Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 brand new MSRP was 12k or so, but with the new ABS model at 11k does that drop the value of the 13-18 zx6r?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
I bought my 2013 brand new MSRP was 12k or so, but with the new ABS model at 11k does that drop the value of the 13-18 zx6r?

I don’t think that’s the case. IMO The 13-18 Zx6r still holds its value relative to what is was before the price of the 19 was released. You’re in NY where bikes are more $ anyway so you’re good lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was wondering about this as well. I was told by a stealership that it did drop the value, but I figured they say that for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sportbikes depreciate so quickly that I don’t think it matters. After 2+ years the bike is already worth half retail practically

·
Director of Moderation
9,840 Posts
Sportbikes depreciate so quickly that I don’t think it matters. After 2+ years the bike is already worth half retail practically
Tell that the all the guys selling 2017 R6's with a few bolt-ons and are asking like $12k for them :coocoo

·
Registered
12,914 Posts

Your 6 year old bike is worth whatever you're willing to sell it for. No more, no less. My '09 with 52K miles isn't going to ever sell for what it is worth to me.

It's paid for, and I know the mechanic who maintains it personally. He works pretty cheap:BigGrin

Don't waste your time worrying about intangibles. If you're looking to sell, or looking to trade it in you'll be disappointed in what you'll be offered.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Tell that the all the guys selling 2017 R6's with a few bolt-ons and are asking like $12k for them :coocoo
Yeah ... but that’s an :hail: R6! :wink I remember when I bought my zx6r I was surprised at how much more expensive an equivalent model year R6 or CBR600 was.... I thought the zx6r was the 600cc - class sport bike with the best value available at the time (least expensive when new).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don’t think that’s the case. IMO The 13-18 Zx6r still holds its value relative to what is was before the price of the 19 was released.
There is no way that a newer, cheaper model doesn't affect the price of used bikes.

They may be asking that, but the real question is what are they actually selling for?

Your 6 year old bike is worth whatever you're willing to sell it for. No more, no less.
I would say it is worth what someone will pay for it, nothing more. It may be worth more than that to you, but the market will not necessarily agree with your valuation. I agree OP should not worry about it and just go enjoy his bike.

Mark

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,315 Posts

Yeah. Prior generations become a touch cheaper because there's less demand. I don't think it affect 13-18 as much as 09-12...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Lol yeah people think R6 and R6 parts are made of gold. It’s hilarious. I kinda like the undervalued zx6r market. You get so much more per $.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lol yeah people think R6 and R6 parts are made of gold. It’s hilarious. I kinda like the undervalued zx6r market. You get so much more per $.
I said this before...bang for buck, the ZX6 (even the 07-08, but especially the 09-12) is the best platform on the market. Extremely capable platform. Jason Farrell (Farrell Performance), who has held multiple lap records on both ZX6's and ZX10's, told me it took him 2 years on the '13+ platform to dial it in enough to beat his PB's on his 2012 bike. Even then, it wasn't some ground breaking increase (A tenth or hundredth of a second). Lets be real, anyone lapping within 5 seconds of a lap record is flying to begin with...let alone if you're the one that set the record to begin with. :hail:

Like any platform, it's got it's quirks, but any bike has that. A good friend of mine from the endurance team was livid when at one of the endurance races last year, couldn't beat his lap time on his personal R6 that he set riding the ZX6 endurance bike.... :lol:

·
Director of Moderation
9,840 Posts
Yeah ... but that’s an :hail: R6! :wink I remember when I bought my zx6r I was surprised at how much more expensive an equivalent model year R6 or CBR600 was.... I thought the zx6r was the 600cc - class sport bike with the best value available at the time (least expensive when new).
I know right?! I don't get it. I'm still seeing like 9-10 year old R6 race bikes for sale and people are asking around $7000-9000 for them and they're nothing special, mostly just bolt-ons. I bought my '09 ZX6R in '16 which had low miles on and over $8000 worth of aftermarket parts on it for only $4000.

Engines...I see supersport R6 engines for sale for like $2500 or more and owners claiming only about 122-125 hp. Nothing spectacular, since it's a SS. I sold my ZX6R engine for $700 (granted it was stock, but still...) and even that took like 5-6 months to sell.

I agree that the ZX6R is the best bang for the buck in the 600 class. The GSXR might be about the same or slightly cheaper, but then you also lose a lot of respect from people for being a GSXR owner :devilish

·
Director of Moderation
9,840 Posts
I said this before...bang for buck, the ZX6 (even the 07-08, but especially the 09-12) is the best platform on the market. Extremely capable platform. Jason Farrell (Farrell Performance), who has held multiple lap records on both ZX6's and ZX10's, told me it took him 2 years on the '13+ platform to dial it in enough to beat his PB's on his 2012 bike. Even then, it wasn't some ground breaking increase (A tenth or hundredth of a second). Lets be real, anyone lapping within 5 seconds of a lap record is flying to begin with...let alone if you're the one that set the record to begin with. :hail:

Like any platform, it's got it's quirks, but any bike has that. A good friend of mine from the endurance team was livid when at one of the endurance races last year, couldn't beat his lap time on his personal R6 that he set riding the ZX6 endurance bike.... :lol:
I know I'm about to get called a bitch, but I'm gonna say it anyway. The thing that appeals to me about the newer ZX6Rs and newer R6s is simply the TC and whatever other electronic aids they come with. I'm paranoid of high sides, and having TC eliminates this mental block I have of getting on the gas hard coming out of turns. I had it on my old Ducati which was a torque monster, twice the torque of a 600, and it was awesome to be able to smash on the throttle out of turns and let the TC do its thing.

That's the only reason I don't really want to get another '09-'12 gen ZX6 or an R6 older than 2017. But all the newer R6s and ZX6R's are still too expensive.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sounds like someone is being a baby backed biiitttttccccccc-.....

I stopped myself! :D

But for real, you're not alone on that. Nobody wants to go out and high side themselves to the moon. The electronics on the 600's (any brand) aren't at the level of the big bikes. The R1...man, traction control, slide control...that adjusts with the lean angle of the bike, wheelie control...that's the bees knees. And I still see a lot of rear tire related crashes on those...call it rider error, or bike settings error...crashing is crashing.

The stuff on the new 600's is just meh at best, so I'm just left with "What am I really gaining?" Better than nothing, hell yeah, but it's far from a fail safe. I would almost argue that having it would provide a false sense of security unless it's a truly advanced setup (The Panigale V4S has some electronics that are straight up legit!)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sounds like someone is being a baby backed biiitttttccccccc-.....

I stopped myself! :D

But for real, you're not alone on that. Nobody wants to go out and high side themselves to the moon. The electronics on the 600's (any brand) aren't at the level of the big bikes. The R1...man, traction control, slide control...that adjusts with the lean angle of the bike, wheelie control...that's the bees knees. And I still see a lot of rear tire related crashes on those...call it rider error, or bike settings error...crashing is crashing.

The stuff on the new 600's is just meh at best, so I'm just left with "What am I really gaining?" Better than nothing, hell yeah, but it's far from a fail safe. I would almost argue that having it would provide a false sense of security unless it's a truly advanced setup (The Panigale V4S has some electronics that are straight up legit!)

Good information here, thanks for sharing that. How does the TC on the new bikes compare to a Bazzaz TC you think? I have it on my gsxr 750 track bike. It set up on the dyno by Anthony at Bauce but I don’t remember what it entailed.
I’ve never felt it kick in, and I’m not sure I want to...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I know I'm about to get called a bitch, but I'm gonna say it anyway. The thing that appeals to me about the newer ZX6Rs and newer R6s is simply the TC and whatever other electronic aids they come with. I'm paranoid of high sides, and having TC eliminates this mental block I have of getting on the gas hard coming out of turns. I had it on my old Ducati which was a torque monster, twice the torque of a 600, and it was awesome to be able to smash on the throttle out of turns and let the TC do its thing.

That's the only reason I don't really want to get another '09-'12 gen ZX6 or an R6 older than 2017. But all the newer R6s and ZX6R's are still too expensive.
I disabled my TC. It’s way too intrusive to go fast tbh ..... I do want to edit the maps eventually

·
Director of Moderation
9,840 Posts
I disabled my TC. It’s way too intrusive to go fast tbh ..... I do want to edit the maps eventually
Even on the lowest setting?? You can actually feel it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good information here, thanks for sharing that. How does the TC on the new bikes compare to a Bazzaz TC you think? I have it on my gsxr 750 track bike. It set up on the dyno by Anthony at Bauce but I don’t remember what it entailed.
I’ve never felt it kick in, and I’m not sure I want to...

