Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum. I'm a proud owner of a 2003 zx6r that I recently bought at a wrecker yard for 600 bucks the bike has a little over 7500 miles on it. The bike stood in the sun is say for at least 6 months. I took it home swapped the tank with another zx6 I had here. The bike started right up. I rode it for about a month. Then I decided to get a new Yoshi exhaust, new plastics, headlight assembly. The bike stood for about 3 weeks before I got to put all the new parts on. In between that time I decide to flush the brake fluid and ignition switch (other one was damaged). So after all was done I go to start the bike and I get a crank no start with FI light blinking durning cranking. The other things I noticed was no spark, and the pump is not priming. This is what I've done so far.

•pressure tested fuel pump (44psi)
•tested vehicle down sensor (good)
•checked side stand switch (good)
•battery is good
•clutch switch (good)
•all relays & fuses are good
•opened and cleaned hand switches
•checked ECU for power & ground
•swapped out ECU
•new plugs
I'm at the point where if I can't fix it soon I will be sending out to get fixed.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
First off,, hello and welcome to the forum..

IMO,, put the damaged ignition switch back on it.. Then slowly go back to the setup the bike had when it last run.

You either installed a bum part OR left something disconnected during the swap over.
Since you managed to replace all those parts, your capable of fixing it, since you broke it.
Now if your willing to pay someone else to find the bum part or once disconnected them who am I to stop you.
Just wish you lived closer, enjoy easy money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like a immobilizer key needs to be programmed to the ECU.. But then again who knows I'm Not even sure these bikes had those installed on them like cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I cleaned every plug and connector under the tank and all over the motor. I sprayed electronic cleaner then pressurized air do clean all the build up, it should've done the trick. I also ran an injector test. With the injector diode kit for automotive and I was not getting any signal either. I think I remember a test to determine if the ECU is in the bad,I will check it out tomorrow and post the outcome. I'm determined to find out what's going on with this bike.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
There should be a white wire coming out of your ignition barrel. Check that wire and make sure it isnt cut or shorting out. If that one is fine then check all the wires in that area. I can guarantee you one of those is the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the switch to the out of the equation(hot wire), still the same. I'm checking the relays right now. The power and ground from ECU are good. Soon I will pull out the main harness and inspect it. I will post the outcome soon. I will find it!!!

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Before u go any further I would suggest jump starting the bike from a car battery (keep car engine off). On some of these bikes a low battery will turn the engine but wont spark. And itll do some weird shit with the electronics too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this weekend I checked to see if I was getting proper voltage from the ECU, everything is checking out good. Seems like this is a one of a kind problem. I've search for information , i've tested every wire and connector ,and now posted a thread on the problem with no luck so far. I'm going to buy a new battery for it (28$) and see what that does. If that does not do it I'm going to send it to the dealer here in town, and I'm probably going to have to buy it back from them. Lol!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm struggling with just the same kinda bike and issue..checked it all..same model with same problem! Cranks with flashing FI light..no spark..no nothing! Son drove it in garage..last year with a little symptoms..once it ran but then nothing! Was there a solution to this thread or..? We're very pleased if someone can find the answer.. Thx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
12.7v on the battery. But I will give it a try. I've been
I'm struggling with just the same kinda bike and issue..checked it all..same model with same problem! Cranks with flashing FI light..no spark..no nothing! Son drove it in garage..last year with a little symptoms..once it ran but then nothing! Was there a solution to this thread or..? We're very pleased if someone can find the answer.. Thx!
busy with other things at the moment. But I will post results when I get to it this weekend.
Did you find a solution - having same problem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts