Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i havent used my bike much since ive had it, and the only way for me to start it now is to bump it, which is a mega pain, even when ive been out on it for a while. embarassing when i go and get fuel :banghead

i dont know much about bikes, but when i turn the ignition on theres lights on, and when you press the start button sometimes it will "tick tick" but sometimes nothing

so is it me battery? if so where best place to get one?

cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like your battery is knackered - you could try taking it off and charging it, although if it has been left in a flattened state for a long time the cells in the battery will probably be damaged.

Best option is to go for a new battery, various places on the web vary from £30 - £45, different brands etc, although most EOM products are made by Yuasa, they are a good quality battery at reasonable price.

If you need one quickly go to your nearest bike dealer - they are sure to have one.

Might be worth checking that your bike is charging the battery properly if a new one has the same problems, although from what you say this is unlikely to be the cause......

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep, your battery is most likely flat. It takes way less juice to operate the headlight than it does to spin the motor over. Yuasa makes good batteries, but like all batteries they generally don't come fully charged and your bike won't re-charge a low battery very well (its designed to keep them from going flat, but not to recharge an already flat one). So when you buy a new battery stick it on a low-amperage charger for a while before you install it. I really like the 800mA battery tender (lower amperage causes less sulfation in the battery and means your battery will last longer).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's actually not true for most bikes (nin6 included). It is true of cages with alternators, but on bikes with stators, the charging system puts out its max all the time and the extra current is shunted to ground by the regulator, so oddly enough riding with a bad battery that is drawing too much current will actually put less strain on the regulator and make no difference to anything else.

Still, riding with a bad battery is rather silly as you never know when you'll get stranded:coocoo

·
Registered
72 Posts
I left my bike sitting for about 3 weeks and the battery went flat. My battery was fine it was the alarm that was draining it.

Got an optimate fitted and it has been fine since:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go to Halfords, get a trickle charger and leave it permanently connected to the battery when you're not using it.
I go back to Newcastle every 6 months, get in my car and it starts like I was using it the day before.
The trickle charger looks like a cell/mobile phone charger and keeps the battery charged and in condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new yuasa battery, **chick chick, vroom vroom** first time after over a month

first time everytime now :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts