Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story,

I noticed a leak in one of my forks, figured, I need new seals. A friend of mine had all the necessary tools and previous experience (did his own and his buddy's) so we gave it a shot with surprising results. Both forks started leaking in an even spread. Here is the catch, a shop sold me seals that will fit a Honda instead of my 2006 Kawasaki ZX6-RR telling me that they will fit just fine. This time around (last night) I installed OEM seals which went very smoothly. Came back from a ride today, and I have a thin layer of oil like substance on both forks. I have no idea where the mistake is, although I do suspect we are installing the seals upside down. I want to confirm in some way. The seal has a lip on one side and is flat on the other. I am installing the seal FLAT side TOWARDS the INSIDE of the fork. Which means I can only see the lip side after the seal is already installed in the fork.

Guys, anything would help. I'm going ape shit over here. I don't want to take it to the shop unless I have to. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
You should be seeing the wire spring on top when installing it. I think you may have it reversed. And bro...anytime doing a job that involves this type of serious parts (suspension) don't play around. Get OEM seals. Always.

There's a great video I used to learn how to refresh forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P3mGatXYQo

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
numerous seals are the same. Since Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc do not make their own forks (showa, kayaba typically).....most any 43mm inverted fork seal works on most any other regardless how it is branded (Honda, yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki)...but I always always always use an oem seal

So while I always prefer to buy the exact seal that is listed on the fische for the exact bike I am working on.....if it is not available and I need it now, I have got suzuki seals for kawasakis and yamaha seals for Hondas etc and they worked just fine.
but yeah you may have them upside down---a picture would be great

But.......are you taping the end of the tube before you slide the new seal on?
Have you lightly sanded (1200 grit or finer) the fork tube after inspecting it for pits or dings?
You are installing it squarely with the correct seal driver?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
^^^^ I've jacked a few seals while using the seal driver improperly. If they aren't upside down, I'm guessing this could be the source of your leak.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the answers. Sorry about the late reply. Like suspected, the forks seals were simply installed the wrong way. I finished pulling everything apart, flipping the seals and putting everything back together and so far forks seem squeaky clean. I believe that's the solution to the problem. I wanted to make sure so I took a ride that I just got back from with heavy breaking and so on in order to put as much strain on the forks as possible and like I said, so far so good. Solution? Be extra careful when handling delicate fork components, get OEM seals and proper fork fluid. With my bike, the 2006 ZX-6RR you will find lettering on one side of the seal. That's the side that should go on top (should be visible when seal is placed inside the fork). On the other side, you will find a lip sticking out. That side should point towards the inside of the fork. I heated my forks up with a torch for a bit to mak taking the seals in and out much easier. Using the old seals to pop the new ones back in is also something I did. Putting a large socket as big as the seal on top of.the old seal will help with squeezing the new seal in. At first, lightly tap with a wrench or small hammer (Immediately after the top of the Fork is heated up). Then use your mass in order to press it in making sure that it sits all the way in so that you're able to slide the locking ring in without issues. Thank you guys again for the help. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
And bro...anytime doing a job that involves this type of serious parts (suspension) don't play around. Get OEM seals. Always.
You gave me a man-boner with that line.

Thank you for all the answers. Sorry about the late reply. Like suspected, the forks seals were simply installed the wrong way. I finished pulling everything apart, flipping the seals and putting everything back together and so far forks seem squeaky clean. I believe that's the solution to the problem. I wanted to make sure so I took a ride that I just got back from with heavy breaking and so on in order to put as much strain on the forks as possible and like I said, so far so good. Solution? Be extra careful when handling delicate fork components, get OEM seals and proper fork fluid. With my bike, the 2006 ZX-6RR you will find lettering on one side of the seal. That's the side that should go on top (should be visible when seal is placed inside the fork). On the other side, you will find a lip sticking out. That side should point towards the inside of the fork. I heated my forks up with a torch for a bit to mak taking the seals in and out much easier. Using the old seals to pop the new ones back in is also something I did. Putting a large socket as big as the seal on top of.the old seal will help with squeezing the new seal in. At first, lightly tap with a wrench or small hammer (Immediately after the top of the Fork is heated up). Then use your mass in order to press it in making sure that it sits all the way in so that you're able to slide the locking ring in without issues. Thank you guys again for the help. I truly appreciate it.
Wow a new guy with quality posts that actually asks for advice and follows it.

Hope you stick around man. Glad it worked out for ya!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You gave me a man-boner with that line.

Wow a new guy with quality posts that actually asks for advice and follows it.

Hope you stick around man. Glad it worked out for ya!
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I love the idea of people helping each other out because of a common interest. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts