Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Does rider height affect confidence when riding(moving)?

• No effect

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Over Confidence

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Helps

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An odd question.
Do you think height plays a role in motorcycle respect? (primarily when moving/riding)

Popped into my head today while watching a youtube video this morning, of a 6ft+ guy man handling his 600, which resulted in a crash. I started to think about it a little. I know being taller & larger on a psychology front gives people confidence, so I'm curious how people see it play in with Motorcycles.

My thoughts as a 5'3" rider are... That I respect bikes right off the bat because I know they are larger than me. I can in no way manhandle a supersport, but have seen larger people treat them like toys. So it got me thinking that outside of our mental & maturity states, that our own height, and muscle masses might give some an over confidence illusion. I guess it would also lead to some other questions but this is a good starter.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Does having a big dick get you laid more often or not?

I'd like to think not, talking to a few girls about it before they prefer pleasure over pain.

Looks like i'm in luck.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
I would think not being able to touch both feet down could cause some problems.
We see lowered bikes for this reason, (some are lowered for other reasons)
Its certainly easier to move a bike around (backing out of parking etc) when you can touch both feet.
I can see where that can affect confidence, But I'll also point to motogp racer

Dani Pedrosa
Motorcycle Racer
Daniel "Dani" Pedrosa Ramal is a Spanish Grand Prix motorcycle racer. Pedrosa grew up in a village near Sabadell called Castellar del Vallès. He is the youngest world champion in 250cc Grands Prix. Pedrosa is 1.58 m tall and weighs 51 kg. Wikipedia
Born: September 29, 1985 (age 29), Sabadell, Spain
Height: 5' 2" (1.58 m)
Nationality: Spanish
Movies: MotoGP 2009: Official Review
Parents: Basilia Ramal, Antonio Pedrosa
Nominations: Laureus World Sports Award for Breakthrough of the Year

@5' 2" he is not the tallest rider on the grid, But has won a fair share of races.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm 6'5 and have quite a bit of confidence in how I handle my 636. That being said, it has nothing to do with my size (makes some things easier, some more difficult) and it is more to do with my experience and understanding of the bike with proper technique etc. A lot of guys also think just because they are tall means they are king shit but to be honest I'd rather be shorter on a bike.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Im tall and actually have less confidence "manhandling" the bike. I am not comfortable in full tuck and dont feel like I fit all that great on the bike. It all depends on your skills though.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Do I look like I am manhandling it? lol

I look more odd. Personaly I tink these bikes fit a person shorter than me much better but I still love them and have no desire for a bigger bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Do I look like I am manhandling it? lol

I look more odd. Personaly I tink these bikes fit a person shorter than me much better but I still love them and have no desire for a bigger bike.
Out of curiosity, how tall are you, Spidey?

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad owned a 70's era Bultaco Frontera 250 and I would literally have to climb up on to it while it rested against the garage wall, start it, push away from the wall and take off. If I dropped it while riding I would have to have help picking it up but I never felt like I didn't have confidence with my riding skills on a bike that was way too large. My first track day was on a stock CBR250 last year. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175lbs. I certainly didn't feel over confident on the smaller bike. My answer is no effect.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Out of curiosity, how tall are you, Spidey?
6'4''

I think Korey (OkayH) on here is like 6'5" and I am pretty sure he races. I wonder if he is flexible or if he feels a lil uncomfrtable as well. When I try to get inproper position ( like a fist between my nuts and the tank) I feel super bunched up!

I feel most comfortable hanging off the bike when I can feel my ass touching the tail section of the bike but then I am right over the rear suspension and that cant be good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am not comfortable in full tuck
This is my biggest issue with being tall. It's so unnatuarl to get that low and elbows either get squished between the tank and my knees or my knees squished by the elbows and tank. Cruising though it's nice because I just lean on my elbows rested on my knees.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I try to get inproper position ( like a fist between my nuts and the tank) I feel super bunched up!

I feel most comfortable hanging off the bike when I can feel my ass touching the tail section of the bike but then I am right over the rear suspension and that cant be good.
I sit almost balls on the tank and have my rearsets forward and up as far as they go. For me I'm bunched up but it's actually the most comfortable as my legs are positioned how they would if I just squatted down standing on the ground.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does having a big dick get you laid more often or not?

I'd like to think not, talking to a few girls about it before they prefer pleasure over pain.

Looks like i'm in luck.
Not sure this has anything to do with the topic.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's all the rider...my buddy is 5'8 maybe 130lbs full gear and can ride a sportbike like no one I've ever seen

Possibly being too tall could effect it but there are all diffrent bikes with diffrent adjustments to fix ergonomics

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Actually wait -- the only time being "short" could come into play is if your arm length becomes a limiting factor in how far you can hang off while leaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Comparing motogp racers to average joe is apples to oranges.

Being 6'2" 200lbs of muscle you will have more confidence with the bike, then being 5'1" having to use your whole body weight to just get the bike off its kickstand.

·
Registered
865 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts