Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to buy new tires, so is there smart to put 190 rear tire, and what is difference in ride with that tire? Everything is the same or it's wrong choice?

I have ZX6R 2005 (636) :)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
They are NOT the same. A 190 is 10 MM wider than a 180

180/55-17 means the tire is 180mm wide, the height it 55% of the width, and the diameter is 17 inches.

A 190 will cause a slower turn in rate.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Believe it or not it depends on the manufacturer. 180 is supposed to mean 180mm in width but I have found depending on the manufacturer that a 180 can really be anywhere between 175 and 185. I was running Dunlop 200 slicks this year on the track but when measured they were only like 9mm wider than a 180 Pilot Power 2CT. Usually though a 180 is built for a 5.5" rim which is what we have. The 200 I ran could be mounted on a 5.5" rim but was recommended for a 6.25" rim (1000s usually run this size). 190s are usually in the same boat. So you put a 190 that is targeted for a 6.25" rim on a 5.5" rim it will pinch it a little making it taller and narrower giving it a steeper profile. This will cause it to turn in much more quickly if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Yeah, I think I measured my 180 Supercorsas at 175 and the 180 Pilot Power 2CTs at 185. I was surprised at how much of a difference there was .

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
For track, is good 190?
The answer is the same. It depends on manufacture and your preference. I liked the 200s I was running. You turned the bike in and it stayed there. It felt like you could take your hands off the bars and it would stay at whatever angle you were at. Normally the bike has a tendency to bring itself back to upright position and you have to force it to lean over. My son on the other hand was uncomfortable with the way his bike handled with the 200s so I will probably run 190s on both of our bikes next year, or 190s on his and 200s on mine. But again, those dunlops are not actually 200mm mounted on my rims. They were closer to 194mm actual width. I would expect the 190 Dunlop slicks to run about 185mm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for answers :)

Is there any risk things with 190 or some thing where I can looking for if I put 190? Orrrr it's the same like 180? (sorry but I can't explain so good in english way) :D thx for understanding

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Let me ask you this, which exact tires are you interested in running and I can do some research (or you can do it). For example, Dunlop puts right on their site what rims the tire is designed and recommended for. For example, the tires I've been talking about:

Dunlop Racing » USA N-Tec Slicks

Fitment specs Rear: 200/55×17 KR449
Recommended Rim range (5.50-6.25), Best Rim (6.00)
Width (194mm/7.64″), Diameter (657mm/25.87″)
Available Compounds: 35D2 Soft, 7455 Medium, 8477 Med+
Suggested Pressures: Hot on the warmers 23psi, or cold 21psi

Notice they say it will "fit" on a 5.5" to 6.25" rim and they "recommend" running them on a 6" rim. I am running them on a 5.5" rim which is outside their recommendation but I happen to like the way they handle. Just check out what rim size the tire is made for and you can run them if they will work on a 5.5" rim. The rest is completely personal preference. Just remember putting a tire on a smaller rim than what it is recommended for will pinch the tire and change it's designed shape. Whether that is desirable completely depends on the individual rider. Can you run it? Yes. Is it the best? That's up to you to decide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you man :)

Im planning to buy Michelin pilot power 2ct 190, that's what Im looking for, good?

·
Registered
406 Posts

Im planning to buy Michelin pilot power 2ct 190, that's what Im looking for, good?
yea those are really good tires im switching mine next riding season to pilot pures

Reactions: NinoZX6R

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

I got a good deal on a 190 2ct that's the only reason I made the switch. I was running a dunlops before so I can't give u an accurate difference between 180 and 190 from the same manufacturer. I can tell you though that I immediately feelt my bike turn in quicker with the 190 cts.

Just try them out it's not the end of the world. The tires will mount with no problems.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts

I have run through many sets of Pilot Power 2CTs on both of my ZX6Rs and my Ninja 650. I have even run them on the track, although I will not run them on the track again because my son and I both had some very slippery moments on them on a hot day and they don't let you know they are coming. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky and crashed on them (that was on a GSXR1000 though). Also, I've never run the 190 Pilot Power 2CTs, only the 180s so I can't comment on how they feel to me vs the 180s. I like them on the street but not on the track. Some people will tell you they are fine for a Novice rider on the track but if you get to where you want to push them hard on a hot day I'm just going to warn you to be careful, especially after several laps. The Michelin guy suggested 28 psi in the rear and 30 in the front for the track if I recall (last time I ran them was in this spring).

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Take a look at this chart from Michelin and a couple of things should jump out at you:

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf

1) 180s are 5.5" rim preferred. 190s are 6" rim preferred but will work on a 5.5" rim (similar to the dunlops I use)
2) There is a chart on what each tire type is good for. The Pilot Power 2CT (and even the Pilot Pure) are almost completely in the "sport" column and just barely get into the "track" column. I'm here to tell you that looks pretty accurate.

I would not run them on the track if you would consider yourself even in the upper half of the Novice class. Again, I like them on the street and currently have them on all 3 of my bikes. I have had little slips on the street on them but nothing that really scared me.

Here's one of a couple of slips my son had on them that all but kicked him off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR3HHGqXDrE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have run through many sets of Pilot Power 2CTs on both of my ZX6Rs and my Ninja 650. I have even run them on the track, although I will not run them on the track again because my son and I both had some very slippery moments on them on a hot day and they don't let you know they are coming. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky and crashed on them (that was on a GSXR1000 though). Also, I've never run the 190 Pilot Power 2CTs, only the 180s so I can't comment on how they feel to me vs the 180s. I like them on the street but not on the track. Some people will tell you they are fine for a Novice rider on the track but if you get to where you want to push them hard on a hot day I'm just going to warn you to be careful, especially after several laps. The Michelin guy suggested 28 psi in the rear and 30 in the front for the track if I recall (last time I ran them was in this spring).
hehe now you scare me man :bored:
Now you put me to think about buying that tires...

Btw, I run (and still on bike) Dunlop Sportmax D207 very hard tire not so good for fast ride and curves, but Im still alive and I finished with them, so Michelin can't be worst than this Dunlop that I ride??? :headbang: :)

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
THIS. all of it.

I crashed because they just let go midcorner on a hot ass track day. Middle of the day as I was railing in 'I.' Perfectly fine on the street, you won't overheat them there.

For simplicity, just get a 180/55. If you care enough, read the manufactures website and see if they make a specific model for a 5.5" rim. Whether it be 180/60, 190/50, 190/55, 200/55, etc....

Also note, the bigger the tire, the more money you will spend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts