Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Does my bike needs a CCT?

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  ymad4 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Since you guys never failed me i chooses to ask you first about an issue that i have on my bike before i spend any $$ or let anyone get advantage of me by not knowing much about the bike.

i recently realized a noise that coming from the engine and it sounds like ticking and i did a little research and most of the videos that i saw say that the CCT problem and it needs either to adjust or to replace, so i uploaded a video on youtube just to let you guys hear that noise and hopefully i can find the answer.

my bike is 2006 zx6r has 12080 miles on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwsdTSm9pU

if you guys are unable to hear it well, let me know so i can take another video and upload it again

#4 ·
Neither one of the videos seems to be working for me

#5 ·
I had the same noise , ummm does it do it when cold and go away when it warms up? I ended up replacing the timing chain tensioner and that didn't fix it so I took the valve cover off and checked the specs on my valve lash. Found only one was out by .02 mm . Which was very reassuring to know that nothing was gonna blow up! I wanted to make sure nothing was super loose. Instead of adjusting that one because it requires a shit ton of work . I just decided to live with it. So I put it all together and decided I'd maybe start running the 20-50 oil cuz its a little thicker. But I started my bike and the noise is gone! Lol I have no clue y it went away but for now it's gone... For now. I believe it's possible that the chain tensioner wasn't all the way out cuz its self adjusting . So there's your answer, lol u prolly don't like it tho

#6 ·
Hard to tell from that video, hold the camera down by the right side of the motor and let us hear that.

#11 ·
If you rev it up, does it make more noise when you shut the throttle?

Does it sound the same left side and right? The cam chain and tensioner are on the right

#12 ·
I can hear the noise in both sides but it is way louder on the right side than the left side. when i give it a gas it seems like it goes a little bit quieter and the whole noise goes way quieter when the bike is warm like 140 degree or higher. the more the biker warmer the more the biker is quieter.

#14 ·
If it's noticeably louder on the right side it's probably the CCT. There are SO MANY threads and videos on how to fix this, so you'd be best to do a forum search.

Options are usually:
1 - Adjust the automatic cct yourself (because it's not working properly)
2 - Replace with a new automatic tensioner (will probably end up failing again like the first one)
3 - Replace with a manual tensioner (this is the best option, just MAKE SURE YOU DON'T OVERTIGHTEN IT!)

#16 ·
Don't get the manual my buddy put one on his Honda and had it slightly over tight and it ended up stretching his chain and blew the motor. The factory part is like 100$ and is self adjusting. The CCT has these little ridges on it and a spring loaded lock so that when the chain stretched out it cliks out one ridge. Sometimes if the chain is not loose enough for it to push out a click you'll get the noise.. I saw a post about putting it in gear and rolling it backwards with the clutch In and then letting it out to load up the motor .im guessing the idea is to load it up and release it a few times to try to get the tensioner to push out atooth....don't remember the forum that it was on.

#17 ·
I saw a post about putting it in gear and rolling it backwards with the clutch In and then letting it out to load up the motor .im guessing the idea is to load it up and release it a few times to try to get the tensioner to push out atooth....don't remember the forum that it was on.
This ^^^ I found the same advice on one of the ZX10 forums. Their engines use same tensioner as ours I believe. I've tried this and seems to work. I put my bike into 3rd gear pulled clutch in, got some speed going in reverse, dump clutch and for some reason it tightens up the adjuster. Just make sure when you do this the ignition is OFF you don't want to bump start the bike. Might not work at first but each time start bike afterwards and listen to see if CCT is running quieter.

How or why this works I dunno, just know it does.:O

#18 ·
Sounds like a CCT issue to me.

#20 ·
You can't satay that the manual tensioner is a bad idea because your buddy made the mistake of over tightening. If installed properly it's fine...the stock crappy automatic tensioner is like a CCT for dummies but the design sucks and I have the ticking as well with 1400 miles on my 08... P.S, I tried the rolling back and dump the clutch method in gear with no luck on getting it to click out another tooth....for now I will ride her like she desires until I get the manual tensioner and set it correctly

#24 ·
You haven't left any socket ends, allen keys, etc. on top of the engine after working on the bike have you? I had a similar noise, turned out to be a 6mm allen key bouncing around in the gap between the block and the airbox

#25 ·
if you are going to adjust your CCT make sure you have a DEAD quiet environment because as you wait for the click, it is so quiet and so sudden you could miss it.
after i did my valve clearances the tensioner didn't take up quite enough slack and was making a bit more noise than for my liking, and ONE and ONLY ONE click, did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.