Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got an M4 slip on exhaust and the Mack foam earplugs aren’t cutting it when on the freeway. I definitely feel my ears (specifically my right) losing some hearing lol. Thought I’d ask the forums since Amazon reviews are a bit flaky.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Numbers don't lie..... The greater the number of dB the plugs suppress, the more relief you get.

The M4 is stupid loud. Without the baffle it's really no different than a straight pipe.

Damage to your hearing happens anytime you are subjecting your ears to noise above ~100 dB.

If your exhaust noise is above 130 dB, your plugs need to knock at LEAST 30 dB off of that. More better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numbers don't lie..... The greater the number of dB the plugs suppress, the more relief you get.

The M4 is stupid loud. Without the baffle it's really no different than a straight pipe.

Damage to your hearing happens anytime you are subjecting your ears to noise above ~100 dB.

If your exhaust noise is above 130 dB, your plugs need to knock at LEAST 30 dB off of that. More better.
For sure man, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I felt the same way with the M4. I put the stage 2 baffle in and it sounds amazing but also the freeway drone is reduced considerably.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I use custom molded ear plugs (select the Noise Isolating option):

https://www.64audio.com/high-fidelity-custom-earplugs

They are expensive (they were about half the price when I bought them a few years ago), but I like them a lot better than regular foam ear plugs (they are a lot quicker and easier to put in).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I felt the same way with the M4. I put the stage 2 baffle in and it sounds amazing but also the freeway drone is reduced considerably.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way, haha!

I use custom molded ear plugs (select the Noise Isolating option):

High Fidelity Earplug

They are expensive (they were about half the price when I bought them a few years ago), but I like them a lot better than regular foam ear plugs (they are a lot quicker and easier to put in).
I think I was just using the ear plugs wrong and not inserting them in correctly. The Mack's reusables are working great for me now!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the pinlock reusable ear plugs, go for about 20 bucks at cycle gear. I will say they do reduce noise significantly, and the amount of noise that comes through in my opinion is safe and usable for riding. It makes everything quieter, but I think they designed the plugs to block out typical frequencies produced by motorcycle engines generally, and I find that to be somewhat true. So when I use them, turn up my sena a little louder, and its more voices/music and less wind/engine noise.

The worst thing to me is the comfort of them. I give them like 5/10 in comfort. They almost make my outer ear a tad sore after a full day of using them, but for short rips, totally fine.
I think for me, custom molded ones to my ear is probably the best solution. But, for 20 bucks, these are not bad, and if they fit your ear shape better than they do for me, it will be a great experience.

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use EarPeace Motorcycle Ear Plugs which I purchased in Amazon. I've done my research and this right here helped me find the earplugs that works for me. It's awesome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless you have a really sealed up helmet cant wind noise exceed 100db regardless of your exhaust? My bike is not very loud however if I go for a long ride without ear plugs my ears are ringing pretty bad at the end of the ride, especially if I did some highway riding.

I doubt this is as effective as proper ear plugs but I use a pair of M6 Pro ear buds with the memory foam comply tips which seem to work quite well playing music or not. Coming from the audio snob world the hardest thing about picking ear plugs or ear bud tips is fit, everybody's ears are different so you either have to get lucky and find something that fits well off the shelf or have something custom made like said above. I did this once, they sent me some of this putty stuff you stick in your ear which makes a mold then you send that back to them and they make custom sized tips. It took me a long time to find something that would not only seal properly but stay in for a long time with my helmet on and let me move my head around without risking them coming unsealed.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, wind noise is one of the main reasons for wearing ear plugs when riding (especially at highway speeds).

·
Registered
2 Posts
i use Auritech. they come in a aluminium tube that stays with your keys. they reduce the wind noise quite a bit. they were £20

1 - 11 of 11 Posts