Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Another one of those infamous 'what do I do' threads of mine.

As y'all know, I gave up a lot of things to own my 2012 outright and planned to track it this year with some inkling of dedication. I just moved back to grad school in Wisconsin from Lousyanna, and the motivation to ride the 6R just seems to be dying off. I don't enjoy commuting anymore. Maybe it is a negative consequence of doing track days... cruising just does not make me happy. I love my bike, but school seems to have made things move on and change my needs as a rider at this point.

I thought I'd try to get a second bike and keep the 6R around till I can afford to do a track day once in a while. That seems easier said than done, though. I've yet to don the leathers and go for a spirited ride... just too much uncertainty in the twisties to enjoy any of that, though, and I'm probably riding at 30% of my potential... the 6R simply does not seem to be working anymore.

Again, this bike has meant a lot to me, personally even, and I would not want to replace it if I could help. Grad school just gives me no time (just riding for pleasure) or resources (track time) to indulge with the motorcycle anymore. Granted, it is good to have a perfectly-functioning motorcycle around when I need to get somewhere and the truck is down, but I don't seem to be able to justify storing her in the garage.

Has anyone gone through this? Am I avoiding the bitter pill and should I just move onto something else that is a little street-focused? I think I would love the idea of an underpowered bike for the streets.

Not sure where I'm at right now... New season, new problems.
Any input will be really appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
If you can cash out of the 6R, and find something that is more fun to ride at the pace(s) allowed in street riding, you'd probably enjoy it more. The old agade about riding a slow bike fast, is true. Probably one of the most fun rides I have had was a Suzuki Bandit 400, and I also had a chance to ride a Honda 400 from the same time frame. A smaller inline 4 makes all the same noises, and requires a more skilled hand to get it to cook at full tilt.

Making those bikes scream in 1st through 3rd barely broke the speed limit. I giggled the whole time I was riding them. And they got great MPG. Light weight, simple brakes, tires, easy on the wallet and still fun.

I ride for the joy of it..... that's pretty much anything with two wheels, whenever the mood and opportunity arise. I am always affected in a negative way when I don't own a bike; but I am not welded to a particular kind, or type of riding. I know I don't really enjoy big fat slow bikes.... but there is a place for that as well.

If you choose to focus on school and think no bike is better than trying to house the poor thing while you work out what is best, sell it and don't look back.

Keep your riding gear.

You'll re-enter when you are ready (and able) to.

./ 0.02

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I bought my dirt bike a bit ago and ever since my 6 has been more of a tool. I enjoy riding it, I really do. I just mainly use it now for commuting and have no intensions of a track day unless I get a wild hair one day and take advantage of a 50% off the first track day with RideSmart. I spend my time at the motocross track now and have WAY more fun than I do on "spirited" rides on the 6. Other than that, I just see no value for me in spending $250+ for a day when I can spend MUCH less on a motocross track. Not to mention that maintenance and parts for the 2-smoke is about 1/8 of that on the 6. It was a no-brainer for me really.

Road track day = $250+
Motocross track = $30 tops

Plus I feel that I'm forced to keep myself in much better shape had I decided to just track the 6. I grew up in the dirt so it just rlfeels like home to me. Ultimately, like I've always told you, it's your choice. But if you just hold onto the 6 because of its symbolism, you aren't doing yourself any favors. Buy a dirt bike Badger!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
^^^^^This and RJ2112

Most of my time on two wheels these days is on a smaller displacement CBR500R and I LOVE the thing! It gets great gas mileage and it's fun to wring it out.

I also have an FZ1 which is basically a street-tuned R1. Canyons on that monster are fucking amazing! I bought it with 90K miles on it if you recall and rebuilt it so it was CHEAP!

You're not alone in your predicament. Been there, done that, fixed it like this. That's the Mrs. on the ZX-6R.

·
Banned
7,068 Posts
I bought a klr650...

It is a tank mechanically.
It has very nice range (~300 miles or as I call it a week of commuting per tank) for <$15
It is quick enough at road legal speeds to be fun.
It is slow enough to stay out of trouble.
I (mechanically challenged as I am) got down far enough to measure the valves in about 1.5 hours.
I did my own tire and tube swap.
Tires range from $50 a set to $120 a set.
It will go ANYWHERE.
I have all the passing power I want/need.
It is comfortable to ride.

I could not be more happy.

I intend to use my zx for track only, which does mean that she will probably only see pavement 4-6 times this year, maybe more with test runs at a strip... Because it's right over there and cheap ($30). Who knows what decision I will make a year or two from now. For the moment I am satisfied.

Ey3

·
Registered
266 Posts
As you know I went through a similar situation last year with losing interest in riding a supersport on the street. I was conflicted on whether to sell the 6R or not because I liked it so much, but in the end it was the right decision to sell.

For the money I got out of the 6R I was able to pick up an older dedicated track bike and a cb300f to putt around town on. The cb is completely utilitarian and I don't feel like i'm wasting 95% of the bike's performance cruising the speed limit. It's made riding a more laid back and relaxing experience again, something that was lost once the track opened my eyes to what supersports can really do.

Maybe the best choice would be for you to sell the 6R and buy a cheap small displacement around town bike (dual sport maybe) and save the left over money for a dedicated track bike later down the road. Added benefits of the little bikes are insurance is stupid cheap, and they get 65 mpg.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As you know I went through a similar situation last year with losing interest in riding a supersport on the street. I was conflicted on whether to sell the 6R or not because I liked it so much, but in the end it was the right decision to sell.

For the money I got out of the 6R I was able to pick up an older dedicated track bike and a cb300f to putt around town on. The cb is completely utilitarian and I don't feel like i'm wasting 95% of the bike's performance cruising the speed limit. It's made riding a more laid back and relaxing experience again, something that was lost once the track opened my eyes to what supersports can really do.

Maybe the best choice would be for you to sell the 6R and buy a cheap small displacement around town bike (dual sport maybe) and save the left over money for a dedicated track bike later down the road. Added benefits of the little bikes are insurance is stupid cheap, and they get 65 mpg.
Utilitarian is an excellent choice in words. That hits my CBR500R right between the eyes which is also true of your CB300F. It totally brings back the basic joy of riding.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guess I'll NEVER be hitting a track...don't want my joy of riding to disappear...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Get a ninja 300 for the street/commute! Sounds like you don't get a lot of enjoyment of of riding on the 600, so why not go down to something you can ring out with little fear of flying off a cliff? You can go bang that sucker into a corner at full throttle and be fine, and It could be loads of fun I think. The new ninja 300's look pretty damn good, and you can work on some technique without the fear of destroying you're awesome 600! I'd say it's a good idea, what do you think?

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
after 22 years of riding.... hell yes. There are mornings I just don't feel like putting the gear on for the 7 mile trek to work. But then... low and behold.... I'm sitting at some stop light... and a kid will throw a :bigthumb: or wave and I'm just like... "Yeah... I love this phucking bike..."

Do whatcha gotta do for YOU bro. There are always bikes out there. Or just do what I do sometimes. Get on it and ride it for that couple of free hours you have. Hell... ride to Starbucks and sit there looking at it. lol... my guess is you'll find your answer one way or another.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Guess I'll NEVER be hitting a track...don't want my joy of riding to disappear...
each person is different. I still LOVE the track. But I LOOOOVE to ride. Period. And street riding has its own set of things that I find invigorating. Just two different environments. Obviously... I don't go fast on the street.... well.... not that fast. :devious

·
Registered
116 Posts
After all the track riding I've done over the winter, I went out for a street ride for the first time this year and realized that I too don't want to ride a super sport motorcycle on the street anymore. I'm going to try again but really, the street is just too dangerous now that I'm used to going as fast as I want. Riding the speed limit on the zx6r is BORING! I've seen other threads where people ask if track riding will ruin your street fun and for me the answer is yes, it did! Lucky for me, I bought the zx6r for the purpose of track riding. The only regret I have about buying it is that I should have kept my cbr250r instead of trading it in. Sorry to hear you can't get to the track this year but hey, we had a hell of a good time at TWS last year, right?!!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Riding the track changes most peoples view of riding on the street. My first year and a half in NC I put about 18k miles on my 6r. The NC mountains really are something really really special. Well some of you have been to the dragon. well theres a hell of alot more going on than just that area.

Anyway after riding the track, I really havent been on the street nearly as much and I am nmot as giddy about riding in the moutains. Now I LOVE to ride my bike so I still go the mountains and ride more than most people but relatively speaking it has diminished quite a bit.

I have slowed down on the street quite a bit and I cant stand to commute. So if I were you and I was commuting on my 6r theres no way I could enjoy that.

I did buy an SV650. Cheaper bike and I can wind it up a bit more than I can the 6r.

I am not sure that I gave much of a perspective but yes I think it happens to alot of peopel that the joy of the street diminishes after riding on the street. I have just learned to practice a different set of skills and work on different things when i am on the street. Alot of times in the mountains I practice the no brakes drill now. Its a change of pace that adds some excitement to the ride. Sometiems I purposely take a bad line just to practice my skill of riding in less than ideal lane location. Things like that really help me stay interested on the street.

Reactions: CHEEF13 and Todd

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I've been to the track a few times, and I sill love riding on the street and in the canyons!

You don't have to be riding at 100% of your speed/skill to enjoy the bike or even to learn/gain more skill. As Keith Code says, you actually learn better when you ride at or below 70%. I notice this a lot when I ride slower with newer riders in the canyons.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
After all the track riding I've done over the winter, I went out for a street ride for the first time this year and realized that I too don't want to ride a super sport motorcycle on the street anymore. I'm going to try again but really, the street is just too dangerous now that I'm used to going as fast as I want. Riding the speed limit on the zx6r is BORING! I've seen other threads where people ask if track riding will ruin your street fun and for me the answer is yes, it did! Lucky for me, I bought the zx6r for the purpose of track riding. The only regret I have about buying it is that I should have kept my cbr250r instead of trading it in. Sorry to hear you can't get to the track this year but hey, we had a hell of a good time at TWS last year, right?!!!
"Riding the speed limit is boring" - Not when you're doing the "speed limit" through a "25mph" turn. :D

But I hear ya. This happens to a lot of people who ride a lot of track. They "trade" one for the other. Others simply choose not to trade one for the other. But I feel ya on the not having a supersport for the street. That's my next adventure too. A V-Strom is on my radar. Because I wanna ride 300 miles a day without my ass going numb.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
"Riding the speed limit is boring" - Not when you're doing the "speed limit" through a "25mph" turn. :D

But I hear ya. This happens to a lot of people who ride a lot of track. They "trade" one for the other. Others simply choose not to trade one for the other. But I feel ya on the not having a supersport for the street. That's my next adventure too. A V-Strom is on my radar. Because I wanna ride 300 miles a day without my ass going numb.

The part about 25mph turn... yes!

I wish the really tight corners were closer but this is true. There are some extremely tight and technical roads here in NC and there is just absolutely no way you could haul ass. Some of these turns are marked for 15mph! I do find great enjoyment in having fun going up those mountains going "slow" but near the maximum speed the road even allows. Dont need to be in triple digits to have fun.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Don't sell the bike - you already own it, why not just hang onto it and buy a second bike?

More is always better!!!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Hey gang,

Another one of those infamous 'what do I do' threads of mine.

As y'all know, I gave up a lot of things to own my 2012 outright and planned to track it this year with some inkling of dedication. I just moved back to grad school in Wisconsin from Lousyanna, and the motivation to ride the 6R just seems to be dying off. I don't enjoy commuting anymore. Maybe it is a negative consequence of doing track days... cruising just does not make me happy. I love my bike, but school seems to have made things move on and change my needs as a rider at this point.

I thought I'd try to get a second bike and keep the 6R around till I can afford to do a track day once in a while. That seems easier said than done, though. I've yet to don the leathers and go for a spirited ride... just too much uncertainty in the twisties to enjoy any of that, though, and I'm probably riding at 30% of my potential... the 6R simply does not seem to be working anymore.

Again, this bike has meant a lot to me, personally even, and I would not want to replace it if I could help. Grad school just gives me no time (just riding for pleasure) or resources (track time) to indulge with the motorcycle anymore. Granted, it is good to have a perfectly-functioning motorcycle around when I need to get somewhere and the truck is down, but I don't seem to be able to justify storing her in the garage.

Has anyone gone through this? Am I avoiding the bitter pill and should I just move onto something else that is a little street-focused? I think I would love the idea of an underpowered bike for the streets.

Not sure where I'm at right now... New season, new problems.
Any input will be really appreciated, thanks!
Maybe you should jack off more?:O:laugh
Seriously though. You'll sort it out. You know what's best for you. You're smart.:)

·
Registered
590 Posts

I started on a DL650. Great bike. I should have kept it when I bought my ZX-6R.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's very difficult to enjoy once you get it involved in every day routine. That's what I noticed killed my excitement of owning a motorcycle every day I'm on it the more risks and dangers I put myself in. So like you I kept my bike and started driving my cars and truck to work with an occasional ride to work every week or two, but I started to really enjoy it when I can get up in the morning plan a good ride to the twisties. I can't wait for weekends to come so I can ride or work on her sometimes I can't and start buying things and installing or adjusting things. I plan to do my track day next month and I'm really excited and nervous. But I'm sure no track will ever be the same as some of the mountain roads I have around here there's to many I may have a speed limit but no limit of riding as long as the roads are clear. My plan is to get another bike a liter bike for the street and keep the zx6 for the track but we see plans change

1 - 20 of 47 Posts