Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if this has been discussed before i could'nt find anything,i want to know if you use ear plugs/protectors and reasons for and against,personally i have never tried them but i know a couple of people that do use them,i would like to reduce wind noise but i guess i need a better quality skidlid to do that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I use them at the track, but not on the street.

Typically you are at much higher rpms for longer periods of time at the track, and it's just more comfortable with ear plugs at the track. (in my opinion)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Agreed! Track Yes, Street no. I'm partially deaf from Dj'n in niteclubs for the last 10 years anyways and the only sign language I know is :bigfinger

·
Registered
299 Posts
i say no

a big no

cant hear wind? cant hear that car either...
You aren't serious are you!? It is obviously you have never wore earplugs.

let me break it down....

First of all, I wear flange type earplugs on the street and track. Earplugs cancel out wind noise but you can still hear every vehicle around you, sirens and mostly anything you can hear without wearing them. With the well ventilated helmets of today comes wind noise. There is no escaping that. I'd rather have wind noise in my helmet then no or little airflow.

Think about it... When you have all of that airflow in and around your ears, not only does it contribute to your eminate hearing loss, it is loud and annoying; loud enough to cancel out noises outside of your helmet.

Also, if you solely rely on your sense of hearing to stay out of danger when riding that may be an indication that you are not moving your eyes and head and body (ie: headchecks, scanning what is in front of you, etc...)

Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox, but I just could not believe that everyone that posted thinks that earplugs are a bad idea.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've never used them??? Not saying good or bad but I've just never used them except when sleeping in a hotel room when you need to get up at 5 am for a meeting!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i only use ear plugs on the long haul rides like interstate runs but for just around town and to work i dont

·
Registered
900 Posts
I never used to wear them as commercial one size fits all plugs irritated my ears, but I was noticing wind noise more and more and that my hearing seemed dulled after riding the bike. At the NEC show this year instead of buying some tat I invested £40 in a pair of custom injection moulded plugs, its made a world of difference, you can still hear traffic when riding but it eliminates loads of background noise and I feel more relaxed/able to hear after a ride than without them. You only get once chance at hearing and everytime you ride without protecting your ears you are eroding your ability to hear. Quite simple really, most of us think nothing of spending money on gloves, boots, helmets and leathers to protect ourselves if we come off because we don't want to be disabled, yet £40 for a set of ear plugs that will last a minimum of 5 years and prevent you sitting with a hearing aid in and struggling to hear as you approach old age?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I didn't always wear earplugs, but now I ride no where without them. There's always a couple of spare sets in the trunk. I'm more alert and fresh after riding with them than without. Concentration stays up when I'm not so worn out from using plugs.

Loud enough to annoy is loud enough to destroy.

Some education here >> http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm
Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) - this is hearing loss due to exposure to either a sudden, loud noise or exposure to loud noises for a period of time. A dangerous sound is anything that is 85 dB (sound pressure level - SPL) or higher.
Some helmet info http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm
Above about 65 km/h or 40 mph the wind noise generated by the airflow over a motorcycle and rider exceeds the noise from the motorcycle itself. Daily noise exposures of working motorcyclists may regularly exceed 90 dB(A).

i say no

a big no

cant hear wind? cant hear that car either...

:laugh Bad reasoning that is, you're obviously giving advice on something you have never tried.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I always wear earplugs riding. It blocks out all the unnecessary noise. But like others said, you can actually hear the vehicles and your surroundings alot better. I have gotten a few friends to try it and they dont ride without em now either!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I never ride without them...

There's def a common misconception going on in this thread. Foam earplugs(both universal flange and custom fit) do not block sound. They simply attenuate sound...and prevent you from becoming deaf over time.

Sounds like a win/win to me?:O

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
lol i actually wear noise-cancelling headphones inside my helmet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts