Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude at post office said he wasn't wearing a helmet cause he "went to crash school"

So I saw a dude on a 07 zx6r and I said "nice bike". Then I said "where's your helmet". He said:

"It's ok, I've been to crash school. I know how to fall."
I said "So you're head react differently to pavement then people who haven't been to crash school?
"Absolutely. Helmets cause more injuries, they're actually dangerous. It's all about how you fall"
I said "Like snowboarding?"
"Yeah"

You can't teach someone like that.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I don't hassle people about it. If they're not required to wear a helmet and they choose not to that's up to them. I'm not required to wear a helmet but I choose to wear one. I like the freedom to do what I choose. Will wearing a helmet improve your chances? Sure. Will driving the speed limit all the time improve your chances? Sure. Do I ride the speed limit all the time? Nope.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
His life, let him live it but it won't be for long though. sadly to say...

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I almost always say something. I've got no savior complex, but if it makes one person rethink their stance on helmets, then its worth it their family would thank me.

I never post about it, but this time I did. I called the dude an idiot, cause he is. Crash school. Gtfoh.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you really want people like that reproducing anyway? He's doing humankind a favor. Darwinism keeps our species strong.
You think "Crash School" gives a free vasectomy with every class purchase?

They should.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've heard of that place it's the

Gary Busey School of Crashing

I apologize for the joke, I just hate tragedies that are so easily avoided.
I hope he remains safe.

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
So I saw a dude on a 07 zx6r and I said "nice bike". Then I said "where's your helmet". He said:

"It's ok, I've been to crash school. I know how to fall."
I said "So you're head react differently to pavement then people who haven't been to crash school?
"Absolutely. Helmets cause more injuries, they're actually dangerous. It's all about how you fall"
I said "Like snowboarding?"
"Yeah"

You can't teach someone like that.
Are you sure he wasn't just being a smart ass? Perhaps he's heard that line 100 times and just figured he would roll with it? :O

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Let natural selection take its course. Society on the whole would be tons better if we did.

While we are at it, take the warning labels off of everything and let the stupid weed itself out of our gene pool.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I disagree with some of the responses here.

It is perfectly reasonable to feel strongly about your hobby/ passion (motorcycling in this case) and feel that others are doing it a disservice. Also in this particular case, the behavior on the part of others reflects onto society's perception of all motorcyclists, which in turns leads us to being hated and alienated.

We whine all the time that people in cars do not regard us with more consideration. What sort of a message are you communicating to 'cagers' when you don't regard your own life with more seriousness? Why would you expect others to 'look out' for you when you cannot be bothered to put your own gray matter in a bucket?

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't expect population-thinning motorcycle Darwinism AND yammer on for more visibility and consideration. Which is it, folks?

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I disagree with some of the responses here.

It is perfectly reasonable to feel strongly about your hobby/ passion (motorcycling in this case) and feel that others are doing it a disservice. Also in this particular case, the behavior on the part of others reflects onto society's perception of all motorcyclists, which in turns leads us to being hated and alienated.

We whine all the time that people in cars do not regard us with more consideration. What sort of a message are you communicating to 'cagers' when you don't regard your own life with more seriousness? Why would you expect others to 'look out' for you when you cannot be bothered to put your own gray matter in a bucket?

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't expect population-thinning motorcycle Darwinism AND yammer on for more visibility and consideration. Which is it, folks?
You are completely right, but some people have to learn the hard way and that is the only way they will learn.

I've had a hell of a motorcycle career. Crashed and shattered a collarbone at the track, have had 4 friends die in the past 2 years, including 2 in front of my eyes. I've become essentially an advocate over here about rider safety, taking it to the track, etc. but I have learned one very distinct thing about people in my time to help other riders. You can show them your crash videos, your surgery pictures. Tell them how gear saved your ass, tell them stories about the people you lost, and after all that, they will continue to do what they do. It isn't until they hit that pavement for the first time that they learn to start wearing proper gear, that fast in a straight line does not make you a good rider, and the importance of things like progressive braking and not target fixating.

That's the best lesson for people, and for some, the only thing that's going to change them. Fortunately for this guy, he will probably be fine, as only good riders seem to be the ones that pass away on us :-(

I've stopped trying to preach. If someone really wants to hear it, I'll sit them down all day, but the ones you can tell are just full of ignorance, I won't bother, I'll get them on the "I coulda told you so" speech.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts