Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dyno today after some recent engine work. The results were pretty nice...

A quick video of warming the bike up for some pulls
https://youtu.be/V3QfTlLxcJo

And the results

·
Registered
676 Posts
Looks good!! Maybe some velocity stacks will help that incline a little more you know keep it steadily increasing

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
What were the numbers before you degreed your cams/thinner gasket. 50ft/lb of torque is damn nice and it's so linear from 10.5-14k. You'll be smashing some r6s even harder in the coming races :devious

Edit: Oh were those the ones already on the graph?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'd be setting that shift light at 13k and goin with it!

Reactions: PowerGroove

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
That's it??

My stock zx6r dynod at 125 whp!!

^j/k, trying to beat the trolls to it :laugh

Good stuff dude :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What does a bone stock 2013 6R get on the dyno typically? I've seen 112hp on some reviews of the bike...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to add that these numbers were made on ethanol free 93 octane Sunoco pump gas as that is what I am required to run by my race org. I would bet that on something like MR12 it would be in the low 130s.

Looks good!! Maybe some velocity stacks will help that incline a little more you know keep it steadily increasing
Yeah, that is definitely on my to-do list. Right now I am doing all that I can to squeeze some more power out of this thing as inexpensively as possible as I am unemployed at the moment. Once I start back up in the work force, I will be playing around with some stacks on it. These gains were all tuning; the only part that I used was a head gasket.

What were the numbers before you degreed your cams/thinner gasket. 50ft/lb of torque is damn nice and it's so linear from 10.5-14k. You'll be smashing some r6s even harder in the coming races :devious

Edit: Oh were those the ones already on the graph?
No, that mark is just at 12.5RPM as when we were doing a comparison that is where I found some great gains...just over 8hp there which is going to be magical since that is right in the rev range where I spend most of my time.

My only other time on the dyno with this bike got 117.9hp/47tq with just a Bazzaz unit, exhaust, and air filter. The motor also had 0 miles on it, had a heavy OEM rear tire, 525 chain and sprockets, and whatever crappy gas came in the tank from the dealer. All those factors will contribute to a slightly lower initial reading.

I'd be setting that shift light at 13k and goin with it!
For sure, although at that point in the rev range, the tach on the bike reads ~14k. In any case, these bikes can go to the redline if needed but will definitely benefit from being short-shifted.

That's it??

My stock zx6r dynod at 125 whp!!

^j/k, trying to beat the trolls to it :laugh

Good stuff dude :bigthumb:
Each dyno is different (which is why it is critical to use the same dyno when measuring gains), and it also depends on what smoothing method you use (compensation for atmospheric and temperature conditions). SAE5 is pretty much the standard but if you leave that uncorrected, it would probably read somewhere in the mid 130s.

For the uneducated, I can absolutely see some dyno guy handing them the results and they naturally scroll through to find the biggest number. It would be possible for a relatively stock 636 (maybe exhaust or PC) to turn 125 on an uncorrected dyno.

Incidentally CycleWorld has the 2013GSXR750 listed at 123hp and 53tq which is very comparable to what I got for results. I would bet that you could find 3 different sources which reported 3 different values for HP on that same bike, especially factory literature which tends to be very "generous" with HP numbers.

What does a bone stock 2013 6R get on the dyno typically? I've seen 112hp on some reviews of the bike...
I never pulled mine completely stock but my initial run with an untuned bazzaz unit, full exhaust, and race air filter was 113. I can see 112 being possible (although slightly optimistic) on a bone stock bike.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That is phenomenal!

I would love to put as much work into mine as you have but in Canada the max hp we are allowed is 118 (on a 600). Anything over and we get harsh penalties.

Going to pro it bumps to 128.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Impressive numbers.... At first when i saw 121hp and 50 ft lb, i was like that's it?? then i re looked and saw the top numbers. I'm you are definitely looking forward to this season.

·
Registered
961 Posts
OK, I'm going to be the dumb one to ask, but which of yours is in the video? I didn't see what was listed in the graph.

Your post says this video was warming it up, but was there a blip or shudder in the higher rpm range? I saw it was spinning up, going and going and then it like hesitated like the guy on the dyno cracked down on the throttle, then back on it, but he didn't do anything. It was almost like he shifted it.

Definitely some good numbers from your previous! Sorry to hear about your employment. I'm in the same boat as you. I got laid off myself last month.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I'm going to be the dumb one to ask, but which of yours is in the video? I didn't see what was listed in the graph.

Your post says this video was warming it up, but was there a blip or shudder in the higher rpm range? I saw it was spinning up, going and going and then it like hesitated like the guy on the dyno cracked down on the throttle, then back on it, but he didn't do anything. It was almost like he shifted it.

Definitely some good numbers from your previous! Sorry to hear about your employment. I'm in the same boat as you. I got laid off myself last month.
The video was just him playing around on the bike, warming it up getting it ready for the formal pull. I thought it sounded badass, and had some of the typical kawasaki flames in it so I figured it might make for a fun video, nothing more.

The numbers you see are the final result after several pulls with tuning and tweaking the Bazzaz and ECU inbetween which took a while and would make for a really boring video =)

·
Registered
961 Posts
The video was just him playing around on the bike, warming it up getting it ready for the formal pull. I thought it sounded badass, and had some of the typical kawasaki flames in it so I figured it might make for a fun video, nothing more.

The numbers you see are the final result after several pulls with tuning and tweaking the Bazzaz and ECU inbetween which took a while and would make for a really boring video =)
Oh yeah. It definitely sounded bad ass for sure.

Care to share that Bazzaz map? I saw that you decked the heads, so I'm sure your map would be different than mine because of raising the compression ratio, but I'd love to see it for comparison to mine, even if you are on 93 octane gas where I can only get 91 in Oklahoma :-(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts