Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I went for a ride today and noticed that my back tire was punctured by a wire about as thick as a paper clip. Would anyone trust or has done a patch or plug on a motorcycle tire. Or should I replace with a new rear tire? This sucks as there is plenty of tread left on the tire.:unhappy:

Moderator please move thread to correct category thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
nope replace it, it's not worth it. It sucks but better safe than sorry. i had a rear tire that was about 400 miles new...got a nail in it...swapped it out.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i have what you call a patch and plug on mine been there for the last couple 1000 miles its on my zx10 hit speed way over 100...no problems....just patch it and get your moneys worth out of that tire...

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
If you're NOT planning on riding 100+ mph all the time and/or take it on a track, a plug should be ok. Also depends on where it was punctured. If it's NOT on the sidewall, you should be ok. The better route is to take the tire off, and have it patched from the inside.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
should be ok?! Not something i'd like to mess around with. It sucks when you have plenty of life left in a tire but more plugs aren't designed to help you continue riding out the life of a tire. They are for allowing your tire to hold air then get to a shop and have it replaced. If you can make it last 4k miles then good for you and you were fortunate, not everyone will have the same luck

Regular cars can do a plug and continue because the risk factor is a lot lower and it's a whole different animal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
pretty much what who' said..

Relax buddy and save your cash.
I routinely get nails and screws in my tires due to the amount of debris on the motorway. (I do a round trip of 82km to work daily).

I carry one of those kits with the sticky rope plugs and the tools to jam them in the tire.

My current tires have only been on a bit more than a month and I've already got 3 plugs in the rear one. (i use the dunlop sportmax Q2's, btw)

The last set had 6 or 7 plugs in the rear including one that needed 2 plugs inserted into the same hole. That was from a large roofing screw dropped by some careless so-and-so.

Curiously, I've never had anything puncture the front one :O

Like I said, I do 80+km round trip daily and most of it is done sitting on 110 - 120 km/h. I've had no problems.

I also like to blast through the mountains on weekends and tend to open up the gas a bit on the quiet backroads. Never had a problem with the tires.

The only problem is sometimes the plug will start to leak.
In that case you can just stick a new plug in it.

Always check your tire pressures at least once a week.
Even if they've never been patched/plugged.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
@ pegleg

-- :lol: I've had two plugs in the same tire before, but not 3 (knock on wood), and definitely NOT two plug in the same hole :dowhat

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out the Matt Mladin rear tyre blowout video around 2003. I'd replace the tyre.

gammac
I totally agree you should not be using a plugged tire on the track.
That would be nuts because you're trying to use the full potential...

I'm saying, in my personal experience, that I haven't had any problems with street riding. But that is a whole different ballgame to being on a track and going for it.
Going up to 140 - 150KM/H is not going to put as much stress and heat into the tire as going 220+ KM/H. And I'm talking short burts of the high speed, not the equivalent of 20 or so laps at that speed.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to what you're comfortable doing :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
@ pegleg

-- :lol: I've had two plugs in the same tire before, but not 3 (knock on wood), and definitely NOT two plug in the same hole :dowhat

2 plugs in the same hole is not good, but sometimes you have to do something to get out of a jam. :suspect:

I did a 2500km round trip on that tire. There was no problem but i did keep to the speed limits and rode with that in the back of my mind the whole way.
Definately not recommended -but we did make the trip and home safely.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Ive got about 1500 miles on a plugged rear tire. (Street riding only)
So I say plug it and forget it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I NEVER ride with a damaged tire. I once got a nail on a new Pirelli with about 400 miles. I plugged it just so I could get home and hooked it up to a mini air compressor I carry on my bike. Next day I ordered a new rear. I'd say a few hundred bucks isn't worth your life. Then again, that's my 2 cents.

I have some friends that get their tires plugged/patched and they seem to hold up alright on the highway, but then again you never know when shit will hit the fan. Replace it if you can.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it's in the centre third of the tyre then it's ok to get it plugged , but get it done by a shop who will plug it from the inside. Anywhere else on the the tyre the get it replaced.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'd replace... not worth chancing it, there very well may be 10 (or 100) people who never had a problem, but imho it's not worth the risk of riding on a potentially dangerous tire...

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'd replace... not worth chancing it, there very well may be 10 (or 100) people who never had a problem, but imho it's not worth the risk of riding on a potentially dangerous tire...

just my 2 cents
So true, and that's what happens to some people. So many stories of others who had no issues so you do it, then you become that one statistic. The plug was fine and holding up till I got on the on ramp one day, I was going 65ish and the tire gave out and laid her down sliding for 74 feet and bike got hit and caused a 5 car pile up. Guess who will be to blame and have to pay for it....:glare:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts