Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have started to notice that if I sit on my bike, and then push it forward or backward, and brake hard (front only), there is a sound from the front area of the bike that sounds like crushing a solo cup with your hand, or stepping on a squished pop bottle.

I notice this if I shift in a non smooth way as well, it seems to happen on hard bumps, but not always.

Does anyone recognize this? What are the usual suspects?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,480 Posts
A brittle, crackly noise isn't a normal thing..... engaging the brakes with rotor with holes in them, and aggressive friction material pads will make more noise than you may be used to. That's usually more of a shshshsh kind of thing. If rust has formed on the rotor or on the pads, that will make a crunching sort of nose as it is scraped off.

If you only hear it when the wheel is locked -- brakes on hard enough to stop the wheel and you get the noise when the suspension compresses... that's almost certainly within the suspension. But it could be body work.

It would help diagnosis if you can take some close up photos or your lower fork legs, and the rotors.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Although your description leaves alot to be desired............. There really are only a couple mechanical things up front to make any noise possibly....

Have you checked steering head bearings?
Have you checked to make sure all the triple clamp bolts are tight holding the forks and bars?
Have you checked to make sure your calipers are tight and so are the brake pads and that they are not worn out?

What year bike would possibly help too..... But fork internals if something broke or bent or all the oil has leaked out???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry but once I see "joined 17h ago" and a question like this..........makes me concerned for your life expectancy.

"Crunchy" noises are never good. Worst case scenario it's coming from your front end, which you think it is. Don't get me wrong, forums are a valuable resource, but they won't put the fire out when your house is burning down. Your metaphorical house is about to explode.

Your first step is what many people do. You're here and not sure where the worst sound your bike can make is coming from, or what could possibly make that sound, and you're asking the internet. :unsure:

It sounds very serious.
Next step: Call a dealer, phone a friend, but please take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello,

I have started to notice that if I sit on my bike, and then push it forward or backward, and brake hard (front only), there is a sound from the front area of the bike that sounds like crushing a solo cup with your hand, or stepping on a squished pop bottle.

I notice this if I shift in a non smooth way as well, it seems to happen on hard bumps, but not always.

Does anyone recognize this? What are the usual suspects?

Thanks
Is there a KitKat bar underneath your front wheel? Or maybe some cool ranch doritos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2013.

It does sound like bodywork actually.
Maybe I should have said that instead of saying solo cup / squished pop bottle.

I'll take the fairings off the right side just to see if there is something loose that shifts around and hits the fairings. Sounds like a pebble rolling around in there.
Unless I find a loose rock rattling around in the front right fairing, I'll be sending it to the shop.
I'll park the bike for now.

I was just hoping that someone would say "Oh yeah, I had that problem, it's _".
Save some time and possibly money.
I guess not. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although your description leaves alot to be desired............. There really are only a couple mechanical things up front to make any noise possibly....

Have you checked steering head bearings?
Have you checked to make sure all the triple clamp bolts are tight holding the forks and bars?
Have you checked to make sure your calipers are tight and so are the brake pads and that they are not worn out?

What year bike would possibly help too..... But fork internals if something broke or bent or all the oil has leaked out???
I get that, but it's hard for me to say, it's a light sound that isn't loud.

Don't have a jack for checking the head bearings.
All of the front forks are good, no leaks rust or anything, brakes have plenty of material no rust on the discs, they are not warped or discolored.
discs are not loose as far as I can tell.

I tried tightening everything, but it's all tight.

The bike came with the full history from all the shops it went to, as far back as the original owner, including the last service / inspection on the 25th of last month.
I didn't get this issue on the test ride.

Everything checked out as far as I saw. But whatever, like I mentioned, unless there is a loose rock or something, I'll just send it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but once I see "joined 17h ago" and a question like this..........makes me concerned for your life expectancy.

"Crunchy" noises are never good. Worst case scenario it's coming from your front end, which you think it is. Don't get me wrong, forums are a valuable resource, but they won't put the fire out when your house is burning down. Your metaphorical house is about to explode.

Your first step is what many people do. You're here and not sure where the worst sound your bike can make is coming from, or what could possibly make that sound, and you're asking the internet. :unsure:

It sounds very serious.
Next step: Call a dealer, phone a friend, but please take it to someone that knows what they are doing.
I appreciate the concern.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good to pay attention to your bike. My last bike I was slowing to make a left turn onto an interstate, heard a pop from I thought the front. Thought to myself "almost there need to check front brake pads when i get there". 36 miles later after running 80 to 80 I roll off the throttle and exit, two downshifts and pop pop pop, very loud mechanical popping and even some judders from the bike! Major rear wheel bearing failure!!!! Still scares me thinking of how fast I ride with it in that condition! Try to keep them from living in my head but always pay attention to noises my bike makes, some are just normal - Kawasaki tick for example that are ignored.

I'm pulling for the rock in the fairing - good story and good ending

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems the fairings have some loose parts on the inside. There is a piece of plastic that shifts if I brake violently enough that it chaffes against the right headlight (on the inside of the fairing) making the noise.

The original owner put some LED lights on the fairings, most of them don't even work. Apparently he didn't know how to take the fairings off 100% correctly, so he damaged some of the plastic hooks on the fairings.

He also ripped off the screw connecting the main right fairing to the front fairing that surrounds the headlights (mine is KRT green) That'll need some JB weld for sure.

The shop tightened the bolts holding the front axle, as the bolts on the left side were loose enough to be out of spec.

Head bearings are Ok, the suspension is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts