Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope you guys could clear something up for me? Does anyone know if a helmet would be affected if it was dropped about 2' onto the floor. Thought i had a hold of it when i picked it up with my gloves and i didnt! it fell to the kitchen floor and i was very angrey with myself. Would this cause any damage to the helmet that would cause me to purcahse a new one? Its an Arai Condor. :doh Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
2' or 4' ?

You're supposed to replace or have the helmet inspected after a drop.

(If it was my helmet, I would make my own call, if there was no cracking of the shell or paint or chipping where it impacted, I'd probably use it. The shell protects the polystyrene that doesn most of the protection / impact / energy absorbing.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was dropped about 3feet at the most, it fell as i was lifting it from the floor. There are no signs on the shell, no chips, no scratches or damage to the paint. I might get it inspected, would they be able to tell if the polystyrene inpact stuff is damaged? Anyone had the same thing happen? Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The polystyrene will be fine.

If it was my lid and there was no chips or cracks or anything I'd just wear it. But that's me and my head. I wouldn't bother sending mine back to Arai.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess if Shin Nak (formerly Kawasaki MotoGP) managed to smash is head at 200mph more than once with his Arai and walk away, then im sure a small drop with no head inside would do me just fine.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
anything over 3 feet or i just replace it, not cuz i have money just cuz when the time comes i want the helmet to work right when i bust my ass at 120, i dont care about if the paint is fine or not i cant see the inner shell so just to be sure i get a new one

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys, spoke with a few people and they rekon helmets are test for impact with a force associated to having a head in with direct force impact over a small area and rekon the helmet should be O.K. But its my call and if i feel confident go for it, but if i have a little doubt, get it changed. So im gonna use it for now and start saving… i have an excuse for a new helmet now, so the misses cant argue! lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
helmet check

I work in the motorcycle trade,if you take the arai to any 5 star dealer in the UK,they should be able to send your helmet to Phoenix(who are the UK distributors for Arai)they can check it/X ray it to see if its safe to use.There maybe a small charge for this.good luck.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers, i may do just that, or take it to the local hospital and see if they can pop it under the x-ray! lol

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
cheers, i may do just that, or take it to the local hospital and see if they can pop it under the x-ray! lol
Airport would probably be easier :laugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts