Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised here are the picts of the ducati factory...or more aptly put the ducati museum since photos in the factory are forbidden. ducati gave us a nice reception, we hung out in the desmo cafe, saw some desmocidici RR's get boxed up for delievery, and all in all had a good time. After seeing the factory, i can honestly say i will never be buying a ducati. On with the picts!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've lived in italy, so i realize that what i'm about to say is a blanket statement and doesn't apply as a whole, but i found the ducati factory, like most things italian, to be show first, go second. Everything is about the look, making the damn thing run right, and be reliable is a secondary consideration. They JUST instituted policies in their assembly line that most manufacteurers have been doing for decades. CNC is something very new to them, efficiency...that's a foreign word. I dunno, you go into the place, and it looks like a factory right out of WWII...which it basically is. After walking through the factory, and seeing the process the bikes go through, its easy to walk up to a duc now and see the spotty welds, and sort of hapzard assembly.

Don't get me wrong, i think the bikes look great, and they have some solid numbers behind them...but for $$$ i'd expect something more refined, polished, and better built. I'm 900x more sure now that my R1 is a better built bike fit and finish, and i have no problems with its reliability...i would never be able to say that about a duc.

It reminds of an article on the guy that designed the 999 when he talked about how far behind the 999 was in technology with what's available. I have a hard time considering Italy a first world country (go there...you will too), so it doesn't surprise me when walking on the factory floor they have a giant milling machine circa 1920 (no joke) that makes parts...and they admit that they could buy a cheaper machine that does the same job 100x faster (also no joke), with better precision, but don't cause they like this one more.

just my impression didn't sit well i guess, and from what i understand ferrari was the same way for a LONG time. I just saw a program on Aprilia's update factory...i don't see how ducati can hold out much longer like they are now :O

-:banana

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ah, I always thought Ducati's were one of the most well built and high quality machines out there...now I know their dark secret. Thanks

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its anything but that...i'd wager one of the worst built...just my impression.

oh i forgot to mention, just about everything on the bike is out sourced. ducati pretty much only makes their own engines.

-:banana

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Oh well. The 1098's some of the best eye candy ever made

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree, 1098 is the FIRST Ducati i have ever wanted to buy (can't, broke!).
But after reading all the reports on one they go on about improved reliabilty and reduced servicing costs etc etc.
Sod all that, JUST LOOK AT IT!!!!!!! SEX ON 2 WHEELS!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i always though ducatis where made the best also( but i just couldnt see my self spending that kind of money on a stock bike when i can buy a jap bike and put the money into parts I WANT AND LIKE, but the 1098 is sexy i ran one at the track it was a S and two 749s, they looked pretty when we lined up but all there riders where slower than me, yes i know its all about the riderrrrr but the did look and sound sexy the bikes that is but still couldnt spend the money on it, so crashed how u feel about MV?

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's a new day.. and I had time to think about it..

Yep I would still buy one.. :laugh... I just like working on stuff.. love the sound of the Valves clanking, and dry clutch.. Love the old skool mechanical stuff...

So if anyone knows anyone with a 749 that wants to trade straight up.. lemme know.. I have title in hand...:devious

·
Registered
215 Posts
all you guys that want to go to ducati feel free but i grant you this YOU'LL BE BACK ducati look good period $9000 to rebuild a 748 engine after it spit's the crank at 15000km could not get rid of it quick enough was blinded by the stigma of ducati now have seen the light and back on my 05 636 which makes the 748 feel like a scooter kawasaki all the way

·
Registered
503 Posts
Up the Ninja's !:hail !!!!!!!!!!:) !!!!!!!!!!!
Ticking valve train and all!:devious

1 - 20 of 51 Posts