Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 ZX-6R and am going to put on Dunlop Q3's.

What is the Recommended Track Day Tire Pressure and Street Tire Pressure?

I ran the stock Bridgestone bt16s at 30/30 track and the user manual/sticker on the bike said 36/42 for the street.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I have a 2012 ZX-6R and am going to put on Dunlop Q3's.

What is the Recommended Track Day Tire Pressure and Street Tire Pressure?

I ran the stock Bridgestone bt16s at 30/30 track and the user manual/sticker on the bike said 36/42 for the street.
One of the coaches / control riders that I had this weekend told me that a rep for Dunlop was at the track one day and recommended 36 front and back. It sounded weird to me but I tried it this weekend and it felt perfect.

With that said another person told me that a Dunlop rep told them 35 front, 34 rear for the track.

These temps are hot temps immediately off of the track.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the cold temps? I don't use tire warmers so I need a cold temp to go by

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I run 32psi front 34psi rear all the time now. I was bumping back up to 36psi front and 42psi rear. Factory settings, after every ride in the canyons,mountains. Seems to work alright.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
what are the cold temps? I don't use tire warmers so I need a cold temp to go by
Can you just start around 33 or so then check the pressure after a few laps or a session?

Here is the message I received.

Hey I just wanted to let you know that I have a friend who email Dunlop about Q3 tire pressures. They said to start at 33F and 31R, and adjust to a off the track hot temp of 35F and 34R. Sounds high to me, but they did manufacture the tire.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
One of the coaches / control riders that I had this weekend told me that a rep for Dunlop was at the track one day and recommended 36 front and back. It sounded weird to me but I tried it this weekend and it felt perfect.

With that said another person told me that a Dunlop rep told them 35 front, 34 rear for the track.

These temps are hot temps immediately off of the track.
Wow. So that means. Cold is going to be even lower about 2 to 3 pounds or more?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so you recommend using 36 front 42 rear on the street and bumping down to 32/34 for the track...does that seem a little high? I would of guessed it would be between 28 and 30

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I start at 30/30 cold, sometimes I bump the rear down 1-2psi depending on the track. My tires have lasted 2 trackdays and a bunch of canyon miles. Just to give you an idea on my pace, I usually run top 6-7 in the intermediate group.

I know guys that run 26psi on the rear, and that seems to work for them. Try out different pressures see what works for you, these tires are still fairly new so I don't think anyone has a set recommendation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i'll probably start out at 30/30 and go from there

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
On Q2's I always ran 30/30 (cold). On the Q3's I run 32 front 31 rear (cold) based on recommendations I found from Dunlop test riders.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I did some research before I used them at the track.

I set them to 30 hot front, and 28 hot rear.

Using tire warmers in high setting.

They felt like Velcro on the track! The wear pattern looked perfect.

The bad news is I think I have only one more day left in the rear!

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's awesome how many different things we have all heard from Dunlop. :)
Now that I think about it..... That, was on my Duck...... A Kow is much heavier!:devious

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Dunlop Answer Man

The Q3 is not a tire I work with at the track with racers. thus my first hand knowledge with it is limited.

BUT, I did just spend some time speaking with the test riders that did all the development with the Q3, both for street and track. So I have the best first-hand feedback I could get.

Track day pressure for the Q3 is 30 PSI rear cold, and no less than 32 PSI front cold.

if you have a 600, maybe go to 28 rear cold, however, going lower you will not get more grip, but may have instability in the rear, so its not the solution if you want a good clean ride, keep it at 30 or slightly higher to suit your riding.

In the front do not go lower the 32 psi cold. The tire has a tone of grip already, going lower on the pressure only makes the contact patch fight with itself and results in instability, poor steering, heavy steering and chatter. 32 in a minimum, highly consider going a pound or 2 more to get the bike to feel better and steer better. you wont lose grip, but you will gain a better feel and more precise steering.

32 rear and 33 front cold would be right in the middle and good starting point.

There is a point when your lap times justify a good race tire. If you find yourself trying to tweak the pressure on a Q3 to get that last little bit of usable grip, you need to step up to a race tire like D211GP-A or Slicks. If the Q3 is working for you, cool! Stay with it. But if you keep trying to change things to get more grip out of a Q3, you have hit the glass ceiling and it time to step up.

Q3 Track Pressures ? - Tires - Cornering Forum

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
32 rear and 33 front cold would be right in the middle and good starting point.
That seems very high...

I usually go out with cold pressures of 26/26 which gets me right around 30/30 hot with the Q2's. I was told they tires behave similarly and similar pressures should be run.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
That seems very high...

I usually go out with cold pressures of 26/26 which gets me right around 30/30 hot with the Q2's. I was told they tires behave similarly and similar pressures should be run.
Their construction is difference and the profile is vastly different as are the rubber compounds..
Cold as in not ridden at all yet 32/32....32/33 are about where you'll need to be
Go talk to the tire rep (hell you can email Dunlop-Bridgestone-Continental-Michelin or whomever your flavor of the week is) and he/she/they will tell you 10-15% increase in pressure from cold (not ridden on at all) to hot (fresh off the track ridden as aggressively as you can)

But far too many people who are 10 seconds off track winning pace are putting far too much emphasis on a lb or two or three in the tires thinking that is their problem. It is not the tires that are making you 10 seconds off the pace it is you.
Learn to ride on shitty tires or (in the case of anything black and round from the top manufacturers today---damn fine tires) and you improve a whole lot faster than trying to jump to the stickiest badass offering on the market and think the tire will pick up those 10 seconds...it won't
I can run within 1.5-2 seconds a lap of my best times on either the Q2 (these do fade away after about 15 minutes of this pace though)or Q3 or S20 or OO3RS, sure Ntecs or R-10 do let me go that little bit harder and drop lap times by another 1.5-2 seconds per lap but until and unless you are actually racing to win, you don't need them.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
But far too many people who are 10 seconds off track winning pace are putting far too much emphasis on a lb or two or three in the tires thinking that is their problem. It is not the tires that are making you 10 seconds off the pace it is you.
I completely agree, just surprised to hear those pressures. They just sound high to me, thats all.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts