Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

today I went to my local gas station and turned the bike off pulling the stand down. Filled a full tank, paid and got back to my bike. Turned the key 1 click and I saw 1 on the display so I pulled the clutch and put it in N. Pushed the starter (bike still on the stand and I’m off the bike, standing beside it)... it jumped forward, stand retracted and bike dropped on its left side... 😿 It all happened very very fast so I couldn’t do anything to save it!

WTF happened!? How is that possible!? Display said N!!! Is it possible for the display to show N and have the 1st partially inserted!?

Thank god not much damage, only few scratches. The gear pedal and quick shifter were a bit bent but I managed to straighten them and they work fine!

I feel so stupid, but more than that, is this normal!? Ever happened to anyone else? 1) I’m 99% sure it was in Neutral 2) how is it possible that with all the electronic on these bikes there is nothing preventing to start the bike with the gear in and stand down!??? I cannot believe it. I feel like shit...

Brand new bike.... ☹

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed to N, released the clutch, pressed the starter. If it jumped like that it means the gear was in so I can’t really explain what happened...

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
We had a forum member that dropped his new '19 about three times in the first month in his garage and at a gas station lol. Maybe there was some pressure on the shift peg or was not fully disengaged.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Changed to N, released the clutch, pressed the starter. If it jumped like that it means the gear was in so I can’t really explain what happened...
Yikes...sorry to hear of your misfortune. I can’t help with what happened but I can suggest sitting on the bike when you start it to avoid a repeat of this in the future.
It’s a lot easier to control when you’re on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a forum member that dropped his new '19 about three times in the first month in his garage and at a gas station lol. Maybe there was some pressure on the shift peg or was not fully disengaged.
ya, that would explain it! Maybe I touched the shift peg without realising it... it all happened very fast! 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes...sorry to hear of your misfortune. I can’t help with what happened but I can suggest sitting on the bike when you start it to avoid a repeat of this in the future.
It’s a lot easier to control when you’re on it.

Thank you, I could not believe it. Started while standing many times with my old Honda, never had a single issue! Well, lesson learned. I will never ever start it unless I’m 100% sure about that and/or I’m on it....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...and hopefully the quick shifter is not damaged! Rode for 30 miles after straightening the shift peg + quick shifter and worked fine! I’ll get it checked at the first service. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post some pics of the bike so we can see the damage and the bike itself...never get sick of looking at bikes!!

In the pic above it looks like the handlebar is bent but it’s the lens distortion...

There you go! So, ya a lot of scratches but functionally everything is ok. Gear peg is still clearly bent but much better than before. Not sure if it’s worth changing...

What you think!? The peg and shifter seem pretty solid if I move them, no apparent issue.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Straightening bent levers usually results in the part snapping. My shifter has been replaced due to a similar but slightly faster fall. Maybe 5 MPH onto gravel..... When I tried to straighten.... snap! New shifter has a spring loaded folding tip, so it's less likely to catch on the ground and get bent.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Straightening bent levers usually results in the part snapping. My shifter has been replaced due to a similar but slightly faster fall. Maybe 5 MPH onto gravel..... When I tried to straighten.... snap! New shifter has a spring loaded folding tip, so it's less likely to catch on the ground and get bent.
mmm... no snaps so far! I bent it the opposite way and that’s how it looks now...

I wonder how much is it?

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
If it didn't break, it probably won't..... Peace of mind, it'd be nice to have the replacement tucked away under the seat just in case. Both my bar ends are scratched up, and repainted. All the foot controls have some level of scratches. Brake and clutch levers are slightly tweaked, but functional. Character. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it didn't break, it probably won't..... Peace of mind, it'd be nice to have the replacement tucked away under the seat just in case. Both my bar ends are scratched up, and repainted. All the foot controls have some level of scratches. Brake and clutch levers are slightly tweaked, but functional. Character. :)
Well, bikes are made to be used so I guess it happens to everybody at some point... I just wasn’t planning it to happen on day 2...

Funnily enough I dropped my CBR years ago at the gas station the first very day I took it from her previous owner (and never dropped it again the following 3 years)...

I’m starting to think this is how I’m supposed to do the initial break-in...

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Hopefully clear sailing from here on out. My pattern seems to be about 20,000 miles between crashes. All of which have been operator error, not involving any other vehicle. Of course the one outlier was getting rear ended in stop and go traffic, in southern California back in the late '80's.... could have filtered and kept moving, looking back -- have to chalk that up to me, as well.

I can't think of a bike I have owned, that hasn't hit the ground.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Man you lucked out for sure. I was expecting much worse. That paint scheme is awesome so I’m happy that you can barely tell it’s touched the ground.

My ninja slid across a HIghway Service road last year so they tend to touch down every now and then. You can totally touch up that bar end (or flip it over) and lever with a sharpie.

I like RJs suggestion of getting the bent part just to have on hand...better safe than sorry is the way to go and down time sucks on a bike.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
It's also worth mentioning that the OEM exhaust can does a remarkably good job of keeping the rest of the bike off the pavement (on the right side). The shorty systems don't protrude as far, and are not as solid. From my perspective, damage to plastics is nearly inevitable with a SS.

Sliders and case savers can mitigate a lot of that, at the additional expense and potential damage they will cause is over stressed. That trade off has always been a difficult one for me. Stuff the bike in hard enough, no level of add on protection will prevent damage. How much cost does that extra protection represent? If you're willing to live with a few scratches.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts