Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/251681212084

The above link is a cheap disk lock from eBay.

My question is although these things are mainly a deterrent, would it be best getting an expensive 'top o the line' one? Or would these cheap ones on eBay do the trick just as well?

I'm guessing it comes down to how long they last quality wise.

I have a big bad chain for home security inside a locked garage. This would just be for outside the pub or shops or beach or water park etc...

Attached pic is lock on eBay link for viewing purposes.

Thanks, I'm new here.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Any convenience lock like this have limited effect.......

They help keep the joy rides at a minimum, serious crooks will pick up the whole bike and toss it in a van.

Cheap or expensive, the deterrence is the same.

·
Registered
971 Posts

I bought this not too long ago. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's very heavy duty and the alarm works flawlessly. It's a bit pricy but the piece of mind makes it worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Each deterrent is just a level, as stated above. Sadly, what you're really trying to do is make YOUR bike LESS attractive to a thief...which, relatively, makes someone else's bike MORE attractive. Disc locks reduce a pretty good percentage of thefts, because not all thieves drive around in teams with trucks and pick-up tools. The minor alarm on them is really of no moment to the professional thief, because they know ALMOST NOBODY pays attention to alarms.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Disc locks don't do much for the determined thief that your steering lock doesn't do already. It might prevent a solo thief from rolling your bike down the street to a darker area to put it into a vehicle, so it definitely does provide some deterrent, but most thieves will just lift it up and put it into a van on the spot.

If you do go with a disc lock, something cheap will be fine. Because I'm pretty certain any thief that's going to see your forks are locked and that you got a disc lock, is just going to opt to pick it up instead of sitting there breaking the fork lock and cutting the disc lock.

If you do splurge, I would go with the alarm one.

Here's a very good article from Ride Apart regarding what thieves have to say about bike security.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Depends on how determined a thief is. I think a motorcycle cover and disk lock is most effective, unless they're working with a team.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Each deterrent is just a level, as stated above. Sadly, what you're really trying to do is make YOUR bike LESS attractive to a thief...which, relatively, makes someone else's bike MORE attractive. Disc locks reduce a pretty good percentage of thefts, because not all thieves drive around in teams with trucks and pick-up tools. The minor alarm on them is really of no moment to the professional thief, because they know ALMOST NOBODY pays attention to alarms.
Cheers mate, it looks like one on each wheel is the way to go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disc locks don't do much for the determined thief that your steering lock doesn't do already. It might prevent a solo thief from rolling your bike down the street to a darker area to put it into a vehicle, so it definitely does provide some deterrent, but most thieves will just lift it up and put it into a van on the spot.

If you do go with a disc lock, something cheap will be fine. Because I'm pretty certain any thief that's going to see your forks are locked and that you got a disc lock, is just going to opt to pick it up instead of sitting there breaking the fork lock and cutting the disc lock.

If you do splurge, I would go with the alarm one.

Here's a very good article from Ride Apart regarding what thieves have to say about bike security.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief
Thanks for the link! I've read it before but it was copy/pasted somewhere else and not all there. It has a lot of good points!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on how determined a thief is. I think a motorcycle cover and disk lock is most effective, unless they're working with a team.
The cover combined with the locks are the way to go. Leaving the bike in a open area in view of the public would help too I hope! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I wonder if manufacturers will start to incorporate alarms into the electronics. I mean couldn't the multi axis Bosch system be used to detect movement if the ignition off or would it be too power hungry?

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Even the tip over switch could be monitored, and alarmed. I'm sure it's simply a cost measure..... anything is possible, for enough money.

Setting it up so it reports to someone a la OnStar would be relatively simple in this day and age. Personally, I don't want big brother that far into my systems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any convenience lock like this have limited effect.......

They help keep the joy rides at a minimum, serious crooks will pick up the whole bike and toss it in a van.

Cheap or expensive, the deterrence is the same.
Yes, keep those joyriders away!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if manufacturers will start to incorporate alarms into the electronics. I mean couldn't the multi axis Bosch system be used to detect movement if the ignition off or would it be too power hungry?
I'd like to think we'll see this in future, not to hard to incorporate into the electrical system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even the tip over switch could be monitored, and alarmed. I'm sure it's simply a cost measure..... anything is possible, for enough money.

Setting it up so it reports to someone a la OnStar would be relatively simple in this day and age. Personally, I don't want big brother that far into my systems.
Yeh we could get all high tech but I'm thinking going for a number of different items to slow down the crooks would suit me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I bought this not too long ago. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's very heavy duty and the alarm works flawlessly. It's a bit pricy but the piece of mind makes it worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one is definitely up there in terms of price. It looks like it would last though.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I think I'll be investing in a disk lock that is loud as hell. Like the article said, the idea is for your bike to not be low hanging fruit.

Reactions: HIGHDEFMOTO

·
Registered
773 Posts
Xena XX-14 Disc Lock with Alarm - Motorcycle Superstore

I've got that on my front brake disc. It's annoyingly loud. No false alarms since I've picked it up. It's sensitive enough, that I accidentally sent it off jostling the bars with that steering lock engaged. Maybe half and inch of movement or so? It survived a few rainstorms, before I got my cover. Pretty solid piece. If it doesn't deter the thieves, you can always assault them with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts