Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 KRT ABS
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reviewing some Youtube content by Chris Moore I decided to rip the ECU out and drive down to have Chris flash the ECU. The ECU removal takes about 20 minutes and the drive was a bit over an hour each way. I got the entire job done in under 4 hours, including eating dinner when I got home.

I was going to use SuperBike Unlimited as I used them for my 400 but decided to give Moore a shot since he had some Youtube vids of ZX6R dyno tuning and is a little over an hour drive vs. SBU which is closer to a 2 hour drive.

Make sure you request to have the decel fuel cut disabled as Moore leaves it enabled unless specifically asked to disable it.

Since I didn't know I had to specify to disable the "decel fuel cut" it was left enabled so I had to take out the ECU and send it back to Moore to have it disabled. Since my wife was having surgery this week I could not drive the ECU to Chris so I mailed it FedEx with a return label. This cost me another 45 dollars for shipping and a week without my ECU.

Because FedEx doesn't stop at Moore's shop very often my ECU has been sitting in Greenville for the past 3 days without movement.

I did finally get my ECU back from Moore with the "decel fuel cut" disabled and the throttle response is a much smoother transition from on/off throttle.

Reactions: Tills

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's awesome. IMO this is the better route to go vs PCV or Bazzaz.

I live a 6 hr drive from the nearest good dyno shop, but my bike came to me with a PCV and a decent map. I went ahead and ordered a FlashTune so I can fix the decel fuel cutoff myself. I'll probably import the PCV map into the ECU and ditch the PCV.

It looks like Chris is using the Woolich flashing tool, so you could get some cool addons like launch control if you wanted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had the decel fuel cutoff disabled on the 400 but Moore left it enabled on the 636 so I needed to send the ECU back to Moore to have it disabled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get a big kick when the injectors turn back on, especially at high RPM. Like I popped the clutch a bit or something. I'm assuming it's the cutoff, since the PAIR is already blocked and the drivetrain is in good shape.

I never disabled cutoff on my previous bikes, but it's bad with this one. Maybe it's better with your '21.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I get a big kick when the injectors turn back on, especially at high RPM. Like I popped the clutch a bit or something. I'm assuming it's the cutoff, since the PAIR is already blocked and the drivetrain is in good shape.

I never disabled cutoff on my previous bikes, but it's bad with this one. Maybe it's better with your '21.

It is strong on the 400 as well, but the 400 was slower and less mass so stopping wasn't really a big issue. The first couple of times I rode after the flash I miscalculated and the abs kicked in to save me.

Reactions: gigle1tx

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had my ECU flashed by Chris some time ago, dudes a class act and knows his stuff.
I'm lucky to live so close to some great shops where I can meet the tuners in person.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I sent my ECU to Chris a few months ago. I'm so happy with the results. It feels like an entirely different bike now.
I'm still in the break-in period @500 miles and keeping the rpm in the 6-8k range so it's a bit difficult to feel the difference in power, but the engine is running cooler and I fully expect a better running engine with the flash. My 400 ran much better with the ECU flash.

It's a travesty what the manufacturers need to do to these fine machines in order to pass emissions and noise standards.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@gigle1tx , the engine braking is not as abrubt with the ECU flash due to the improved fuel map, and I confirmed that with Chris Moore.

Since the Decel Fuel cut is still enabled there is still some jerky throttling so I'm going to bring the ECU back to Chris and have the decel fuel cut off dsiabled to make throttle response a bit smoother.

·
Registered
Street Rossi
196 Posts
@gigle1tx , the engine braking is not as abrubt with the ECU flash due to the improved fuel map, and I confirmed that with Chris Moore.

Since the Decel Fuel cut is still enabled there is still some jerky throttling so I'm going to bring the ECU back to Chris and have the decel fuel cut off dsiabled to make throttle response a bit smoother.
So I take it this improves the sometimes “on/off”character of the throttle response. I’m interested to hear how big of a difference that makes.
For me sometimes the jerkiness seems worse than others. Maybe right at the start of a ride before everything is good and hot. Maybe a placebo. Lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I take it this improves the sometimes “on/off”character of the throttle response. I’m interested to hear how big of a difference that makes.
For me sometimes the jerkiness seems worse than others. Maybe right at the start of a ride before everything is good and hot. Maybe a placebo. Lol
The Decel fuel cut off is responsible for the on/off jerky throttle that most people complain about. I believe the RPM plays a role in when the decel fuel cut off is on/off so it may be different depending on RPM.

I definitely want it turned off to smooth out the throttle. For some reason Moore doesn't disable it unless asked. SBU simply disabled it without asking on my 400 so I assumed it would be disabled by Moore as well

Once disabled I will post a review.

Reactions: Assman

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For those members who used moore mafia ecu flashing service, did you unplug the o2 sensor after the flash and do you have the decel fuel cut disabled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those members who used moore mafia ecu flashing service, did you unplug the o2 sensor after the flash and do you have the decel fuel cut disabled?
i unplugged the )2 sensor and check engine lights ON, i had to buy a obdscanner to clear the error, but the check engine still lights ON, so i decided to plug back again the 02 sensor and clear it with the scanner, but when i test the bike it runs slower,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i unplugged the )2 sensor and check engine lights ON, i had to buy a obdscanner to clear the error, but the check engine still lights ON, so i decided to plug back again the 02 sensor and clear it with the scanner, but when i test the bike it runs slower,
Do you have the Moore ECU flash with the o2 disabled, some other ECU flash, or no ECU flash?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My o2 sensor is unplugged and removed. My Decel Fuel Cut is active. I need to get block off plates still, but aside from popping under deceleration, I've had no issues with the ECU flash or the o2 sensor being removed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My o2 sensor is unplugged and removed. My Decel Fuel Cut is active. I need to get block off plates still, but aside from popping under deceleration, I've had no issues with the ECU flash or the o2 sensor being removed.
You mean the decel fuel cut is disabled? It is enabled by default.

I am going to assume you mean decel fuel cut is disabled since you have popping on deceleration.

On my 400 I had decel fuel cut disabled an no block off plates so the exhaust crackled and popped like a race bike. I have no intention of installing block of plates after decel fuel cut is disabled on the 636 either. A little popping will keep drivers awake.

With the ECU flash and decel fuel cut enabled, I get no popping on deceleration and a jerky throttle so I am looking forward to have the decel fuel cut disabled.

Reactions: Tills

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
21 Posts
Man I love the sound of my bike on downshifts... like popcorn every time hahaha. Especially once you get into a full exhaust system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here is a Youtube vid of Chris Moore ECU flashing a 2019 ZX6R with the decel fuel cut disabled and getting those big pops on deceleration starting at 5:30. Chris says he has decel fuel cut turned on, but it's actually the opposite, it's being set to false/disabled/turned off so the injectors stay "on" during deceleration.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts