Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright bike has 25,800 miles on it (yes I know a lot) I am not sure when the last tune up was done and I am doing all my maintenance myself here. First off is just the overall idling issue.

Bike idles at 15-1700rpms but it is not consistent at all. More along the lines of continuous thumping growl. Is that a basic spark plug, airfilter, and coolant change or is this so so called "valve adjustment?" I will try to post a video but just some insight would be awesome!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does it get smoother as bike comes up to temp? Checking your plugs/ air filter is a good idea for sure, you probably do need a valve adjustment though. 28,500 isn't necessarily a lot of miles but if they haven't been done, then I'd say that is a long time without adjustment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it get smoother as bike comes up to temp? Checking your plugs/ air filter is a good idea for sure, you probably do need a valve adjustment though. 28,500 isn't necessarily a lot of miles but if they haven't been done, then I'd say that is a long time without adjustment.

yes it does get smoother as the bike comes up to temp but it still does not go away. its a constant bur,bur,bur,bur,bur etc.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Have the valves been checked? Ever?

If they haven't.... I would do that before anything else. You'll replace the spark plugs while you're in there. And you can sync the throttle bodies after the valve adjustment.

Willing to bet that your idle has a lot to do with valves and sync out of whack.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My '07 had similar symptoms at 45k, when it was due for its second, or third adjustment. It had been "done" at 29k, but many of the valves were super-tight, enough to assume that the previous adjustment was a mere check, without actually making the changes to insure optimum valve clearance. After the service, idle is super smooth. I did plugs, valves, air filter, throttle body sync and had the coolant changed. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
14,202 Posts
Alright bike has 25,800 miles on it (yes I know a lot) I am not sure when the last tune up was done and I am doing all my maintenance myself here. First off is just the overall idling issue.

Bike idles at 15-1700rpms but it is not consistent at all. More along the lines of continuous thumping growl. Is that a basic spark plug, airfilter, and coolant change or is this so so called "valve adjustment?" I will try to post a video but just some insight would be awesome!
26K on a 13 year old bike is nothing. 2K/yr average.... that thing isn't anywhere near done.

Yes, it needs a tune up.

Yes you could do it yourself for a lot less than it would cost to have a professional do it...... the pro would give confidence that it is done right, and some responsibility for the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts