Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a fender eliminator kit on my 2012 ZX6R from Targa. I wired everything correctly according to the schematics. Everything works fine, except my left blinker is very, very, VERY dim and hardly flashes. My right blinker works fine. I hear the relay etc when it clicks on. During troubleshooting I found that the left LED is fine. I swapped the adapters around and swapped the wires around and found that the left light worked while the right one didn't. How can I make both lights normal? Seems like only one can be normal while the other is super dim. I've read through several topics on here and read about resistors and relays. Would a relay fix the issue, or would I need resistors in this case? Pictures should be attached to the post.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe something is faulty with the LED they sent you? Usually, led blinkers work fine with OEM relays, only thing that is affected is flash rate...?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
either the LED is bad or try swaping the wires (+ to -, - to +, on the turnsignal only) u have connected to the left side and see what happens.

LED's hardly have any current draw so 99% chance its not the relays fault

·
Registered
62 Posts
either the LED is bad or try swaping the wires (+ to -, - to +, on the turnsignal only) u have connected to the left side and see what happens.

LED's hardly have any current draw so 99% chance its not the relays fault
LEDs are diodes, (they only let current through one way) if it was working dimly on one polar configuration, then that would suggest current was passing through,so if you changed the wires around, it wouldn't work at all. Not 100% sure on this though, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
led relay SHOULD fix the problem. they do the same thing as resistors

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Could be a cold solder joint in the assmbly somewhere or a bad component. Call the people you got it from and ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So the light is fine when you swapped them. So it's gotta be a faulty connection somewhere. Trace all your left side wires back as far as you can and redo your connections.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I've already swapped everything around from right to left to rule out a faulty LED. The LED worked fine with everything swapped. I then put everything back together on the right side and checked the wiring for the left. Everything is the exact same as the right, minus where the + and - go. I also re-stripped both wires to rule out any issue there. I am going to call the company tomorrow, in the meantime I am going to get an LED relay and see if that fixes the issue. I'll post more later on if and what did/didn't work. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When i installed this kit on my bike one of my blinkers did not work properly. I dont remember if it was dim or not working at all though. Anyway it was becasue the way they tell you to wire one side is backwards. So i would switch the "+" and "-" on the one side that you have problems with and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Orange wire from the bike goes to yellow wire on the signal and Green wire on the bike goes to black wire on the signal. I have both sides wired this way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I'll try this. I think that's the only thing I didn't try. So, I'll mirror the right turn signal and hopefully it'll work. If not, then I'm going to walk around a kick pumpkins. :devious

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Berzerker thanks! I fixed it at work. Works perfectly. I owe you some beer. Haha. Thanks for everyone else's input too.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Berzerker thanks! I fixed it at work. Works perfectly. I owe you some beer. Haha. Thanks for everyone else's input too.
LOL i mentioned this in the first comment i said..?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, Magoogle, I thought you meant just to swap the whole thing from left to right to see if the wires worked, which I did. Zerker just dumbed it down for me. My brain shuts off when I see - and + cuz my math is broken. :|

1 - 16 of 16 Posts