I have yet to see an aftermarket TC setup that I've been impressed with (Including Bazzaz). It is pretty old tech and like Gawernator said, there's a point where it's more detrimental than helpful. That being said, I still believe the factory integrated stuff is a better than the aftermarket stuff. Like anything else, this is largely subjective as everyone has different needs. I would argue there are 2 categories of riders:

1) Those that like the technology to assist them in going as fast as possible (Gawernator and I are in this)
2) Those that just enjoy riding (street/track days) and any kind of additional safety net that would help prevent a crash.

At the end of the day, people in the first category will sacrifice that safety net 99.9% of the time if we find it being too intrusive. The more crude systems can also harshly cut or alter the power delivery - so you go out and race, have pretty good lean angle, then the TC kicks in and upsets the chassis and completely messes up your corner exit drive.

I wouldn't say what's out there is bad, there is just a lot of room left for refinement. What makes the systems like the R1 work so damn good is that it takes in all the data on the bike - throttle position, lean angle, front wheel speed, rear wheel speed, RPM, etc to figure out exactly how much/little intervention to give, where as the Bazzaz just has that little dial (1-8 or something like that) and goes off just RPM or a rear wheel speed/RPM combo

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Even on the lowest setting?? You can actually feel it?
Oh yeah man. For a while I didn’t really know. It was even cutting power a little bit coming out of the pits not letting me wheelie as easily. My exhaust isn’t that loud so I couldn’t tell as much, but from friends riding around me they could tell the TC was really lighting up, and I can see it on the dash if I’m looking too. I think I would want setting 1 at like 40% sensitivity probably. I have the woolich Racing full package but I don’t know how to edit the maps ..

·
Director of Moderation
9,840 Posts
I have yet to see an aftermarket TC setup that I've been impressed with (Including Bazzaz). It is pretty old tech and like Gawernator said, there's a point where it's more detrimental than helpful. That being said, I still believe the factory integrated stuff is a better than the aftermarket stuff. Like anything else, this is largely subjective as everyone has different needs. I would argue there are 2 categories of riders:

1) Those that like the technology to assist them in going as fast as possible (Gawernator and I are in this)
2) Those that just enjoy riding (street/track days) and any kind of additional safety net that would help prevent a crash.

At the end of the day, people in the first category will sacrifice that safety net 99.9% of the time if we find it being too intrusive. The more crude systems can also harshly cut or alter the power delivery - so you go out and race, have pretty good lean angle, then the TC kicks in and upsets the chassis and completely messes up your corner exit drive.

I wouldn't say what's out there is bad, there is just a lot of room left for refinement. What makes the systems like the R1 work so damn good is that it takes in all the data on the bike - throttle position, lean angle, front wheel speed, rear wheel speed, RPM, etc to figure out exactly how much/little intervention to give, where as the Bazzaz just has that little dial (1-8 or something like that) and goes off just RPM or a rear wheel speed/RPM combo
Years ago I did a lot of reading on the Bazzaz system and I concluded their TC is garbage. I don't recall all the details of how it works but it seemed pretty primitive, something about change in RPM, nothing with wheel sensors.

The Nemesis TC system I had on my Ducati was top notch though. There was a reason it retailed for $2500 not $600-700 or whatever the Bazzaz was. It had sensors on the wheels it worked by measuring the change in the rear wheel speed relative to the front, while also taking the lean angle into consideration, that way you could still do a wheelie, but when you were at full lean it would kick in when you got on the gas really hard. It had 8 settings, but realistically for a racer settings 1 or 2 were about all that was needed. In the rain maybe you'd want to go up to like 4-5, but I never tried that. Of course that system was developed at least 10 years ago. At the time it was the best system available for people to buy, and there weren't any OEM systems except for the ones used in MotoGP and WSBK, not available to the rest of us. Nowadays, all the modern liter bikes come with better and more refined systems.

I do remember one track day where I forgot to check my belly pan and it was full of water from the night before, and the first session in the morning, the first turn I hit (fast one, about 80 mph turn), the water poured all over the rear tire and it went sideways on me. TC light up like a christmas tree and I'm 100% confident that if it wasn't for it, I would've highsided to the moon! lol Kept me in check though, just a butt-pucker moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts