Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a P8F 2008 race bike, and I can't get it to handle. It's SO stiff. Main problem is the rear. Front I can adjust out, but the rear just wont work. I've got an Ohlins remote reservoir shock, standard linkage, and a 90 (9.0) spring. Ohlins assure me I should use a 95 (9.5) but we took that out as it was just ridiculously hard.

I am really frustrated, and not sure what to do. Another racer told me the major teams back in 2008 were junking the linkage... anyone got any knowledge on this? I've had static sag and initial set up by one of UK's top suspension guys and it's just unrideable. Even he said it's way stiff than the Triumphs, Honda, Yamahas and Suzukis.

Anyone who knows about this? Please help!

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Im not a racer, But Id look into the linkage, Changing the ratio should make a difference.
Good or bad I cant say.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've got a P8F 2008 race bike, and I can't get it to handle. It's SO stiff. Main problem is the rear. Front I can adjust out, but the rear just wont work. I've got an Ohlins remote reservoir shock, standard linkage, and a 90 (9.0) spring. Ohlins assure me I should use a 95 (9.5) but we took that out as it was just ridiculously hard.

I am really frustrated, and not sure what to do. Another racer told me the major teams back in 2008 were junking the linkage... anyone got any knowledge on this? I've had static sag and initial set up by one of UK's top suspension guys and it's just unrideable. Even he said it's way stiff than the Triumphs, Honda, Yamahas and Suzukis.

How Much Do U weigh ?? 2- almost 99% if u just leave it as is with out changing it it works wonderful
3 a little more info on what exactly u want to do and what have u don to the Bike ????

I have heard this over and over again almost every one who masses around with the ( suspension ) gets unsatisfied results there are racers out there who know how much exactly how much they need and they do it for certain tracks not all the time

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Have you tried to set rider sag, this should be about 25-30mm for the track on the rear. If you can't get this in without being at the extreme end of the preload then your going to need a stiffer (or softer) spring.

Also in what way is it unrideable ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
yep, static bike sag should be about 10mm then when you sit on the bike the rear should dip about 25-30mm. What is the bike doing to not handle. Did you get a set up sheet for your bike stating stock settings for the shock?

Kawasaki's historically have been better on WP rather than Ohilins.

Do you have a standard shock you can put in it to try so you can see if its better.

·
Registered
85 Posts

The very fact that you are asking this question with such little detail lends myself to believe that you are wasting your time mucking around with suspension. Clearly you know very little about what actually is good handling and the process to obtain it. I suggest that you go back to the recommended 'stock' settings from Ohlins and learn to ride the bike 'as is' first. After you have done this you will re-read your post and laugh at yourself...I assure you :O

Do yourself a favor and read "Twist of the wrist II" and you will forget all about the ill perceived 'unridable' condition of the suspension on the motorcycle you own. There are many factors to consider when it come to suspension and the 'correct' setting; with this in mind, you will unlikely be able to get a decent setting from a forum.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The very fact that you are asking this question with such little detail lends myself to believe that you are wasting your time mucking around with suspension. Clearly you know very little about what actually is good handling and the process to obtain it. I suggest that you go back to the recommended 'stock' settings from Ohlins and learn to ride the bike 'as is' first. After you have done this you will re-read your post and laugh at yourself...I assure you :O

Do yourself a favor and read "Twist of the wrist II" and you will forget all about the ill perceived 'unridable' condition of the suspension on the motorcycle you own. There are many factors to consider when it come to suspension and the 'correct' setting; with this in mind, you will unlikely be able to get a decent setting from a forum.
As honest and dick of an answer, i would agree. U need to be more specific as to what's stiff, where, and when?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
+1

·
Registered
739 Posts
As honest and dick of an answer, i would agree. U need to be more specific as to what's stiff, where, and when?
I wouldn't call that a dick answer. A recent sport rider article hit this topic pretty well by saying "one man's ideal setup can be another man's mid-evil torture device" or something like that. If you think you may have legitimate binding in the rear than by all means address that. As far as setup i'm a fat fuck so have no suggestions...lol

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
aah the real track junkies have spoken,
I need to get to know some of you guys.
As I want to make Joan as fit & trim as one could expect from a road going motorcycle(note I did not say track) yeah a road/street bike.
My preferred riding venue is the low traffic & seldom patrolled, smooth blue highways of TN.
I ride aggressively, Not as fast as some of you I'm sure,
But still a well set up bike is easier to go fast on. Confidence inspiring if you will.

My apologies to the OP, for the jacking, Just wanted to take this opportunity to alert a few of you,....
volcom415
biggles08
rattyzx6
Steve636

You may start to recive annoying PM's from one oldninjadude.
Friendship request as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Benedict, i was at Brands at the weekend. i can't recall seeing you but i was busy spannering for my mate.

Can you describe what makes you think the bike is mishandling, what it is doing and at which point on the circuit. What you are interpreting might just be down to you and the way you are riding. I get the impression you are very new to racing and might be a mid pack runner. In my experience this will mean you are very aggressive with the throttle causing the bike to buck and weave whereas a quicker rider will be smoother.

What lap times were you doing.

Remember to take any criticism in a constructive way.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you are at the racetrack, why aren't you paying the $60 for a suspension tech to work with you throughout the day to adjust your suspension? Obviously you don't know where to start... jeesh

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you are at the racetrack, why aren't you paying the $60 for a suspension tech to work with you throughout the day to adjust your suspension? Obviously you don't know where to start... jeesh
Because you don't get this at a race day at this level of racing, only at track days over here.

Fair play to you Benedict for asking for help though. Make a note of the setting the shock is set to at the moment so you have a reference point. then re-set the sag to get the preload set. Then set the compression damping and finally the rebound damping.

You might be better off doing a trackday and spend the day working on set up. If you do a day with No Limits you will find 100% suspension there. it will be well worth the £45 to get Colin to help set the bike up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You might be better off doing a trackday and spend the day working on set up. If you do a day with No Limits you will find 100% suspension there. it will be well worth the £45 to get Colin to help set the bike up.
^^^Best answer^^^

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Ok this is from my Book i will offer it to u maybe it helps u out (( I NEVER USED THIS SETTINGS --- USE AT UR OWN RISK )))

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Here is the rest

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to some of you for the useful comments. Let me just clarify:
I'm not a bad rider. I've been racing a few years, and I currently hold several lap records at tracks around UK. I've ridden a variety of bikes, in a variety of configurations, with a variety of suspension. I've had a few bikes on Ohlins and had no problem.

Also, i've had Steve Jordan (an Ohlins suspension tech) set the bike up for me (which yes I paid for), and I've also had 100% suspension look at it. Both have been baffled, that the set up is correct according to Ohlins specs, but when you look at how the bike has only about 10mm travel on the rear, there is something not right.

I've checked in with a couple of other racers on ZX6Rs, and none have Ohlins. But their definitely feel far better than mine. Anyone got experience of racing on other shocks? I've had a go on one with a Nitron rear which is miles better than mine currently.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks to some of you for the useful comments. Let me just clarify:
I'm not a bad rider. I've been racing a few years, and I currently hold several lap records at tracks around UK. I've ridden a variety of bikes, in a variety of configurations, with a variety of suspension. I've had a few bikes on Ohlins and had no problem.

Also, i've had Steve Jordan (an Ohlins suspension tech) set the bike up for me (which yes I paid for), and I've also had 100% suspension look at it. Both have been baffled, that the set up is correct according to Ohlins specs, but when you look at how the bike has only about 10mm travel on the rear, there is something not right.

I've checked in with a couple of other racers on ZX6Rs, and none have Ohlins. But their definitely feel far better than mine. Anyone got experience of racing on other shocks? I've had a go on one with a Nitron rear which is miles better than mine currently.
So are you suggesting the Ohlins shock is the problem then? Whats your question? I thought you were asking about linkages in the OP? Can't see how you expect to get any answers here with the info you have provided...strange considering your a UK lap record holder that you are asking "whats wrong with my suspension? Its only got 10mm travel!" You have had x2 suspension technicians look at your set up and both have been baffled so you come here expecting answers!? Something smells of BS. Sorry...I call it as I see it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts