Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious on some of the opinions of the new GPA Pros if anyone has been on them vs the Pirelli SC's. I believe the majority of riders down here in CMRA are on Pirellis including me. Has anyone used both and do the Dunlops provide as much stickum or longevity over the SCs?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I haven't run GPAs, I'm currently running Pirelli Superbike slicks and like them with warmers.

Everybody I know swears by either pirelli or dunlop. Lol. To each their own I guess.

I am curious about what he bigger 190 tire of the GPAs does to the bike.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feel like my supercorsa SC's have a quicker tip in that anything I've ridden with dunlops on it.
I either run a front/rear combo of SC1/SC1 or SC1/SC2 depending on what I can get my hands on and the ambient temperature of the day. warmers set to 80*C, warm rim, front/rear pressures at 34/24psi hot.
I notice of my mates that run dunlops seem to get a little more life from them, but I'm slightly quicker. Although one guy i know barely gets a day out of a D211 rear, but he's scary fast.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I haven't tried the GPA Pro's, but I love me some UK Ntecs. You absolutely can't beat how long those things lasted...but they're pretty much impossible to get now :( The US ntecs were terrible.

I ended up switching to R10's when my tire vendor switched from Dunlop to Bridgestone - but when I lost the front without warning, I made another switch to Pirelli. Probably wasn't the tire's fault, but it went so quick that I decided to try something else. The Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa are probably the most grippy tire out there right now. But they don't have a lot of longevity.
-Cody

·
Registered
998 Posts
I haven't tried the GPA Pro's, but I love me some UK Ntecs. You absolutely can't beat how long those things lasted...but they're pretty much impossible to get now :( The US ntecs were terrible.

I ended up switching to R10's when my tire vendor switched from Dunlop to Bridgestone - but when I lost the front without warning, I made another switch to Pirelli. Probably wasn't the tire's fault, but it went so quick that I decided to try something else. The Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa are probably the most grippy tire out there right now. But they don't have a lot of longevity.
-Cody
I had the same problem losing the front with no warning on Q 3's. They say they are good down to 1:32's on the thunderbolt. I know I was running in the 1:30's but I don't think I was any lower then 1:35. I have the gpa's on the bike right now, only 1 day on them so still unsure if I like them. If I'm still not impressed with them this year I will order my own Pirrelli's since the club I ride with no longer deals with them. I know it is all in my head since the pros can run the dunlops in the 1:20's

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I have always run Q2 on the track and loved them! Plan was to make the switch to Q3 this season.

As much as I always wanted to try the Pirelli DRC or SC, I was always bothered by their significantly higher cost and just never did.

However, my new bike cam fitted with brand new DRC's which I will be trying this weekend. I will report back with my findings!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I know it is all in my head since the pros can run the dunlops in the 1:20's
This.

Either tire will get the job done. They each have strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to find the tire that best works with your style of riding.

I run Pirelli because I "speak" Pirelli. I know how to interpret the signals the tires are sending me to find the limits of traction safely.

I will say that right now, Pirelli seems to have the upper hand in the traction department, but we are really splitting hairs. On my local track we have an uphill run that goes slightly off-camber while turning and I always make up ground there on my Dunlop-shod competition as they have to modulate throttle because the rear starts to slip, and the new V2 Pirelli doesnt.

Find the tire that you work best with, and that is the best tire for you.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had the same problem losing the front with no warning on Q 3's. They say they are good down to 1:32's on the thunderbolt. I know I was running in the 1:30's but I don't think I was any lower then 1:35. I have the gpa's on the bike right now, only 1 day on them so still unsure if I like them. If I'm still not impressed with them this year I will order my own Pirrelli's since the club I ride with no longer deals with them. I know it is all in my head since the pros can run the dunlops in the 1:20's
Street tires have a tendency to do that, no matter the brand. Comparing Q3's to GPA's is apples to oranges.
-Cody

·
Registered
879 Posts
lilmatt: i like the pirelli SC's, at my pace that last for a while. Some of the really fast experts i know are moving to dunlop tho. i've never run dunlop, only bstone and pirelli and frak a whole bunch of bstone.

for pirelli SC i run SC1 in the rear and SC2 up front. the fronts last a long time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lilmatt: i like the pirelli SC's, at my pace that last for a while. Some of the really fast experts i know are moving to dunlop tho. i've never run dunlop, only bstone and pirelli and frak a whole bunch of bstone.

for pirelli SC i run SC1 in the rear and SC2 up front. the fronts last a long time.
Yeah that's what I run as well. They are lasting decently with me as well, and it looks like we're around the same pace (you're always still ahead of me lol). I'm considering trying the new dunlops out at Cresson this month, what better weekend then a back to back extended race. At my pace I bet it's not too bad as far as grip and I wonder if it'll last longer.

who's moving to dunlops?
Yeah I want to know as well lol. I will say I saw jorge on some last November cuz the vendor was trying to get him to switch. He had this years tire and he said it was good. I haven't seen any record setters on them though...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This.

Either tire will get the job done. They each have strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to find the tire that best works with your style of riding.

I run Pirelli because I "speak" Pirelli. I know how to interpret the signals the tires are sending me to find the limits of traction safely.

I will say that right now, Pirelli seems to have the upper hand in the traction department, but we are really splitting hairs. On my local track we have an uphill run that goes slightly off-camber while turning and I always make up ground there on my Dunlop-shod competition as they have to modulate throttle because the rear starts to slip, and the new V2 Pirelli doesnt.

Find the tire that you work best with, and that is the best tire for you.
Just kind of hard to convice yourself to "try" a $390 - $450 set of tires you know? I'm not out at the front or anything and wear life is a concern, so I was considering some Dunlops. I still see a few people on them out here, but mostly Pirellis. All the fast people are on Pirelli's so it's kind of like groupthink out here lol. They are awesome, there's a reason we're all on them, I've had 0 problems. They've taken everything I've thrown and have made me faster.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I been running Pirelli SC2's on my racebike. That's what was on the bike when I got it, so I just continued to use them. Last year viets had a 3 pack deal on previous gen R10's so I tried those. It took me tearing up one of the rears to figure out the setup so I didn't really end up saving any money. Even after playing with the setup, I could go just as fast on the R10's but they didn't last as long as the SC2's, so I went back to Pirelli.

the problem with just putting different brand of tires on your bike and comparing is that the setup might need to be totally different. Without taking the time to work through all that it's not really a fair comparison.

Since I have an extra set of rims and full rains I'm going to run full slicks this year.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Nah, I'm looking for race DOTs. I could get last years dunlop the D211 off their website for $289.
i tried the R10's at COTA and those things have zero life. #pirellination #pirelli4life

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I used to ride R10s as well, had some takeoffs that I liked. I'm really considering trying these new dunlops at Cresson this month. Someone's gotta do it I guess lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts