Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my first motorcycle and I have been looking at gear online, I found some in my price range, but I can't decide between them, I could use some opinions, personal experience, and any other help in my decision making would be greatly appreciated, I'll also consider gear that I didn't lost as long as it's in my price range, so please don't start suggesting gear at twice the price I'm looking for.

Here are the jackets I'm looking at

Alpinestars T-GP air plus - $158

Jacket ALPINESTARS T-GP Plus R Air N / BL / Fluo · Motocard United Kingdom

Alpinestars viper air textile - $145

Alpinestars Viper Air Textile Jacket Black | MotoStorm [en]

Alpinestars gunner WP - $160

Alpinestars Gunner WP Jacket - RevZilla

Cortech GX sport air 3.0 mesh- $250

Cortech GX Sport Air 3.0 Mesh Jacket - RevZilla

Cortech VRX - $163

Cortech VRX Jacket - RevZilla

here are the gloves

Joe rocket flexium TX - $90

Joe Rocket Flexium TX Gloves - RevZilla

Scorpion guardian - $80

Scorpion Guardian Gloves - RevZilla

Cortech latigo RR - $90

Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - RevZilla

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Can't tell you much about the rest of the gear but I've got one of the older Cortech GX air jackets and like it a lot. It flows air really well when your moving. To the point where it won't be a 3 season jacket in Mizzu I'm afraid. Even with the liners in it, it isn't exactly warm even in Florida winters. The older version I have is also very heavy (weight wise). Not sure how something with all that mesh manages to weigh as much as it does but it's heavier than my other non-mesh nylon riding jacket. It fits well and has worn well over a number of years of use though. I would certainly buy another one if this one ever wears out. I got it from Cycle Gear on sale for $89 which was a bargain I thought. Been very happy with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i like my T-GP R air from alpinestar! similar to one u are looking at but has hard shoulder protectors out side has the race look to it and flows great air

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
All the gear you selected is great, what it really comes down to is the proper fitment. Everything MUST BE SNUG to protect efficiently and some brands use different cuts. Dainese, Rev-it and A-star have a more euro fit (closer to slim) while brands like Icon, cortech, have a more relaxed fit. The elbow guards MUST not rotate, if they do the jacket is too big. The good thing about shopping at Revzilla is the return policy and free to exchange. I have at times ordered two of the same items in different sizes to compare fitment and returned the one that did not fit adequately.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
jd41 is correct regarding fact that all of the gear you mentioned above are very good products. Always try on the exact product that you plan on purchasing. Make sure it fits when you're on your bike, and not just walking around a dealership showroom.

All too often young/new riders get caught up in the name game. I personally have 3 sets of outer gear: waterproof - not merely H²O resistant, including boots; what I call my all purpose gear - perforated leather jacket/pants/& boots; my truly super hot weather textile jacket & pants (& my ready mentioned perforated boots). I have probably a dozon pair of gloves because after a few hours of hard riding my hands sweat so much that I have to switch them out for a new pair.

Now notice I didn't mention any brands. If you are comfortable, you will ride better/safer because you are not distracted. Along with the gear already mentioned I also wear other gear, depending on weather conditions. I have an electric undercoat & matching electric gloves. I have thermal undergarments. Hot weather undergarments, too. You are not too to get all of your gear at once. I have an A.B.C. file that chronically updated. What's an A.B.C.file? Anniversary; Birthday; Christmas. This makes gift giving much easier for my wife, family.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the T GP Plus R Air its a decent jacket however I live in Florida and it is absolutely brutal this time of year in the heat. It does NOT flow air very well in this high humidity plus 90degree weather. At night it feels good but if you get caught in the rain you'll freeze lol.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Buy the best gear your money allows

Reactions: BrandonZX6r

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Sorry got interrupted

I have had more than a few customers with those cortech latigo gloves and in 2 summers of riding had the finger seams split open, most of them the thumbs but some had other fingers too.....no crashes, just normal riding

The scorpion---not sure how that model compares to the models from 4-5 years ago..... But I have had a few sets of scorpion gloves that have gone through 40,000+ miles and 3-4 years of use without issue.
And I currently have a pair of Scorpion STG's that I wear on my mostly casual rides.... about 15,000 miles use and perhaps 5 months of actual riding use and they are still looking and feeling good....... I do not like that all the finger including thumb except the pointer are a bit long.... but most off the rack "cheap" gloves have there faults
The only ones I know of on a customer were some short gauntlet glove and he crashed in them and the palms split wide open on both hands---so protection?--well it may be lacking

if you want more serious protection, there are a ton of gloves that are way better, and some for not tons more money.....
STG often has closeout deals, as well as Vans reviews..

I would stay away from any of the AGVSport gloves, I have owned 4 of them in the past 5 years and every one of them had the seems on the palm tear---the leather is simply too thin there IMO, plus too much stitching all over the palm......again IMO

Held has some fantastic gloves in the $180 ^ price range and a bit more but Knox Handroids are also excellent--although I have not had the displeasure of crash testing the handroids...

Your head, your hands and your feet/ankles would be where I would spend the most money for the best protection
jackets and pants are a dime a dozen, and most perform and crash very similarly when comparing apples to apples...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't like the textile jackets. I've owned one before and just didn't like the feel. I bought an Agv dragon leather jacket. I've owned it for about 4 years now and the wear is amazing. I wear it almost everytime I ride. A little on the warm side but extremely comfortable. Lucky enough I don't know how it will fair on the slide. But I'm confident in it. As for gloves, I've yet to find a pair I truly like. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I wore a textile jacket A* jacket for years, and finally got a leather one recently. The leather is MUCH more comfortable. A far better jacket, and I got one on CL for not much more than the ones you're looking at new.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
My only thoughts on gear, are similar to what's been said. Get gear that fits. Get gear with pockets for armor, and buy the best armor you can. CE2 has the hard outer surface, and the foam inside. Good stuff.

Makes sure all seams are at least double stitched.

Don't try and color coordinate your stuff.

Pay attention to your feet, and hands. over the ankle boots make a H-U-G-E difference. Double or triple layers of leather in the gloves work wonders.

If you shop the discount and left overs sections of many sites that sell gear, you can get some serious savings on last year's gear --- I have a textile jacket I use every winter that I bought in 2001. If you don't crash, this stuff lasts so long you may out grow it before you wear it out.

I don't think I would be against used gear, either. Lots of people start out with good intentions, and bail out after investing a sh*t pot of money in the 'very best'.... and don't use the stuff. Gear on a hangar in a closet does nothing for anyone. Take advantage of that.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sorry got interrupted

I have had more than a few customers with those cortech latigo gloves and in 2 summers of riding had the finger seams split open, most of them the thumbs but some had other fingers too.....no crashes, just normal riding

The scorpion---not sure how that model compares to the models from 4-5 years ago..... But I have had a few sets of scorpion gloves that have gone through 40,000+ miles and 3-4 years of use without issue.
And I currently have a pair of Scorpion STG's that I wear on my mostly casual rides.... about 15,000 miles use and perhaps 5 months of actual riding use and they are still looking and feeling good....... I do not like that all the finger including thumb except the pointer are a bit long.... but most off the rack "cheap" gloves have there faults
The only ones I know of on a customer were some short gauntlet glove and he crashed in them and the palms split wide open on both hands---so protection?--well it may be lacking

if you want more serious protection, there are a ton of gloves that are way better, and some for not tons more money.....
STG often has closeout deals, as well as Vans reviews..

I would stay away from any of the AGVSport gloves, I have owned 4 of them in the past 5 years and every one of them had the seems on the palm tear---the leather is simply too thin there IMO, plus too much stitching all over the palm......again IMO

Held has some fantastic gloves in the $180 ^ price range and a bit more but Knox Handroids are also excellent--although I have not had the displeasure of crash testing the handroids...

Your head, your hands and your feet/ankles would be where I would spend the most money for the best protection
jackets and pants are a dime a dozen, and most perform and crash very similarly when comparing apples to apples...
I'm very positive on the gloves that have the palm sliders. I've had a few chances to test out a variety of gloves in crashes lately :unhappy: and both the Knox Handroids and Scorpion SG3 held up well with obvious asphalt wear on the palm sliders and without me wrecking my arms, wrists or shoulders.

The higher your boots the better (I've got scars on my right shin from hitting my frame slider on the last get off), and obviously good ankle protection is important.

I'm a fan of leather jackets, but if you can't afford it and go textile look at the wear ratings - higher is better - but you should assume a textile jacket is pretty much a disposable item. Usually a slide on asphalt makes them unusable after one event.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Scorpion is a fine helmet brand but you must take into consideration the shape of your head and stick to a measurement that is appropriate. One mistake I made some time ago was buying a suomi helmet and going up one size because my usual medium was too tight. The thing was that it was not too tight, it was TOO ROUND.

First thing to do is measure the circumference of your head starting from above the eyebrows to the back of your head at the widest point and matching that to whatever brand you are trying.

Arai produces helmets in every shape, shoei usually more oval, suomi and some HJC are rounder and so on. You have to try them on and make sure there aren't any pressure areas.

Here are some interesting articles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like I'm going to go with the scorpion exo T-1200, thanks guys! The only concern I have is that is has a drop down sun visor, which I love that from a convenience/luxary perspective, but does that make it considerably less safe? To a point that I should forget about the helmet and find one without?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I face planted in my bell star at 75 mph and didn't suffer a concussion. Actually it didn't even hurt lol. The helmet did get a little scratched up, but not very noticeable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts