Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
51656387-4735-4FAE-A9C9-C0E88F890BB6.jpeg Ok here is my question, I have a 2020 zx6r and I recently did full exhaust, ecu flash, bmc filter and a dyno tune set up. This thing has so much decel pop its crazy lol. Its literally like gun shots when I let throttle off or if i rev match on down shifting. The guys that did everything and tuned it said it’s totally normal on a perfectly tuned bike. They said they can add fuel which will get rid of most of it but I will some hp by doing that. L

·
Registered
192 Posts
View attachment 108666 View attachment 108666 Ok here is my question, I have a 2020 zx6r and I recently did full exhaust, ecu flash, bmc filter and a dyno tune set up. This thing has so much decel pop its crazy lol. Its literally like gun shots when I let throttle off or if i rev match on down shifting. The guys that did everything and tuned it said it’s totally normal on a perfectly tuned bike. They said they can add fuel which will get rid of most of it but I will some hp by doing that. L
I have a cat-back, K&N, and ECU flash with "decel fuel cut" disabled. This causes popping on deceleration because the injectors never cut off, but probably not the same extent as you since you have a full system. It's normal and it helps keep all the monkeys around you awake. :)

Do you have a block off plate? Is the Air Induction System (AIS) disabled? I think a BOP would help with popping on decel by removing extra air in the system, but there are more experienced members that may chime in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is what they did when they did the ecu flash
I'm pretty sure installing a block off plate would help with the decel popping by removing air from the system. Did they mention the block off plate installation? That is a very common recommendation for this type of scenario.

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No he didn’t mention that, but by doing that would it have to be tuned again ? A little popping is ok but when this has load on it it really bangs. I can see myself getting a ticket its that loud of a bang lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
No he didn’t mention that, but by doing that would it have to be tuned again ? A little popping is ok but when this has load on it it really bangs. I can see myself getting a ticket its that loud of a bang lol
No, it will not need to be tuned again after installing the plates. Yes, block off plates will remove almost all the popping.

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
39 Posts
If you didn't have it disabled in your ECU by the company who flashed it then you could install the bypass and block off plates yourself.

Installing the plates and bypass is really easy if you're comfortable with taking your tank and airbox off, KawasakiBrad has a pretty great Youtube video for you on his channel on how to remove the tank and box if need be.

While it removes a lot if not all the popping, it makes it simpler to get to your spark plugs and I've heard helps get more accurate readings on the dyno for those who regularly alter their A/F ratios.

(FYI KawasakiBrad also sells his own kit of bypass and block off plates. I've bought a O2 sensor bypass from him already and it was quick and easy shipping to the USA, so A+ from me.)

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Block off plates
Apparently block off plates wont to anything as the popping is coming from the decel pump its turned off, so he said if he turns it on it will get rid of most of it. But now i have a whole other issue. Cold start the bike starts fine for a minute then goes to 4200rpms for a minute then back to normal. And also sometimes the bike after its warmed up idles like a car with a cam it goes up and down. Its at the shop now and they are trying to figure out whats wrong. It was fine before they did the header,link pipe,air filter and dyno tune so i guess they will retrace there steps

·
Registered
192 Posts
Apparently block off plates wont to anything as the popping is coming from the decel pump its turned off, so he said if he turns it on it will get rid of most of it. But now i have a whole other issue. Cold start the bike starts fine for a minute then goes to 4200rpms for a minute then back to normal. And also sometimes the bike after its warmed up idles like a car with a cam it goes up and down. Its at the shop now and they are trying to figure out whats wrong. It was fine before they did the header,link pipe,air filter and dyno tune so i guess they will retrace there steps
Is the "decel fuel cut" enabled or disabled? It's hard to understand what you are tying to say.

The "decel fuel cut" when enabled will cut off the injectors when the throttle is off and turn the injectors back on when throttle is applied. This is a major complaint from Kawi owners about a jerky throttle and extreme engine braking.

In my case, popping only occurs when the "decel fuel cut" is disabled because the injectors stay on all the time which results in popping on decel.

When "decel fuel cut" was enabled I got no popping on decel.

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the "decel fuel cut" enabled or disabled? It's hard to understand what you are tying to say.

The "decel fuel cut" when enabled will cut off the injectors when the throttle is off and turn the injectors back on when throttle is applied. This is a major complaint from Kawi owners about a jerky throttle and extreme engine braking.

In my case, popping only occurs when the "decel fuel cut" is disabled because the injectors stay on all the time which results in popping on decel.

When "decel fuel cut" was enabled I got no popping on decel.

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what he said

No. That's just decel pop. I tend to not add fuel there unless it's requested as it will richen up the mapping in the lower area. However on your particular bike there's a polution pump and when I turn it off to give more hp. It adds decel pop. (As per your request). If you want it turned back on to eliminate alot of the decel pop all you have to do is bring the ecu by the shop.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is what he said

No. That's just decel pop. I tend to not add fuel there unless it's requested as it will richen up the mapping in the lower area. However on your particular bike there's a polution pump and when I turn it off to give more hp. It adds decel pop. (As per your request). If you want it turned back on to eliminate alot of the decel pop all you have to do is bring the ecu by the shop.
I still have no idea if the "decel fuel cut" enabled or disabled based on that response, but it's not important. I was simply curious if the "decel fuel cut" is enabled or disabled as that is configured by the tuner. By default the "decel fuel cau" is enabled and must be disabled by the software.

It sounds like the tuner leaves the "decel fuel cut" disabled so no extra fuel is added during decel.

Also, the AIS system (pollution pump?) is enabled on my bike with no block off plates because I still have the stock header with cat.

·
Registered
2020 zx6r krt edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still have no idea if the "decel fuel cut" enabled or disabled based on that response, but it's not important. I was simply curious if the "decel fuel cut" is enabled or disabled as that is configured by the tuner. By default the "decel fuel cau" is enabled and must be disabled by the software.

It sounds like the tuner leaves the "decel fuel cut" disabled so no extra fuel is added during decel.

Also, the AIS system (pollution pump?) is enabled on my bike with no block off plates because I still have the stock header with cat.
Ok so the decel cutoff was turned off and I was getting a absurd amount of popping. He turned it on

So my pollution pump was off which gives more hp but gives popping. He turned pump on which adds fuel but you lose a couple hp but now popping is gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts