Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the front wheel off using this stand. I want to take my wheels off to get my tires changed because it's cheaper off the bike. They just seem sketchy.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Ya I used ductape on mine and then just ended up buying a used Pit bull stand. Couldn't stand the idea of a 20 dollar stand scratching up some several hundred dollar rotors. :-\

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did notice that. I stuff a sponge I there in the winter so I don't scratch the rotors.
one thing i noticed about the front fork stand, when used for changing the front tire, you have to be extremely careful about putting that axle back in. it seemed like it was never a big deal until this last time when i had my pilot power 3 swapped out for some battlax slicks. i put the axle through and somehow crossthreaded about 1/4 of thread on the receiving end :thumbdown:

i was able to repair it by screwing the axle in from the other side until it got to the garbled thread and just kept screwing until it went through clean. but i had to get a pitbull headlift stand. the front fork stand, it's a little easy for the forks to get out of alignment with each other when hte axle isn't there (they immediately line back up when the axle slides through, but i found out the hard way that it is possible to crossthread it).

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The front stand is ok, but stay away from that POS rear stand. That's the most unstable thing I've ever seen in my life. I'm sure lifting the bike up 10ft in the air has something to do with it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I had front and rear trackside stands. The rear failed on me and sent my bike to the ground, and the front was just as sketch.

I took the back and exchanged them for deeply discounted pit bulls :)

I'll never use or recommend anything less than pit bull stands again.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
You can find a used set of pit bulls on craigslist. I think I have 2 rear and 2 fronts that I've purchased as extras.

The most I paid was 150 for front forklift and reverse rear. I paid 75 for one front forklift and 60 for one standard rear.

Deals are out there.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,758 Posts
I did notice that. I stuff a sponge I there in the winter so I don't scratch the rotors.
I have both. They work fine for any job. I do have a Pit Bull front now tho....

As far as scratching rotor, just reverse mounting bolts for fork holders. Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
12,523 Posts
+ 1 for pitbulls worth every penny.
ey3

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cycle Gear sucks. Ive had good luck with PitBull, Vortex, and Woodcraft stands. All are good quality, sturdy, and last a long time. 10 years on my Vortex and Pit Bulls. I gave my friend my Woodcrafts to get him started a couple years back and they still work stellar as well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a set of t-Rex stands. I had to weld them because they twisted too much. I picked up a front cycle gear stand and brought it back because it twisted too much. Going with a pit bull....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally, I prefer the cycle gear trackside forklift over the pitbull forklift (the old style anyway) I've had bikes slip off the pit bull pads, and with the springs in the cycle gear ones they go up easier. Converted my pit bull to head lift and won't use it as forklift again. -Steven

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I had front and rear trackside stands. The rear failed on me and sent my bike to the ground, and the front was just as sketch.

I took the back and exchanged them for deeply discounted pit bulls :)

I'll never use or recommend anything less than pit bull stands again.
+1 for this. Only stands in my garage are pit bull stands. Straight up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts