation from the throttle. :confused
It was a little weird as I was talking with a mate the day before saying to him how the bike runs a little rough after it had just started and it takes about 5 -10mins for it to settle down.
So i said that i had noticed the problems he outlined and he said that I should try starting the bike before the on board diagnostics have a chance to finish running. He said that it was linked to the emission control valves in the bike and when the onboard diagnostics start up all these valves are closed and apparently then open and close during riding to control the emissions. :O
He said by starting the bike before the diagnostics run all the valves remain open allowing the bike to breath better and thus improving the all round performace.
So i tried it and the throttle was more responsive and there was a noticable difference in the bikes performance, in a good way! :) But because the bike was already warmed up it was running smootly anyway so I was unable to check the smooth running after start up.

So this morning I went out to it and started it up before the diagnostics had run and hey presto in was running as smooth as anything.

So i guess my question is this, has anyone else heard of this and will i be doing the bike any harm by starting it with out the diagnostics running first? :stupid

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sounds like :bs to me. :dunno

What are these emission valves?

---------------

My bike has a PAIR system, exhaust valve and secondary throttle valves, but they still operate normally regardless of how I start the bike. (GSXR though).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea, but there is a funny thing on the exhaust that is just before the rear silencer and has 2 pipes / cables going into it and I have no idea what that could be for!?!?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Exhaust valve, not sure what Kawasaki calls theirs. It creates back pressure for better running in the midrange. They can run more radical valve timing with more overlap for a better top end, but you don't have to sacrifice as much midrange when you increse the back pressure. (And they'd close up at the RPM the EPA noise testers take their readings at so the engine doesn't appear as noisy.)

Here's mine. Always works the same regardless of starting proceedure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts