Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Do I go a 42 or 43

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  chadface636 
#1 ·
Thinking of putting a larger sprocket size on my rear wheel of my 99zx6r but unsure if I should go +2 or +3. How much more will it rev at 100kph (60mph) if I go a +3? Just concerned for my longer touring trips.
Im more thinking of +2 to give a happy medium of improved exaleration but not vibing to much when cruising at 100/110kph.BUT will +2 be noticable at all in exaleration, if not I'll go the +3.
Anyone played with their sprocket sizes? any info would be great.
Cheers
Glenn

#3 ·
-1 and +2

i v got -1 in the front and +2 at the back.. and m lovin it:hail ... Pop's a wheelie with ease and has increased my pick up!:devious

try doin this! basically ur gonna play arnd with the number of teeths in the front and the rear.. it like the more u add on the rear the better acceleration but u might lose quite a considerable amt of ur top end :coocoo

so u know its left for u to decide :confused

Street Style or the Highway!!:O

#5 ·
i v got -1 in the front and +2 at the back.. and m lovin it:hail ... Pop's a wheelie with ease and has increased my pick up!:devious

try doin this! basically ur gonna play arnd with the number of teeths in the front and the rear.. it like the more u add on the rear the better acceleration but u might lose quite a considerable amt of ur top end :coocoo

so u know its left for u to decide :confused

Street Style or the Highway!!:O
Yeh Ive read thats a great set up on a 6 for around the twisties and poppin wheelies

#7 ·
Just remember, going down 1 tooth in the front is equal to going up 2 teeth in the back. However, the front sprockets get small really quick and that can cause serious wear on a chain.

Going up 2 teeth is a pretty big move, I would do no more than that for starters.

#10 ·
It would be significant, but I am not sure how much exactly. -1/+2 is ALOT of gearing change and will raise your interstate RPMS very considerably and will cut a decent amount of top end also. If you are a stunter it would be good, but the all around rider probably not so much.

You can get a Speedo Healer to fix that though.

#11 ·
If someone posts up the stock front & rear teeth I'll do the math for % change.

#13 ·
I have an 06 636. I am trying to improve my bottom end for straight line action. This is my first upgrade and I need to know what changes in chain and sprocket would be most beneficial. I plan to add a power commander and exhaust, but I am still in school and have a limited budget. Any info would be helpful.

#16 ·
Think about your 10 speed bicycle. If the chain is on the larger front gear then the gearing is taller, if It's on the smaller front gear the gearing is shorter. On the back sprocket, the largest gear is the shortest gear ratio, while the smallest gear is the tallest.

You can make the gearing "shorter" by putting a smaller front sprocket or larger rear sprocket. A combination of both can really get her geared low for some serious power wheelies.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my little 130 lb arse can't keep the front wheel down in first anyway. I think I could sit on the handle bars and still powerwheelie in first!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.