Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just wanted some advice and opinions on this idea I got for a custom exhaust on my 08 zx6r. As you all know, it has the undertail exhaust which prevents me from installing a "shorty" exhaust. I currently have a yoshi rs-5 slip on but I was talking to my buddy one day and thought that if trimmed away the fairing where the pipe comes off the catalytic converter and starts to curve up, maybe I could get a weld shop to weld a piece of pipe straight out from that. Or, maybe I could get a shorty exhaust and get some mandrel bent pipe to go straight out behind my right foot instead of up and out the tail of the bike. What do you guys think. I'm on vacation right now so I don't have access to my bike to take pictures to show you what I'm talking about but I'll upload some pics of what I mean when I can. Thanks for any help guys. Cheers

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
It'll sound like fucking elephant shit. Please don't do it. Jesus I hate that 07 08. But they are definitely better with the undertail. Plus itll plain awful

·
Registered
441 Posts
That generation has the best looking tail, why would you want to change it? :O

Are you just trying to make it louder?

Reactions: Burnt toast

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Anything is possible with some fabrication. But I wouldnt get rid of the undertail. I have an 06 and I replaced it with an M4 GP exhaust... still kept it undertail tho.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
First off you don't have to change the tail.
You could in fact cut some of the heat shielding down for a better sleeker look,

& why will it sound like shit????

It can be done, If done right be made to look good, But be ready to retune the fueling.
& do not have it welded. Get a peace of pipe for your mid pipe.
You will have to cut it to fit & you may have to bend it some.
But with some work & fiddling you can do it.

I turned my side mount into a low mount.....

Reactions: ilotek

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you just want a badass exhaust that is loud wait until MTM gets done with his 07/08 design. Hands down the sickest sounding exhaust ive herd.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Straight pipe??

Because he can run the 09+ headers and install an M4/Comp Werkes exhaust that will sound probably very similar to the 09-12
That is exactly the best option, 09 header with M4 or any 09+ slip on will work with little to no modding. And sorry BT but yes with the M4 it's going to sound just about identical to your beloved bike lol

Reactions: Schooley

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
That is exactly the best option, 09 header with M4 or any 09+ slip on will work with little to no modding. And sorry BT but yes with the M4 it's going to sound just about identical to your beloved bike lol
:laugh

This made me LOL

This will probably be a route I will take with my bike depending on how I like the akra I just picked up from hellonearth

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
He didnt say the in his post. But yes that would work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That generation has the best looking tail, why would you want to change it? :O

Are you just trying to make it louder?
Yes I am. I would just get the Yoshi rs-5 full exhaust but it's like $800 and money is tight. although I'm not so sure about doing this exhaust now bc I don't have a power commander or anything like that and it already burbles and pops with the slip on I have now. With a straight pipe or shorty exhaust those sounds will be more amplified and I don't think that is worth having a louder exhaust

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Somewhere on here someone did it already on that generation. Think it was just an exhaust tip from the auto parts store clamped on to the pipe that exits the cat. Cut the fairing to make room for it to clear. Can't recall who it was or when. It was a while back though.

Sound like vision is highly personal. One persons ugly is another persons beauty. So just ignore BT. He has no taste and will tell you it sound like shit just because it's an '08. Regardless of what you do to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did it on my 03 R6. Chopped the pipe and clamped an 06+ R6 stock exhaust on. It'll make it higher pitched and raspy for sure along with eliminating most of your backpressure so you'll probably lose some low-end. To each their own, I say.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
CrazyMater built a custom exhaust for Yabbaz, doesn't he have an 08?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hopefully you give us a sound byte when ur done. Sounds like an interesting project. And to OND what was the new can you got? Looks really nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts